Maryville vs Bearden

MHS82

What a reckless and unfortunate post. MHS has had several players contribute over the course of their entire college careers over the years. Some were standouts. Others labored in obscurity. The upheaval of the UT program the last few years speaks only for itself. All players were dealt a hand they could have never seen coming. Doesn't say anything about future players whatsoever. Brandon Warren didn't stick at UT or Florida State. That doesn't mean that T. Tyson couldn't go from Alcoa and be all-world at UT. Just because Colquitt got in all kinds of hot water and was suspended several games going from Bearden to UT doesn't say anything whatsoever about Devrin Young. Come on feartheveer. You cand do better than that effort. Even if you somehow meant it in jest.

SO I am just going to allow a Maryville fan tell me that Devrin Young can't block. I defend my players. Sorry, but I don't always get on my knees and bow down to the Mighty Rebel Football program. I have tremendous respect for Coach Quarles and his program, but also remember....For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Is that effort sufficient enough for you Father Reb

Edited by feartheveer

I still take our 2 guys. 2 & 45 are some of the best blockers on the team. Don't want to hate on the kid, but #33's next block will be his first - and he showed his lack of toughness last year & Thursday night.

That's not what I was told by a kid right in the middle of the play - pretty sure we've got a dad on here with the most inside of info

Lack of Toughness....the kid played almost every single snap on Offense and Defense....that to me says alot about toughness

SO I am just going to allow a Maryville fan tell me that Devrin Young can't block. I defend my players. Sorry, but I don't always get on my knees and bow down to the Mighty Rebel Football program. I have tremendous respect for Coach Quarles and his program, but also remember....For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Is that effort sufficient enough for you Father Reb

No Veer it isn't. Reread my post. Reread all the Maryville posts. I did. Didn't see any "exalting" that would merit your invoking the Bible. My point was that you called out an entire program as somehow sending deficient young men to play for UT. That dog don't hunt. Not only that, it just seems like a cheap shot.

I have no idea how Devrin will do at UT. I do know I wish him every success. Big time ball is hard and he can count me as a fan. As for you, I'll quote you a little scripture: "Judge not lest ye be judged."

Great job REBELS. GQ & CO did put on a clinic. BHS has a good team but as I said , you stop Young and you stop Bearden. The officiating was some of the worst I have ever seen. As far as Packer goes... he hates MARYVILLE as much as I hate his Thursday night amateur broadcast. I hope GQ declines any future overtures from this @ s s.

The whistle was not from the crowd , I have info that the official told Greg not to call for the snap until he blew the whistle.He then waited 15 seconds so Greg called for the snap and then he blew the whistle. ??????????????

APB , BC & SCOTS50 thanks for the reception last night , but next time you should each have something for me... ya know food and $$ stuff like that. :roflol:

You got it my friend! To all the Rebel fans, thanks for an awesome evening of great football and good friends! We have to stand together for Blount County to stay at the top. Lord knows the haters are lined up at the door! I will be back if APB and BC get out on probation again in the near future! Roll Red Rebels Roll!

No Veer it isn't. Reread my post. Reread all the Maryville posts. I did. Didn't see any "exalting" that would merit your invoking the Bible. My point was that you called out an entire program as somehow sending deficient young men to play for UT. That dog don't hunt. Not only that, it just seems like a cheap shot.

I have no idea how Devrin will do at UT. I do know I wish him every success. Big time ball is hard and he can count me as a fan. As for you, I'll quote you a little scripture: "Judge not lest ye be judged."

Hmmmm ... I wonder if he really wants to go the "Bible route" with you, Father Reb? :popcorneater:

So no one from Maryville is allowed to defend our players ? No one has asked you to " Bow down " to anyone , and you saying something like that makes your jealousy and envy very obvious . It would be so easy for me to stoop to your level and bring up the track record of one of yours if you want to go that route ..... one would think that anyone quoting the Bible would be above going that route though .

I still take our 2 guys. 2 & 45 are some of the best blockers on the team. Don't want to hate on the kid, but #33's next block will be his first - and he showed his lack of toughness last year & Thursday night.

That's not what I was told by a kid right in the middle of the play - pretty sure we've got a dad on here with the most inside of info

Old Rebel,

It was such a bizarre play, and after talking with the snapper and kicker, I'm still fuzzy. But here's what I was told:

One official told the holder to "call for it (the ball) on my whistle." The snapper waited and waited and waited. No whistle. So the snapper eventualy called for the ball without a whistle. Then an official (don't know if it was the same official mentioned above) told the kicker to "wait" And he did. A whistle did sound in the midst of this, but not from the field as best as I can piece together. An assistant principal from MHS said that Bearden students had been using a whistle among other things. He said he heard the whistle.

It seems that three things would have been better outcomes than simply handing the ball over to the other team.

First, if the offical said "call for it on my whistle" or "wait" Then the play never really started to begin with and you reset things. If you watch the replay, notice that even the Bearden players pretty much came to a standstill as well as Maryville.

Second, if Maryville somehow jumped the gun by not waiting for the whistle, then I gues your looking, at worst, at a procedure penalty. That would have meant a 47 rather than a 42 yard attempt. Since Sharp is perfect from beyond 40 this year, I like our chances.

Third, according to a high school coach of 35 years that was sitting next to me, the right call would have been a personal foul against the home team as they are responsible for the crowd. Clearly such an issue was in play as the public address announcer then specifically called out anyone with a whistle.

Any of these three options would have made more sense than what resulted from the protracted summit that ensued. I can assure you that Sharp will henceforth pursue a kick first and ask questions later approach going forward!

• Upvote 1

So no one from Maryville is allowed to defend our players ? No one has asked you to " Bow down " to anyone , and you saying something like that makes your jealousy and envy very obvious . It would be so easy for me to stoop to your level and bring up the track record of one of yours if you want to go that route ..... one would think that anyone quoting the Bible would be above going that route though .

your right, im wrong. You win, I lose.

Wow... Threads got rough since I last checked...

Good job Rebels and staff. With their youth they should continue to succeed..

As far as Young goes. I'm pleased he has an offer from a D1 school. He is a quick kid.. I'm not sure he will play RB at the next level but may have a niche as a kick returner or specialty player. When he gets the ball out in space anything can happen. I wish him luck..

tpoole12

SO I am just going to allow a Maryville fan tell me that Devrin Young can't block.

Lack of Toughness....the kid played almost every single snap on Offense and Defense....that to me says alot about toughness

Didn't play every snap and he cramped - I don't think he blocked anybody all night, but that's the coaches not asking him to