Sullivan South vs. Daniel Boone 9/3/2010

2000southreb81

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real season starts with conference play. I know its early but this is a big game for us right now. I believe our first two solid (west) and very good (GHS) opponents, should of prepared us well. I know we haven't looked the way we wanted to yet but hopefully the offense will gel. If we win this game, i see a 6-7 win season. If we lose, 3-4 wins this year. Whats holding us back right now? Is it the playing calling? chemistry? scheme? or do we just not have the horses this year? I'll hang up and listen, thanks for having me on the show! :thumb:

Guest footballfan100

have you not watched the games yet??? play calling seems a little....i mean, a lot.....predictable!! lets count south's offensive plays in two games and see how many keepers have been to the qb....he must be a tough cookie!

have you not watched the games yet??? play calling seems a little....i mean, a lot.....predictable!! lets count south's offensive plays in two games and see how many keepers have been to the qb....he must be a tough cookie!

I would caution against assuming that it is all the play calling ff1oo. That read option gives the QB the choice to give or keep. If the O-line is not creating a lane to run in then there's a problem. If the QB is calling his number too much then that's probably a problem as well. I think the only true, called QB run is that bunch set where he keeps it with no option.

I would caution against assuming that it is all the play calling ff1oo. That read option gives the QB the choice to give or keep. If the O-line is not creating a lane to run in then there's a problem. If the QB is calling his number too much then that's probably a problem as well. I think the only true, called QB run is that bunch set where he keeps it with no option.

I'm pretty sure there were more than a few times last night when he had no option...he was running for his life from big #50. I honestly thought last night, the problem was the line....they had double and triple coverage on big Mel and he was still in the backfield all night. Rollins would have been back there all night too if he had worn his break-away jersey.

I love and respect the coaches and I know if you are not on the field and in the dressing room everyday then you don't have the whole picture. So I will say this with that in mind. I won't harp on this the rest of the year. I have said it twice and this is the last time. After this I will shut up and work.

After attending last nights game I have concluded that what I have said previously is gospel. Did you see the back side screen that Jordan caught? Did you see his acceleration? This guy has some wheels. Get him in space and we have a weapon. BUT! He is not a RB that you can send up the gut and expect him to succeed. You can beat his head against the wall all season long and he is never going to become a RB in the mold that we have had in previous years. HOWEVER, he has skills. And they need to be utilyzed. This is the first play this season he has been utilized. He is out of position. Period.

In contrast to Jordan we have another athlete who by many is concidered to be the best we have. He did not touch the ball last night. JC Garvin is out of position. Period. JC needs to be in the backfield and Jordan needs to be in the slot position. Put somebody else at TE. Jordan has breakaway speed and we are sending him up the gut. JC is an animal and we are wasting him at TE. How many times are we going to get the ball in his hands this season at TE? Mark my words. We will not win a game in the current configuration.

If these changes are made then we get two dividends. Combine JC with Hubbard and then we have a threat. Because when Jordan gets the ball in his hands in space then he will make something happen.

My opinion. Everyone has one, including everyone I was sitting near who were saying it first. However, I will say it outloud.

Just an Ole' Devil that says go Rebs. This is the week that it happens. Stay positive. Whether the Devils are the best team you play or not is irrelevant. But it was the best D line you will face. When you were forced to double team and or change blocking schemes you were automatically outnumbered and it allowed the Backers to run freely. Goal of every defense in America. Keep the O line low, come off the line and it will be a different week.

My opinion. Everyone has one, including everyone I was sitting near who were saying it first. However, I will say it outloud.

Maybe the problem is who you were sitting around. Mostly pure silliness. It is this thinking that got South where they are today. Putting the Garvin kid in the backfield. Please. May I repeat what I said earlier:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

"South loses the 1st three. Bank it. The Good Ole Boy Crew is in way over their heads."

Posted 4 days ago

"This one was decided months ago. Greeneville Big.

Can't hide it. It's not going away."

Posted A week ago

"The grumbling starts. I figured, as I posted, it would take 0-3 to start hearing from the so call faithful.

Well coached teams will take the West game and make adjustments to improve. Could this this happen for South? No. If they had not put all their eggs in just a few baskets, they may have had a chance. They have developed a few players for this game plan and other than a trick play here or there they are stuck. Wrong players, wrong positions and wrong game plan. If one of these players is out a game or two look for a loss to, dare I say it...Vol., Crockett or even Central.

Too bad for the players and the true supporters."

End Quote.

The situation South finds itself in is a direct result of the coaching. They picked out the "superstars" before the first practice, with input from their "cronies" and put the teams future in their hands. Now you want to take it even a step further. It is too late. They haven't developed but these few future "superstars" and are now stuck and scrambling. Laziness? Arrogance? This is precisely why good athletes are walking the halls and not on the field. They had no chance. Again, too bad.

Guest footballfan100

comp,

if jordan has this kind of acceleration and speed and is a runnning back...then why is he continually running up the middle and "bashing his head"? as far as JC is concerened, he has excellent hands to catch the ball and is fearless!! what would be the problem with putting him at fullback some and running a few sweeps and be the lead block for the speedster jordan??

another question, maybe i have missed this play somewhere, but does the rebel coaching staff have a pitch play in their playbook anywhere? its pretty simple to think that if you have speed like this jordan evidently has, why not put him in space and let him run?

ok then...one more question..why did the coaching staff put #10 in to play running back last night for only the one play (which he fumbled) on the twenty yard line of greeneville when south had their 3 running backs (Cassell, Hubbard, and Steffey) on the sideline?? this really had the entire bleachers scratching their head!!! I would love to hear the explanation for this decision and whos call it was. Absolutely makes no sense!!!

This even had another coach sitting in the stands scratching his head.....