Alcoa Zoning Restrictions

matt_8777

It will not matter how many people live in Camden.............the Lions will not get past Milan or Goodpasture come playoff time!............. :bored:

BC....I'm not too sure about this. They (Camden) may just be there, but it'll still be no competition for you guys. They barely squeaked by McKenzie in the first game of the year. I've heard from a buddy out west that Milan is down this year compared to the last few. Goodpasture played on TV here in Mid Tn last night and lost against David Lipscomb. I realize it's a rivalry game, but DL has lost games already they shouldn't have, or normally wouldn't have let's say. I'm not sure if GP is quite as good as their fans are trying to make them out to be. I wasn't very impressed. The best two teams in the state (in this class) play in the same district.

Btw, this thread has been an excellent read, with valid points being made on both sides. :thumb:

It seems to me that TSSAA has really made the whole thing one big mess. I have lived here for 18 years but I was not born here, therefore, I am not trying to say that anything needs changing. It just seems to me that ALL would benifit if privates were split into 3 classifications; "A", "AA", and "AAA", and they play in their own division with no option of playing in the same regions as publics. Take publics and split into however many classifications are needed according to school size from "A" to 6A. Every kid goes to the school that he is zoned to go to. If you don't like the school that your kid is zoned to go to, then move. Alcoa and Maryville are still going to win, no doubt about that, but a lot of the wins are going start being a lot more competitive for them instead of one or two close games a year and every other game being a blowout. If you coach or have a kid playing, no one has to tell you that competition is what makes your kids better. I know this is a very simplistic system, but I am originally from Mississippi and this is the system in place there and I am pretty sure that the same type system is in place in Alabama and Georgia as I have cousins that are coaches and sports trainers at high schools in those states. Look at high school football in these states. These views are strictly an opinion and not one based on the success or non-success of any particular team. In the end, it is what it is, and TSSAA is more than likely not going to change it.

For the last several years I have heard numerous people whine and gripe about Alcoa and Maryville and the success that they have had. Those kids have reaped what they have sown, nobody gave them anything. Sure, it helps to have athletes but there has been a ton of work that has went into what these schools have accomplished. A lot of these players have literally sacrificed a lot, if not all of their summers to be at the gym working out at 6 a.m. and running when some of their buddies are at the pool or the lake. This probably sounds like I am a fan of one of these schools and the fact is that my kids will not attend either of these schools, but you have to give credit where credit is due. These schools would have won regardless or what system TSSAA has in place because their players bought in and were willing to sacrifice and do what was necessary to accomplish their goals.

What he said! :thumb:

We moved our children from Maryville to Alcoa several years ago(we sold our house in Maryville and physically moved to Alcoa). My son does play football so the idea of moving to a strong "football school" wasn't the issue. There are other things that attract students to Alcoa:

*When the size of Heritage, William Blount and Maryville each exceeds over 1000 students, Alcoa draws families that appreciate a more personal environment for their child's education.

*The academic expectations and scores are at the top of the scale, right alongside Maryville.

*The ethnic diversity within the student body is greater than the other 3 county schools.

I don't dispute that there are tuition children on the team, but let's not discredit the other valuable reasons to be an Alcoa Tornado.

Edited by falconvol

We moved our children from Maryville to Alcoa several years ago(we sold our house in Maryville and physically moved to Alcoa). My son does play football so the idea of moving to a strong "football school" wasn't the issue. There are other things that attract students to Alcoa:

*When the size of Heritage, William Blount and Maryville each exceeds over 1000 students, Alcoa draws families that appreciate a more personal environment for their child's education.

*The academic expectations and scores are at the top of the scale, right alongside Maryville.

*The ethnic diversity within the student body is greater than the other 3 county schools.

I don't dispute that there are tuition children on the team, but let's not discredit the other valuable reasons to be an Alcoa Tornado.

You speak the truth falconvol, it is not only athletics but the school that makes the biggest differnce :thumb::thumb:

You speak the truth falconvol, it is not only athletics but the school that makes the biggest differnce :thumb::thumb:

The points made by FalconVol are spot on! Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, (did I say awesome) school!

My sons have prospered at Alcoa: academics, athletics, administration that cares, discipline, and a very diverse environment that prepares my sons for the real world. What more can you ask for?

DSM, I'll give you an honest answer in my posts even though a lot of these posts are opinion and we may disagree. I apologize, I did forget to answer your questions. Yes, I do believe there would likely be a larger talent pool to select from in Memphis or Nashville, but to know for sure you would have to determine population vs. school options, and frankly I'm not sure where that would work out. Blount county would have a smaller population, but there are only 2 football schools, one of which (according to Coach T info at least) has had to cut back on # of OOZ students they accept.

I also agree that generally speaking, DI privates would have an advantage over publics (in general) in academics and facilities. That is on one side of the comparison ledger. On the other, I submit is: 1. no tax money for privates 2. no school district to draw from 3. Much higher tuition. (I will also point out that your private examples of academics and facilities were all DII not DI so they don't apply to this discussion.)And there is no debate that BOTH accept tuition students.

You are correct, Alcoa doesn't whine or complain, they just play. But why would they complain? Let's be honest, you have a great school and a great program with or without the OOZ issue. You also have the best of both worlds. If you wanted to complain, what would you complain about? I haven't written a letter to the TSSAA about this subject. I have stated my opinion on this message board just like you and others. If they happen to read the boards, they can read my opinion, along with yours and others. Isn't stating opinions what these boards are for? Remember, no one is required to read a topic if they don't want to.

Yes, I was fully aware of the TSSAA policies when I started sending my kids to CAK. But surprise, I don't have or never will have a kid on the football team.

By the way, I admire that your position against OOZ having a multiplier is because it wouldn't be fair to the rural schoolscdwink.gif. I still don't quite get why you think it's equitable for DI privates to have a multiplier but not a tuition accepting open zone school. I could understand if you said OOZ schools should have a lower multiplier than a private, but you don't think any multiplier is in order. And for the record, you won't hear me whining or complaining about CAK having a multiplier. Just pointing out that the TSSAA is ignoring a somewhat similar advantage, but you won't recognize that because it doesn't suit your agenda. It's almost humorous that you can clearly see the advantage of a private school (which I agree with you on) but can't see at all that open zoning is an advantage as well. I can tell you that if CAK could only accept students from the Cedar Bluff area, they would not be as good, therefore a multiplier. But I guess your position is that if Alcoa could only accept Alcoa students it would make absolutely no difference and everyone should just shut up and like it. Am I close?

I've enjoyed the discussion. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

My personal opinion is the difference in DI privates and open zoned tuition schools is DI privates can and do offer financial aid where as open zoned tuition students have to pay out of pocket. That is why there is a multiplier.

My personal opinion is the difference in DI privates and open zoned tuition schools is DI privates can and do offer financial aid where as open zoned tuition students have to pay out of pocket. That is why there is a multiplier.

3353209.gif

Sorry, but the multiplier is because we provide a free leased vehicle, meal allowance and a very nice shoe contract, along with a not so shabby education. :D

Matback, I have "checked out" of the debate having said my piece, but I noticed a factual (not opinion) error in your post. DII privates can and do offer scholarships which is why they are forced to play in DII while DI privates cannot have any varsity player in any sport who receives financial aid. This applies to everything from football to cheerleading; any varsity sport. Any DI private giving aid to an athlete will find themselves in the same situation as Grace Christian Academy in Knoxville. Just wanted to clear up the confusion.