BIG 8 Week 3

The Hill

Thank you BatmanDB and crawdad. I've had the pleasure this year so far to watch I believe Boone and Seymour, Science Hill and Elizabethton, and Boone at Sullivan South. I must say Sullivan South is a beautiful place on friday evenings. So far I have enjoyed the competitiveness. I also make sure to catch the channel 11 Touchdown Friday Night. I can't believe how fast they are able to put together that program. I'm looking forward to watching Dobyns-Bennett and Tennessee High play. I'm not sure yet who cupcakes are in the area and who aren't, but judging by outcomes of the games not seeing in person these two teams sound electric. I'm sorry for the blabing today. I will lay low since I have no dogs in the race. Just letting you all know I am really enjoying the area. Nothing makes you feel at home like the Friday Night Lights.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you BatmanDB and crawdad. I've had the pleasure this year so far to watch I believe Boone and Seymour, Science Hill and Elizabethton, and Boone at Sullivan South. I must say Sullivan South is a beautiful place on friday evenings. So far I have enjoyed the competitiveness. I also make sure to catch the channel 11 Touchdown Friday Night. I can't believe how fast they are able to put together that program. I'm looking forward to watching Dobyns-Bennett and Tennessee High play. I'm not sure yet who cupcakes are in the area and who aren't, but judging by outcomes of the games not seeing in person these two teams sound electric. I'm sorry for the blabing today. I will lay low since I have no dogs in the race. Just letting you all know I am really enjoying the area. Nothing makes you feel at home like the Friday Night Lights.

FNCDB, it's enjoyable to hear from someone who doesn't have a dog in the race. Our own allegiances can sometimes hamper our objectivity. I couple of years ago, I copied a section of THS's website that gave a brief description of the history of the Big 8. I found it to be very interesting. Here it is:

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BIG EIGHT/ MOUNTAIN LAKES CONFERENCE

One of the oldest athletic conferences in the state, the Big Eight/Mountain Lakes Conference was organized as the "Big Five Conference" in 1928. The five charter member schools were Bristol Tennessee High, Elizabethton, Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett, Johnson City Science Hill, and Unicoi County of Erwin. The Big Five was organized by the following coaches: John Barnhill of Tennessee High, Leroy Sprankle of Dobyns-Bennett, and Niles "Mule" Brown of Elizabethton. Morristown joined the conference in 1935 to make it the Big Six conference for the next four years, until dropping out in 1940, reducing the conference to five members.

In 1956, Greeneville joined the conference and it became known again as the Big Six until 1959 when Morristown East joined to make it the Big Seven. Sullivan East and Sullivan Central joined in 1971 as the conference grew to nine members.

Greeneville and Morristown East pulled out in 1977 to join the Inter-mountain Conference, dropping the number of members to seven once more. The conference reached its' maximum number in 1980 as Sullivan North, Sullivan South, and Volunteer joined in to develop the Big Ten Conference. Then, in 1983, charter member Unicoi County dropped down to the "AA" Watauga Conference, reducing the league to nine teams once more, until Daniel Boone of Gray was added in 1987.

The Big Ten remained intact until the TSSAA re-classified football from three classifications to five in 1993. The conference was classified as a "AAAA" league, moving charter members Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill to "AAAAA", and Volunteer to "AAA", therefore reducing the number of members to six. In 1995, re-classification brought on the addition of Rogersville Cherokee, Greeneville, and Jonesboro David Crockett, but moving Sullivan North to "AAA", making the number of teams in the conference nine. This season also brought on the name "Mountain Lakes Conference", referring to the many mountains and lakes in close proximity to the member schools. The TSSAA would change the look of the conference once more in 1997, removing Cherokee, Greeneville, and David Crockett to region two, reducing the number of schools again to six, the lowest number of member schools since 1955.

In 2001, the TSSAA would make another realignment, adding Johnson County of Mountain City and charter member Unicoi County to the current members Tennessee High, Elizabethton, Sullivan Central, Daniel Boone, Sullivan South, and Sullivan East to form what is now known as the Mountain Lakes Conference.

In November of 2004, the TSSAA re-aligned once more. Changes came about again for region one, with Sullivan North deciding to move up to class 4A for financial reasons. This move forced the TSSAA to remove one of the nine region one teams and place them into region two. That team would be Daniel Boone, placing them back into what was called the Intermountain Confence twenty years ago. Daniel Boone's departure leaves region one with the following members: Tennessee High, Elizabethton, Sullivan Central, Daniel Boone, Sullivan South, Sullivan East, Johnson County, Unicoi County, and Sullivan North.

Edited by THSVikings2004

Indians 34 Bears 17 - DB has just too many weapons for the Bears.....

MW 20 SH 17 - West is tough

TH 30 VH 6 - Vikings are good and getting better.......

South 29 GC 27 - this is a toss-up and could go either way

Cherokee 17 Vol 13 - maybe yes, maybe no

DC 26 CC 10 - DC breazes through this one

Dobyns Bennett-28

Sevier County-21

Brewer is easly the best coach DB will face during regular season and SC has enough speed to go toe to toe with the Tribe.

Science Hill-21

Morristown West-7

Mo. West ain't what they used to be.

Sullivan South-35

Gate City-14

The Devils will own the entire front page of the Times News sports section win or lose. If they luck up and win this one, by Saturday afternoon they be saying that DB is scared to play them.

Tennessee High-45

Virginia High-0

The Vikings are playing a weak schedule to get them ready for the playoffs.:)

David Crockett-28

Cocke County-7

David Crockett's uniforms are brown & white. Cocke County's uniforms are red & black

Cherokee-21

Volunteer-7

They should of built one high school in Hawkins Co. Then they could of had a 6A team that everybody would of beat the crap out of.

Dobyns Bennett-28

Sevier County-21

Brewer is easly the best coach DB will face during regular season and SC has enough speed to go toe to toe with the Tribe.

Tennessee High-45

Virginia High-0

The Vikings are playing a weak schedule to get them ready for the playoffs.:)

Say what you want but at least our "WEAK" schedule gets us past the first round. :roflol:

You always have a weak first round. Didn't Volunteer beat the Vikings in the playoffs not to long ago. Heck I think they even lost to a team in their own conference last year.

Past is past. I'd think you wouldn't even need to argue. Especially not this year. Really who even has a chance to compete against the might DB this year? Not being sarcastic either. You guys are loaded. So you had one off year last year. I would consider it an honor for everyone including me to be jealous of the success DB has had. It's always the same arguments. DB haters-you get bounced first round. DB-we beat everyone around here by 50 points. Both sides need to stay current. What have you done for me lately. DB 1st-6A, TH 1st-5A in the area. I don't see anyone beating DB this year in this area. Don't know anything outside of area and really don't care at this point in time, cuz you have to get to the playoffs before you can worry about the playoffs. Besides when is the last time someone from the Big 8 won state? and who was it?

Dobyns Bennett by 3tds

Tennessee High by 3tds

Sullivan South by 2tds

Science Hill by 1td

Crockett by 1td

Volunteer by 1td

Big 8 6-0.

Past is past. I'd think you wouldn't even need to argue. Especially not this year. Really who even has a chance to compete against the might DB this year? Not being sarcastic either. You guys are loaded. So you had one off year last year. I would consider it an honor for everyone including me to be jealous of the success DB has had. It's always the same arguments. DB haters-you get bounced first round. DB-we beat everyone around here by 50 points. Both sides need to stay current. What have you done for me lately. DB 1st-6A, TH 1st-5A in the area. I don't see anyone beating DB this year in this area. Don't know anything outside of area and really don't care at this point in time, cuz you have to get to the playoffs before you can worry about the playoffs. Besides when is the last time someone from the Big 8 won state? and who was it?

Dobyns Bennett by 3tds

Tennessee High by 3tds

Sullivan South by 2tds

Science Hill by 1td

Crockett by 1td

Volunteer by 1td

Big 8 6-0.

I wonder how many people people on here know who the former winners of the state tournament that played in the big 5-10 are ?