Smith County vs Upperman

glover

Smith County vs Upperman  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Smith County High School Owls
    • Upperman High School Bees

Why is Owls best running back on the sidelines??? You all know who I'm talking about.

"Best" running back is a little stretch. They are bringing him along at a freshman's pace. I like the way he runs too, but there are times when a back can't outrun everyone and can't run around everyone. There are times when a back has to lower his should and run OVER somebody. And if you do anything to shake his confidence right now, it could destroy the gains he's made.

He should get quite a few touches Friday nite.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Best" running back is a little stretch. They are bringing him along at a freshman's pace. I like the way he runs too, but there are times when a back can't outrun everyone and can't run around everyone. There are times when a back has to lower his should and run OVER somebody. And if you do anything to shake his confidence right now, it could destroy the gains he's made.

He should get quite a few touches Friday nite.

Hope so - he's not learning anything sitting on the bench.

Hope so - he's not learning anything sitting on the bench.

Remember Scoot. It's more than just running. Sometimes it's blocking and little stuff nobody pays much attention to.

I've watched Jimmy Maynord and his staff a long time. I often wondered why they didn't agree with what "I" thought, or what "I" saw. Well, sometimes, they see something I don't. 1 kid may be a step faster, a little stronger, a little faster picking up the plays. Something gives 1 the edge over another. It seems to me that if 2 kids are very close in ability, the older kid gets the nod over the younger.

And sometimes by standing and watching (sitting on the bench)you learn a lot. I did. I learned I didn't like standing and watching so I did what I needed to do to get on and stay on the field.

Remember Scoot. It's more than just running. Sometimes it's blocking and little stuff nobody pays much attention to.

I've watched Jimmy Maynord and his staff a long time. I often wondered why they didn't agree with what "I" thought, or what "I" saw. Well, sometimes, they see something I don't. 1 kid may be a step faster, a little stronger, a little faster picking up the plays. Something gives 1 the edge over another. It seems to me that if 2 kids are very close in ability, the older kid gets the nod over the younger.

And sometimes by standing and watching (sitting on the bench)you learn a lot. I did. I learned I didn't like standing and watching so I did what I needed to do to get on and stay on the field.

Needs more touches.

Does baxter run the wing-t? I hope not, if they do we are beat again.so much for a undefeated season.

There are teams that run the Wing T- (TC-MC-York) and there are teams that TRY to run the Wing -T.

I agree Termite, IMO, this should be a non-issue.

His time will come, likely next year.

He is and will be a great asset to the program. Like Termite said he is being brought along at a freshmans pace. Does he need more touches, I think so too, but I am not at practice everyday so my opinion don't matter much. One thing to remember is he had a hip injury, that might be a concern. He don't mind lowering his shoulder to deliver a hit, but when he is about to take a hit he tends to shy away, that's from when he got injured. I would say that is another thing the coaches are working on in practice to get his confidence back up. Most of the time if you try to avoid contact that's when you will get injured. Again not taking anything away from him, he is and will be a great player. Also there is #8 who is just a sophomore, he is still learning and progressing nicely. So really they have 2 young running backs they are trying to get touches and game experience, not something SC is used to having. One thing for sure the future is looking bright for SC Football.

Croz, on the Gville/RBS thread you are saying the same thing I am saying here (young player(s) need the playing time, touches) on this thread you are totally opposite ????

Gville's top 2 backup RB's are both Juniors, and they know the offense.

You and I both know that SC's offense is more complex than Gville's, and there's more things he needs to know besides what hole to hit.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get any meaningful snaps, but 10 or 15 snaps isn't unreasonable.

I doubt that he'll be a game changer as a freshman, but in due time, he will be.

I'm not questioning his coaching ability.His record speaks for itself.I question his thinking sometimes.I watched the freshman in a jv game.He is not afraid to lower his head and dish out punishment.Plus he is bigger,faster and a lot stronger than our senior tailback.No points in 3 quarters?? Are you playing to win or protect your players?? That is just my opinion.GO OWLS