Would CAK schedule Alcoa if they did not have to?

Old Warhorse

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is lots of talk about CAK always having to play Alcoa. There was a post on another thread where a CAK fan reponded to a remark that Webb and Catholic would not schedule Alcoa but they played Alcoa at least twice a year.

Would CAK schedule Alcoa if it was a non-district game?

I don't think there is any question: CAK would NOT schedule Alcoa if it were not a district game. Primarily due to the new guidelines for getting into the playoffs every win and loss counts, and at this juncture Alcoa is King of the Mountain regardless of classification. However; being forced to do so has most definitely made CAK a much better football team IMO. CAK did schedule Elizabethton as a non-district game, and they are a top 10 3A Playoff team, to go along with district foes Alcoa & Loudon. Not to mention that CAK plays schools with over triple their enrollment (just over 400 students this year).

My post on the other thread did not mention Catholic, only Webb. I mentioned Webb because they talk about CAK running from them like they dont run from anybody. I'm pointing out that if it is true that they would not schedule Alcoa then they are the "pot calling the kettle black".

Edited by FootballDad

Under the current guidelines for making the playoffs, it would be stupid for anyone to schedule Alcoa in a non district game. That's just using your head. Let's see..........I can play Alcoa with pretty good odds that I'm going to get beat, or I can schedule a class A school that just started their program and get the same exact credit for the W when it comes playoff time.

I'm surprised the reigning state champions in any classification can get a non district schedule together unless they play each other. The same reason UT opted out of the UNC game. There's a magic number of wins a team needs to get into the playoffs. Why in the world would they schedule a game they have small chance of winning?

Under the current guidelines for making the playoffs, it would be stupid for anyone to schedule Alcoa in a non district game. That's just using your head. Let's see..........I can play Alcoa with pretty good odds that I'm going to get beat, or I can schedule a class A school that just started their program and get the same exact credit for the W when it comes playoff time.

I'm surprised the reigning state champions in any classification can get a non district schedule together unless they play each other. The same reason UT opted out of the UNC game. There's a magic number of wins a team needs to get into the playoffs. Why in the world would they schedule a game they have small chance of winning?

You play a team like Alcoa in the regular season so you are battle tested come playoff time. All good coach's know that sometimes playing a good team and losing will help you a lot more than playing a small A school and winning. Bottom line is if your good enough to make the playoffs and make a deep run you want to be battle tested.

You play a team like Alcoa in the regular season so you are battle tested come playoff time. All good coach's know that sometimes playing a good team and losing will help you a lot more than playing a small A school and winning. Bottom line is if your good enough to make the playoffs and make a deep run you want to be battle tested.

Very true. Alcoa's non-district game with Maryville every year has elevated Alcoa's game.

I would like to say yes because Coach Bradley would want to get the experience. but who knows...

PS...I dont see teams lining up to play CAK either and with the playoffs on the line it will be harder for smaller teams(division that is) to find people to play.

What I would like to see is a double header with CAK and ALCOA playing two teams from Nashville or Chattanooga at a neutral site on the same day. Maybe the Sat. of Week 0 (kinda like the Knoxville vs Morristown). Would be interested to see if there would be any takers :mrgreen: Maybe Football Dad, GVK, CG, and APB can get working on that!

Edited by RonMexico

I don't think there is any question: CAK would NOT schedule Alcoa if it were not a district game. Primarily due to the new guidelines for getting into the playoffs every win and loss counts, and at this juncture Alcoa is King of the Mountain regardless of classification. However; being forced to do so has most definitely made CAK a much better football team IMO. CAK did schedule Elizabethton as a non-district game, and they are a top 10 3A Playoff team, to go along with district foes Alcoa & Loudon. Not to mention that CAK plays schools with over triple their enrollment (just over 400 students this year).

My post on the other thread did not mention Catholic, only Webb. I mentioned Webb because they talk about CAK running from them like they dont run from anybody. I'm pointing out that if it is true that they would not schedule Alcoa then they are the "pot calling the kettle black".

Excellent summation and I agree with you wholeheartedly, Brother!

I don't think any coach or AD in his right mind would schedule Alcoa for a regular season non-district game right now if he didn't have to as a last resort in filling out a ten game schedule. There really isn't any upside to doing it, and that's just not debatable, in my opinion.

I don't think any coach or AD in his right mind would schedule Alcoa for a regular season non-district game right now if he didn't have to as a last resort in filling out a ten game schedule. There really isn't any upside to doing it, and that's just not debatable, in my opinion.

Only upper level higher classification teams, like Maryville, or DII teams that are likely going to the playoffs anyway have a GOOD reason for scheduling Alcoa. You could be battle tested and sit your butt at home for 3 and 4 seeds and 1 and 2 seeds are going to get their shot soon enough. I agree with the premise if the win loss record isn't the very first thing that gets looked at for making the playoffs and seeding. Take that loss and knock yourself either out of or lower ranked in the seedings. Shooting yourself in the foot as far as I'm concerned if I'm in 3A or below and have the option.

Edited by ksgovols

Only upper level higher classification teams, like Maryville, or DII teams that are likely going to the playoffs anyway have a GOOD reason for scheduling Alcoa. You could be battle tested and sit your butt at home for 3 and 4 seeds and 1 and 2 seeds are going to get their shot soon enough. I agree with the premise if the win loss record isn't the very first thing that gets looked at for making the playoffs and seeding. Take that loss and knock yourself either out of or lower ranked in the seedings. Shooting yourself in the foot as far as I'm concerned if I'm in 3A or below and have the option.

I would not schedule Alcoa for 2 reasons. They are on our schedule:

1. They are going to beat you.

2. During the process key injuries can occur.

I hate it for teams such as CAK and Loudon. These two teams were probably the best teams behind Alcoa last year in 3a, and they have to play them early in the playoffs. I wish they could work it out to where district opp. cannot face each other until the semi-finals of the playoffs. Better than that would be to bring the top four remaining teams from the tournament and play at TECH avoiding district teams playing each other until the state championship. I realize this is not the case every year, but it seems this is how it has went down the last few years.

Alcoa is going to have a ton of trouble filling out a schedule once some of their current contracts are up. J. Stevens will have to earn his keep.

I wish all teams in Blount County would schedule them. The gate for each game would go a long way for all programs involved. Let's be honest, I doubt Alcoa would be the reason WB or Heritage didn't make the playoffs.

I agree with your premise, but I don't believe that necessarily applies to playing Alcoa if it's not required. There is no question that if you (intentionally or not) play a mostly easy schedule during the regular season you will not be prepared when the playoffs start. This has been a concern with upper east TN teams in the past as well as some other districts. However, in the past several years, Alcoa has truly been at a different level than the rest of 3A. And with the TSSAA putting such an emphasis on total wins, it is going to be more and more difficult for the better teams to fill their schedule.

For instance, if CAK scheduled 3 6A powerhouses and played well but lost, and then lost to Alcoa, they would finish the season 6-4 IF they won the rest of their games. CAK might be "battle tested" but they would get no credit from the TSSAA for their schedule.

Take last year for example: CAK finished the regular season at 9-1 with the only loss being to Alcoa. They won those 9 games convincingly. When the seeding was done, CAK still played Alcoa in the second round of the playoffs. Alcoa has knocked CAK out of the playoffs 5 years in a row in no later than the second round.

As much as I enjoy the discussion with my friends from Alcoa, playing them once a year would be okay with me.