occhs football

ocucsf

redbirdfan, you're showing your age. Where you gonna get a 50 cent cup of coffee!! lol

It is a numbers game, and the majority of folks around here want their kids in a small school where they are more than just a number. I went to school at Dixie, at OCCHS, and in Texas where we had over 4000 students. Our senior class picture had to be taken with a panoramic camera to get the whole class in it. I wouldn't recommend that for any kid. I want Rebel football to be top notch and I want kids to get every opportunity to succeed. But I'm not sure combining the football teams would fulfill either goal. And I don't think the county as a whole will buy into the concept. Again, a middle school would have eliminated the debate, but that didn't happen. Thankfully my youngest is a senior so I have no vested stake. But I would support what's best for the kids and the program at large.

Again- as stated earlier- I'm not pro or con either way when it comes to combining anything with the Jr.High schools. I'm just stating the consolidation situation that dates back to 30 years ago that got us into this situation with the exisiting schools we have at the moment as it relates to number of students.

The issue was raised last winter about combining the middle schools football programs into an all 7th grade team with the four feeder schools and also an all 8th grade team with the four feeder schools. The people of the county spoke and the idea quickly went away. Whether that helps or hurts the Rebel football program in the long run is a matter of opinion. :rolleyes:

Obion County should have done what Graves County, Ky did...They have a whole gaggle of elementary schools and is a much larger county, area wise...They built one junior high for the whole county...In that huge county they have two high schools, Mayfield and Graves County (Maybe a private school in amongst them, not totally sure)...Mayfield HS is about the size of Union City HS...Graves is bigger than OC with around 1600 students...

Mayfield is the dominant football program though...Graves meanwhile plays in KY's largest classification,6A, arguably one the weakest as well, save Trinity,Male and St. X(Those 3 schools have won the last 12 state titles in the largest classification)...They have a combined junior high and it hasn't been a cure-all for them come to think about it....

The fact is a combined middle school football team won't happen...It just won't...So somehow, someway the four feeder coaches are going to have get on board with Coach Jackson and his staff and work toward a common goal of having a successful high school team...There is no reason why OC can't be good consistently in football because let's face it, 4a is not a powerhouse football classification...

I have been reading all the comments on this post, and can see both sides. But one thing I will say and some people are not going to agree with this. How I see it, is this year's rebel team has 19 seniors which is alot. You won't see that very often. I am postitive there were more than 19 people in the eighth grade from four different schools when they were in junior high. So my point is that everyone is debating on the loss of players. The players that quit are probaly not that interested in football, getting better, liked getting hit or had the work ethic to play football anyway. Football isn't for all kids. I know when I was in junior high we practiced for maybe an hour, hour and a half during the last period of school. That is just not long enough to put in that much. And we wonder why kids come in with poor technique and agility. It takes twenty minutes to get dressed and warmed up. That doesn't leave that much time for tackle drills, speed training, defense, offense, and special teams, and etc. With a combined feeder school team, there will be more coaches to work with the boys, and more than likely a longer practice time. That is what the kids need. Practice makes perfect and if you can't practice no more than an hour then that does not give enough time to perfect much. I think with all the kids from all four school on the same page working together it will benefit them in the long run. I know it took guys from my junior high to warm up and befriend guys from other junior highs. With this arrangement they will have two years to warm up to each other and become a team. This is definatley the best bet for the program, but for the parents that are thinking about the right now situation with their son being stars at a junior high team that can only win games against obion county schools who they will play with in a year, aren't thinking about their future football career. If you won't your son to gain their full football potential, getting a two year head start with their team, and in a good program that contains weight training, and plenty of time for agility training and team practice, this is how he can reach it. But until that happens we better hope that Obion County produces some born stud athletes, which has not happened very often, or they will continue being two years behing everyone else and continue suffering mediocrity and below. Obion County needs a change, and this one will actually benefit the team and community. Nine winning seaasons in 40 something years can tell you that.

The fact is a combined middle school football team won't happen...It just won't...So somehow, someway the four feeder coaches are going to have get on board with Coach Jackson and his staff and work toward a common goal of having a successful high school team...There is no reason why OC can't be good consistently in football because let's face it, 4a is not a powerhouse football classification...

4a is definately not an easy classification. There are some teams down this year, don't get me wrong. But it sure is not a cake walk by any means. Those teams usually have dang good athletes. I definately don't think the 1a schedule is very tough myself. Main reason is because other teams are bigger faster and stronger than OC. With a weight program and training implemented you will see a much better Rebel Team. Consolidating schools, and with the help of the Rebel coaches that problem will be solved. One thing from playing at Central and then coaching, and watching other high school practices, there is not a team anywhere that has more heart and want to win that OCCHS. I know when I was there, we had some hard, long practices that kids from most schools would of quit in a heart beat. I know everyone from Obion County wants to have a winning program but until the higher ups do anything about it is gonna be hard to make that a reality. If they don't consolidate schools, which they probaly never will, there at least needs to be weight training, speed training, and agility training implemented into the junior high programs. This will make a huge difference for the program.

4a is definately not an easy classification. There are some teams down this year, don't get me wrong. But it sure is not a cake walk by any means. Those teams usually have dang good athletes. I definately don't think the 1a schedule is very tough myself. Main reason is because other teams are bigger faster and stronger than OC. With a weight program and training implemented you will see a much better Rebel Team. Consolidating schools, and with the help of the Rebel coaches that problem will be solved. One thing from playing at Central and then coaching, and watching other high school practices, there is not a team anywhere that has more heart and want to win that OCCHS. I know when I was there, we had some hard, long practices that kids from most schools would of quit in a heart beat. I know everyone from Obion County wants to have a winning program but until the higher ups do anything about it is gonna be hard to make that a reality. If they don't consolidate schools, which they probaly never will, there at least needs to be weight training, speed training, and agility training implemented into the junior high programs. This will make a huge difference for the program.

I didn't say it was "easy"...I said it wasn't a powerhouse classification.....A good, sound fundamental team could go real far in this classification...OC it seems has always been behind the 8-ball athlete-wise but I will tell you this, if a kid has the tools he needs and the fundamental coaching he needs then you can beat teams that are more athletically gifted than you are....You look at OC right now...They are as athletic right now as they have been in years, in my opinion..Their problem is they can't stop anybody...Now, if they were in position and were missing tackles or just whiffing on the ball carriers that would be one thing but our guys aren't even near the ball...An opposing offense is at the second and third level dang near as soon as they hand off...We still haven't figured out who has the ball on the cross-buck plays and don't even get me started on sweeps..There has been nobody we have played so far that would have moved the ball on us had we been in position to make plays and I'm including Sikeston who has had the best athletes we have seen all year...I'm not laying everything 100% on the defense but when you go out on a Friday night and you figure you have to score 35-40 points to win a game??..It aint gonna happen..

But off that rant...I would say the toughest two teams in 13AA aren't 4A schools...We are going to more than have our hands full with Westview and then Milan is Milan...We got our work cut out for us the next 4 weeks and it's a shame we are in this position with the team we have...We should be 5-1...4-2 at the worst..

Just look at Gibson County. I do not know how large of a school they are but same thing. Great girls basketball, boys basketball not that good and their football program wins one game out of every 20. Not saying the rebels win 1 game out of 20...but in the last few year may average 2 to 3 wins per yr...average. So the Rebels aren't the only ones with this problem.

I really do not still understand. When it come to football, day in and day out, the Rebels can't compete on the 4a level much less the 3 a level. They really would have some trouble winning on a 2a level to a point. And I just don't understand....just like you.

Beating teams year in and year out like Fulton Co and Union City will not get the job doen. Got crushed by Cape and Sikeston really a good team.

Gibson Co and Obion County...for the size schools they are should be a winning proram year in and year out in Football. I will say this and complete my posting on this matter..... Leave coach Jackson alone, let his coaching staff stay together for 2 or 3 years, parents stay out of the way of the coaches and let them do their thing. Make sure you keep him and maybe...just maybe, the chemistry will build enough that things will continue to get better. Union City took their licks. The last couple of years with Barnes and Fishels 3 out of 5 yrs weren't great either. Coach Bowling comes in and the program is back and will really be back.

There is always hope. Never give up and as long as there are parents and supporters that do care like some on this board, things have one direction they are heading...UP ! Good Luck.

Edited by UCGRAD

Oh and rebelpride04 you are right about the attrition that affects every football program....19 is a good number...Both the junior class and the soph class have over 20 in them..Those will be good size classes as well..

I really felt this was a big year for this program coming in....I felt if the Rebels could improve on their win total from last season, go 7-3 in the regular season and then win at least one game in the playoffs you would see even more interest by the young kids coming in...Everyone wants to be on a winner...They can still end up 6-4, like last season but they really need to get a playoff win to show improvement...

You have to keep improving or the community might not be so generous when fund raisers roll around...