Bad officiating

sgt221

They are only human folks. Even the college and pros have blown MAJOR calls this year already.

If you think you can do a better job, the TSSAA are short handed and will be glad to take you application.

They have everyday jobs just like you and I. It would be different if they were getting paid hundreds of $$$ but they're not.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing about complaining about the refs - if they were better, they would be working at the next level. It's almost always their judgement that causes missed or bad calls (as opposed to rule interpretation), and even NFL refs don't always get it right. In addition, you're talking about regular Joes who are looking to pick up a couple of extra bucks on Friday nights. They could have had a bad day at work, their teenage daughter screamed at them for not letting them go riding around with Fast Eddie, their dog died, etc.

Although I despise the TSSAA, you can't necessarily blame them about rules. The NFHS is actually the entity that governs rules (and decides what points of emphasis need to be revised each year).

I agree about the sideline rules being a problem. Only 3 coaches in the sideline box is a joke, and having to be behind the media line during live play is ridiculous. Refs calling that rather than holding or false starts are making a mockery of the game. The action is in front of you not behind you.

Ascendotuum,

You are so incorrect about "if they were better, they would be working at the next level". There are plenty of high school refs that can call at next level and there are so many at the next level that don't need to be there. The reason a lot of high school officials don't call at the next level is time constraints! It takes up a ton of time to be a college or pro official. As far as regular Joe's wanting to pick up a few extra bucks is correct in some cases but in so many more cases high school official call because they love the game. If you break down the time away on Friday nights and the travel, etc. a high school official does not make much money. For the people who complain about officiating, please try it just once. I guarantee you will not complain again!

Here's the thing about complaining about the refs - if they were better, they would be working at the next level. It's almost always their judgement that causes missed or bad calls (as opposed to rule interpretation), and even NFL refs don't always get it right. In addition, you're talking about regular Joes who are looking to pick up a couple of extra bucks on Friday nights. They could have had a bad day at work, their teenage daughter screamed at them for not letting them go riding around with Fast Eddie, their dog died, etc.

Although I despise the TSSAA, you can't necessarily blame them about rules. The NFHS is actually the entity that governs rules (and decides what points of emphasis need to be revised each year).

I agree about the sideline rules being a problem. Only 3 coaches in the sideline box is a joke, and having to be behind the media line during live play is ridiculous. Refs calling that rather than holding or false starts are making a mockery of the game. The action is in front of you not behind you.

I know some of the Tullahoma association officials call OVC games.The Southeast Tenn. crews step up to pee-wee games.

I know they are going to miss a call here - understood. But.....in my eyes they are out there to protect the players and when an illegal chop happens and a player's leg is broken in 3 different places and they have to have 3 surgeries to repair it, then that is wrong! You may say they just missed it - well it happened to this player 2 times prior to his leg being broken. Then the player who replaced him, the same 2 players chopped him and he ended up in the ER right next to the other player. Any consequences for the players....no Any consequences for the ref's......no. They did not do the job they were paid to do...no matter how little or how much they got paid. They knew before they took the job how much their pay was going to be. That should not make a difference at all!

They are only human folks. Even the college and pros have blown MAJOR calls this year already.

If you think you can do a better job, the TSSAA are short handed and will be glad to take you application.

They have everyday jobs just like you and I. It would be different if they were getting paid hundreds of $$$ but they're not.

I know they are going to miss a call here - understood. But.....in my eyes they are out there to protect the players and when an illegal chop happens and a player's leg is broken in 3 different places and they have to have 3 surgeries to repair it, then that is wrong! You may say they just missed it - well it happened to this player 2 times prior to his leg being broken. Then the player who replaced him, the same 2 players chopped him and he ended up in the ER right next to the other player. Any consequences for the players....no Any consequences for the ref's......no. They did not do the job they were paid to do...no matter how little or how much they got paid. They knew before they took the job how much their pay was going to be. That should not make a difference at all!

That many chop blocks or Hi-Lo's or whatever you want to call them can not be attributed to just some random O-linemen playing dirty....there is a coach teaching them to do that..He needs to be fired and prosecuted. The problem I have with officiating in TN is two-fold...first there isn't a consistency across the board on rules interpretation. What's holding one week is not holding the next etc. etc. TSSAA has rules and mechanics meetings for them so I don't see why there isn't more consistency. Second and most aggravating is that coaches seem to have no recourse to address bad officiating. Try sending in video... try calling TSSAA..try whatever and it seems to get nowhere ...try talking to the offical's organization and you get labeled as a whining coach and things get worse. TSSAA backs up its officials to the nth degree...Do they ever reprimand , correct, or fire any? I don't know.

When we contacted TSSAA, we were told that was the risk of playing football. There were 5 chopblocks in this particular game by the same two players and yes.....it had to be taught...not something that just happened. You are right....something needs to happen to the coach. The medical cost were astronomical to this players family. I wonder if there are any consequences also. Thanks for your reply. It has been a year and you seem to be one of few on the same page with me!!! Thanks!

That many chop blocks or Hi-Lo's or whatever you want to call them can not be attributed to just some random O-linemen playing dirty....there is a coach teaching them to do that..He needs to be fired and prosecuted. The problem I have with officiating in TN is two-fold...first there isn't a consistency across the board on rules interpretation. What's holding one week is not holding the next etc. etc. TSSAA has rules and mechanics meetings for them so I don't see why there isn't more consistency. Second and most aggravating is that coaches seem to have no recourse to address bad officiating. Try sending in video... try calling TSSAA..try whatever and it seems to get nowhere ...try talking to the offical's organization and you get labeled as a whining coach and things get worse. TSSAA backs up its officials to the nth degree...Do they ever reprimand , correct, or fire any? I don't know.

I will have to admit that what games I have saw this year have been well officiated. A few missed calls here and there (last night at the Loudon vs Bradley game I saw a couple of missed chop blocks that Bradley didn't get called for and also I thought the Bradley runner wasn't down when he was called down). But for the most part I feel they have been a lot better this year.

I believe instant replay and slo-motion replays on TV have made all the arm chair QBs better officials. I also believe that very few could do better than the ones we currently have across the state. With the speed of the game and 5 officials trying to see every aspect of the field...there are going to be missed calls. It is and will always be part of the game. To say bad officiating cost you a game is really a sad statement about your team. I have never seen a good team lose a game because of officiating...sure bad calls have effected the game, but good teams overcome.

This past Friday the umpire calling the McCallie/MBA game collapsed on the field and was taken to the hospital in the first quarter. We have received reports that he later passed away. He was 48 years old. We would like to take a minute to remember him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

I would also like to commend this particular crew that remained for continuing to call this game to the best of their abilities with one short. They did a good job.

As to my own personal officiating connections, my better half is a 30 plus year official and his father was before him. My son while still playing at the college level plans to join when his playing days are done. The most impressive thing I have heard from many zebras is that most remember that the game they are calling that night is the MOST important game in the world to the 2 sets of players and they will do their best to call it right. Do they miss things? Yes... hubby agonizes over that after every game and replays it in his head to see if he would do it different. Most do. I've even heard of an official who has called a coach to apologize for a missed call.

Good or needing improvement, just remember they are human. At this level they don't benefit from instant replay, professional chain crews and extra stripes on the field at the next level. I believe most are doing their level best. Join up and give it a try, I know our area is always looking for good candidates! It will cost approx $200 for equipment, 10-20 hours a week for meeting/games, fees.

This past Friday the umpire calling the McCallie/MBA game collapsed on the field and was taken to the hospital in the first quarter. We have received reports that he later passed away. He was 48 years old. We would like to take a minute to remember him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

I would also like to commend this particular crew that remained for continuing to call this game to the best of their abilities with one short. They did a good job.

As to my own personal officiating connections, my better half is a 30 plus year official and his father was before him. My son while still playing at the college level plans to join when his playing days are done. The most impressive thing I have heard from many zebras is that most remember that the game they are calling that night is the MOST important game in the world to the 2 sets of players and they will do their best to call it right. Do they miss things? Yes... hubby agonizes over that after every game and replays it in his head to see if he would do it different. Most do. I've even heard of an official who has called a coach to apologize for a missed call.

Good or needing improvement, just remember they are human. At this level they don't benefit from instant replay, professional chain crews and extra stripes on the field at the next level. I believe most are doing their level best. Join up and give it a try, I know our area is always looking for good candidates! It will cost approx $200 for equipment, 10-20 hours a week for meeting/games, fees.

Great Post!! :thumb:

I believe instant replay and slo-motion replays on TV have made all the arm chair QBs better officials. I also believe that very few could do better than the ones we currently have across the state. With the speed of the game and 5 officials trying to see every aspect of the field...there are going to be missed calls. It is and will always be part of the game. To say bad officiating cost you a game is really a sad statement about your team. I have never seen a good team lose a game because of officiating...sure bad calls have effected the game, but good teams overcome.

See the Browns/Broncos AFC championship game?

I disagree, the only thing that really bothers me is throwing a flag when they see a play is going to score and I want comment any further. This topic comes up every year and gets closed quickly.

I agree with you its going to happen in most games however it does not have to so obvious as was case last friday in Dyer County game playing Bolivar..last two minutes of game refs controlled the game taking victory away from DC..SAD grown men with no conscience determining young mens fate ..good lesson for young Chocs learning life isnt fair ; someones going to take away what you've toiled earnestly to earn ..

Edited by DHSFB64