MBA vs Maplewood

FridayFootballFan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, home field advantage means nothing for a neighborhood football game. If one team must travel 1.5-2.0+ hours on a bus to play the game then it's tough on high school athletes as most have never really had to travel and play a game. A major advantage for MBA should be the play of special teams. For some reason most of the Nashville Metro Public Schools have a difficult time with their special teams.

Edited by cbg

IMO, home field advantage means nothing for a neighborhood football game. If one team must travel 1.5-2.0+ hours on a bus to play the game then it's tough on high school athletes as most have never really had to travel and play a game. A major advantage for MBA should be the play of special teams. For some reason most of the Nashville Metro Public Schools have a difficult time with their special teams.

That's a interesting observation on Nashville HS special teams.

Do you think that coaches don't emphasis special team play, 2nd/3rd team playing special teams, or discipline? Or something else?

Do you think that coaches don't emphasis special team play, 2nd/3rd team playing special teams, or discipline? Or something else?

If you break the game down to offense, defense & special teams it is very simple. Special teams is 1/3 (33.333%) of the game and most high schools only spend a small amount of time on special teams. If schools average practicing 2.5 hours per day on M,T & W and 1 hour on Thursday the total practice time for a week is 8.5 hours of football practice per week but they probably only spend 30 minutes on special teams. If you really want to be good at something (special teams play) you must not only practice hard but practice smart. The old saying that offense sells tickets, defense wins games & special teams play wins championships is true.

What many Nashville public high schools lack is a decent kicking game; especially field goal kicking. Just being able to get three points on drives stopped inside the twenty yard line can make a decided difference in close games. The kicking game is so bad on some teams that they don't even bother trying to kick the extra point. There's a reason why two points is awarded for a run/pass attempt. It's not as much a given as the kick.

Wow I didn't know football was so technical.. Let me see ..I think ill go with Maplewood.. I mean why not? ..I don't think MBA has the overall speed that Hillsboro has on defense .they had a pretty solid solid game .. The special teams for Maplewood is better than it has been in the previous seasons.( Maplewood needs to prepare for onside kicks not only for this game but every game after on every kick ..I'm just saying ..because I know they are coming I've seen this before ) oh ..sorry got off track with that side note ..I must say that to contain PC was a great job ..and you have a similar task again this week.. If Maplewood can limit the mistakes, penalties and contain your backs on defense ..which they are capable of doing.. I feel they can and should win this game.. Maplewood's QB has a great arm! looking forward to see this guy get it going.

Maplewood 27 MBA 17

Edited by boski

Wow I didn't know football was so technical.. Let me see ..I think ill go with Maplewood.. I mean why not? ..I don't think MBA has the overall speed that Hillsboro has on defense .they had a pretty solid solid game .. The special teams for Maplewood is better than it has been in the previous seasons.( Maplewood needs to prepare for onside kicks not only for this game but every game after on every kick ..I'm just saying ..because I know they are coming I've seen this before ) oh ..sorry got off track with that side note ..I must say that to contain PC was a great job ..and you have a similar task again this week.. If Maplewood can limit the mistakes, penalties and contain your backs on defense ..which they are capable of doing.. I feel they can and should win this game.. Maplewood's QB has a great arm! looking forward to see this guy get it going.

Maplewood 27 MBA 17

What does Maplewood have on the line this year? I know you graduated at least one really good one last year. Also, how deep is Maplewood? P-C didn't do much substituting last week, and were beginning to have some cramping issues.

Are games still on tonight – at MBA or anywhere else in town (or even the entire state)? It appears as if there may have been a high school football apocalypse last night that has rendered all other games for tonight and the remainder of the season useless due to lack of talent, coaching, and an overall inability to put a competitive product on the field.

What does Maplewood have on the line this year? I know you graduated at least one really good one last year. Also, how deep is Maplewood? P-C didn't do much substituting last week, and were beginning to have some cramping issues.

Stone is gone!! and the d-line and o-line are still just as big and physical as you can remember!

Maplewood roster seems smaller this year ...compaired to a 90 player list you guys are boasting ..but you know the saying ..you can only play 11 at a time.

Panthers run and pass d looks great!! ..and MBA will try to run every trap counter and dive they can think of... so this should be a very good test for the panthers

Coach Armstrong has this defense ready to play!!

the cooler weather should help with the cramping ..so i dont see that being a real issue. P-C showed a weakness in you guys defense ..but didnt take full advantage of it ...i hope maplewood offensive coaches takes notes from game film.

Are games still on tonight – at MBA or anywhere else in town (or even the entire state)? It appears as if there may have been a high school football apocalypse last night that has rendered all other games for tonight and the remainder of the season useless due to lack of talent, coaching, and an overall inability to put a competitive product on the field.

I think it's like the death of a member of the royal family, or a head of state. Everything needs to shut down for 3-4 days so that people can recover.