Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Week 5, the week end of September 24, 2010. A lot of teams have already played half of their schedule and yet, the intrigue is just beginning for some. Who knew Melrose vs Mitchell would be "The Shoot-Out at the O.K. Corral?" Who knew the week before that Whitehaven vs Ridgeway would be "3-yards and a cloud of dust?" Well, anyway ... here are what I consider to be the 'Big Games in Memphis'.

Ridgeway (4-0) @ Melrose (2-2)

CBHS (4-1) @ Millington (4-1)

East (3-2) @ MUS (3-2)

Westwood (2-3) @ Arlington (4-1)

Cordova (1-3) @ Collierville (2-2)

My picks are as follows:

Ridgeway beats Melrose ... 17 - 14

CBHS bounces back and beats Millington 24 - 14

MUS outplays East and wins ... 38 - 28

Arlington underestimates Westwood and barely wins ... 42 - 35

Cordova wins this District 15 showdown ... 21 - 14

That's it for me. Your turn!

Thanks for getting us started early, KWC. Here are my picks-

Ridgeway (4-0) @ Melrose (2-2)- Ridgeway by 10. But, if Rigdeways's coaching staff has the wrong defensive scheme and doesn't make the right adjustments, or, if this turns into a high-scoring shootout, Melrose could win this game. Did I mention how good that kid, Gross, the Melrose quarterback is?

CBHS (4-1) @ Millington (4-1)- Millington by 10, over CBHS.

East (3-2) @ MUS (3-2)- MUS will load the box on East and win by 13 or more.

Westwood (2-3) @ Arlington (4-1)- Arlington big - 14 or more, over Westwood.

Cordova (1-3) @ Collierville (2-2)- Collierville, under 10, over Cordova.

Week 5, the week end of September 24, 2010. A lot of teams have already played half of their schedule and yet, the intrigue is just beginning for some. Who knew Melrose vs Mitchell would be "The Shoot-Out at the O.K. Corral?" Who knew the week before that Whitehaven vs Ridgeway would be "3-yards and a cloud of dust?" Well, anyway ... here are what I consider to be the 'Big Games in Memphis'.

East (3-2) @ MUS (3-2)

BYE WEEK @ DA HAVEN...

Ridgeway vs. Melrose... Can U say potential class 5A State Playoff match up!!! This game will come down to Ridgeway's Pass Defense vs. Melrose's Passing Attack... Also Lineman play will be a big factor in this game... It will be quite interesting to see who will win the battle in the trenches between Melrose's O-Line vs. Ridgeway's D-Line, The winner in the battle of the big uglies will win this one... I just may take a trip to Orange Mound to watch this game!!! :popcorneater:

This game will be a great contrasting styles battle... Whoever can impose their will on the other will come out victorious... CBHS with there balanced attack vs. Millington and their potent run offense should be quite compelling.

MUS vs. East will come down to conditioning and depth... MUS doesn't have the same depth they have had recently but they still have plenty of talent... East plays a number of guys both ways, we'll see how they hold up over 48 minutes of Football... This is going to be a great Memphis Area Public vs. Private match up.

Westwood has the athleticism to play with Arlington, however their discipline has to be in order to compete throughout this game vs. this 6A playoff contender.

'Dova and Collierville will be an excellent Shelby Co. 6A match up to determine who is a 6A State Playoff contender and/or pretender!!!

RESPECT DA HAVEN

East (3-2) @ MUS (3-2)

My picks are as follows:

Ridgeway seems to be legit. I will take them 28-14

Brothers bounce back 28-14

MUS wins 31-14

Arlington wins

Cville wins

Once again, any CBHS fans know the status of all the injured players?

East (3-2) @ MUS (3-2)

My picks are as follows:

Ridgeway 28 -- Melrose 14 .... While Melrose has improved markedly since early season, Ridgeway will still dominate them in the trenches (just as they did during the Jamboree) and roll to a convincing victory.

CBHS 24 -- Mil 13... Millington will play well @ home, but lose to its 1st quality opponent since MUS.

MUS 27 -- East 12 .... East has the speed but not the necessary discipline with which to out-play MUS.

ARL 42 -- WW 22 .... Westwood is simply stepping up too far in class.

Col 31 -- Cor 20 .... My Alma Mater will (hopefully) bounce back in fine fashion

Ridgeway 28 -- Melrose 14 .... While Melrose has improved markedly since early season, Ridgeway will still dominate them in the trenches (just as they did during the Jamboree) and roll to a convincing victory.

CBHS 24 -- Mil 13... Millington will play well @ home, but lose to its 1st quality opponent since MUS.

MUS 27 -- East 12 .... East has the speed but not the necessary discipline with which to out-play MUS.

ARL 42 -- WW 22 .... Westwood is simply stepping up too far in class.

Col 31 -- Cor 20 .... My Alma Mater will (hopefully) bounce back in fine fashion

TraderB:

Although I predicted Ridgeway winning against Collierville 21 - 10. I did not expect it to be a 35 - 0 thrashing. The Collierville team needs to get that bad taste out of their collective mouths.

TraderB:

Although I predicted Ridgeway winning against Collierville 21 - 10. I did not expect it to be a 35 - 0 thrashing. The Collierville team needs to get that bad taste out of their collective mouths.

Yeah, Ridgeway gave my Dragons a serious reality check last week: they've got a very LONG way to go before they're ready for Prime Time. Collierville should find the sledding a whole lot easier vs Cordova, however. Motivation should definitely not be a problem, after last week's brutal beat-down!

As for Ridgeway...I knew that they had a very solid team and would cruise to victory over Collierville, but never in a million years did I expect the Roadrunners to shut them out! Ridgeway demonstrated a Championship-caliber defense, one that could very well propel them to an awfully, awfully special season. They will face a much stiffer test this week @ Orange Mound versus a resurgent, pass-happy Melrose team -- one that's undoubtedly oozing with new-found confidence after last week's exhilarating victory over Mitchell.

---------------------------------------

As for your Whitehaven Tigers.... Kwc, your talent-rich Tigers really appear (once again) to have all the necessary ingredients with which to make a deep playoff run.....provided they learn to play consistently with better focus! Their loss to Ridgeway should serve as a serious wake-up call of the detrimental effects of undisciplined play, particularly versus playoff-quality opponents... While Central should pose less of an overall threat, Whitehaven should not get complacent and sloppy.

Yeah, Ridgeway gave my Dragons a serious reality check last week: they've got a very LONG way to go before they're ready for Prime Time. Collierville should find the sledding a whole lot easier vs Cordova, however. Motivation should definitely not be a problem, after last week's brutal beat-down!

As for Ridgeway...I knew that they had a very solid team and would cruise to victory over Collierville, but never in a million years did I expect the Roadrunners to shut them out! Ridgeway demonstrated a Championship-caliber defense, one that could very well propel them to an awfully, awfully special season. They will face a much stiffer test this week @ Orange Mound versus a resurgent, pass-happy Melrose team -- one that's undoubtedly oozing with new-found confidence after last week's exhilarating victory over Mitchell.

---------------------------------------

As for your Whitehaven Tigers.... Kwc, your talent-rich Tigers really appear (once again) to have all the necessary ingredients with which to make a deep playoff run.....provided they learn to play consistently with better focus! Their loss to Ridgeway should serve as a serious wake-up call of the detrimental effects of undisciplined play, particularly versus playoff-quality opponents... While Central should pose less of an overall threat, Whitehaven should not get complacent and sloppy.

Someone needs to send the "book" over to WHS. ..i.e. the book of football! How in the world does such a talented team fail year in and year out to make a legitimate run at a title?...tell you how..Mass cahos on extra point team. First...miss one and trail 7-6. Second..Have nine on the field, oops 5 yd penalty for delay, send 3 or 4 on, have 4 or 5 run off, line up with 10, oops another 5 yd penalty for delay of game, finally get 11 on the field and miss a 30 yd xpt. Have a lead with 5 minutes to play, keep throwing the football and stopping the clock on incomplete passes, run out of bounds to stop the clock, turn the ball over and be put in a position in which a sure win becomes a possible loss. Big interception return saves the proverbial day. Unbelievable!! Question answered...Ain't gonna happen for the tigers!

• Upvote 1

East (3-2) @ MUS (3-2)

My picks are as follows:

Well..Let's see if we can hit 100% again this week.

Winners. Melrose, CBHS, MUS, Arlington, Collerville. (Hate picking against my Trojans, and believe the Wildcats make believers out of the doubters). Out on a limb here but...Put em down!!

Someone needs to send the "book" over to WHS. ..i.e. the book of football! How in the world does such a talented team fail year in and year out to make a legitimate run at a title?...tell you how..Mass cahos on extra point team. First...miss one and trail 7-6. Second..Have nine on the field, oops 5 yd penalty for delay, send 3 or 4 on, have 4 or 5 run off, line up with 10, oops another 5 yd penalty for delay of game, finally get 11 on the field and miss a 30 yd xpt. Have a lead with 5 minutes to play, keep throwing the football and stopping the clock on incomplete passes, run out of bounds to stop the clock, turn the ball over and be put in a position in which a sure win becomes a possible loss. Big interception return saves the proverbial day. Unbelievable!! Question answered...Ain't gonna happen for the tigers!

We just have to get better. They are doing some things to reevaluate themselves as a team and as a coaching staff to not beat ourselves and become more efficient to make that serious run this year. Thx for this post. I'm going to print it off and give everyone a copy for motivation throughout the rest of this season.

Someone needs to send the "book" over to WHS. ..i.e. the book of football! How in the world does such a talented team fail year in and year out to make a legitimate run at a title?...tell you how.. Have a lead with 5 minutes to play, keep throwing the football and stopping the clock on incomplete passes, run out of bounds to stop the clock, turn the ball over and be put in a position in which a sure win becomes a possible loss. Big interception return saves the proverbial day. Unbelievable!! Question answered...Ain't gonna happen for the tigers!

On the long pass plays we were calling at the end of the game, we were tryin to go for the jugular... We wanted one more score. Could we have ran some other plays, maybe, but we were not about to sit on the ball... Running out of bounds was plain crazy on that player's part. We will go over situations with the boys so THEY know what to do with a lead and 5 min left in a ball game... We will be successful whether you or anyone else thinks we won't be because we have some special talent over at Da Haven this year... Come December when the smoke clears I'll remember your post! :thumb:

RESPECT DA HAVEN