MBA BGA

big red big blue

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, and my first ever trip to the new BGA capmus (which obviously isn't even new anymore).

Can anyone share what the Beathard (sp?) family's ties to the Nashville area are? His grandfather Bobby, apparently recently relocated to Nashville, is the former Redskins/Chargers GM. Just wondering how they came to Nashville.

CJ is having a great season and will really challenge this MBA defense. Should be a good game. Looks like BGA played BA pretty tight for 3 quarters.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, and my first ever trip to the new BGA capmus (which obviously isn't even new anymore).

Can anyone share what the Beathard (sp?) family's ties to the Nashville area are? His grandfather Bobby, apparently recently relocated to Nashville, is the former Redskins/Chargers GM. Just wondering how they came to Nashville.

CJ is having a great season and will really challenge this MBA defense. Should be a good game. Looks like BGA played BA pretty tight for 3 quarters.

When it comes to MBA, I don't like good games. And I'm concerned that there may be lots not to like tomorrow.

And for what it's worth, I liked the old campus: white-washed squat buildings and barbed-wire facing inward gave it a prison-like appearance, and you have to love the fact that as of '74, there was a "Piggly-Wiggly" across the street. And the corner of the endzone that extended onto the pea-gravel track was pretty special too.

BGA will protect the QB with 7 to 8 blockers on every pass play. This leaves 2 to 3 receivers to run routes.

The BGA QB has pin point accuracy and will get the ball to those receivers. BA had 5 or 6 sacks and a couple of those sacks the BGA QB looked shakened. He fought back but only completed 13 of 28 passes. The 13 penalties against BA kept BGA in the game the 1st half.

MBA's passing defense is suspect and Beathard might have a good night.

Edited by shakinthefat

All I have to say is bring your popcorn. Blake Thomas will be key for our offense tonite. The offensive line will protect our quarterback and we will have a field day in the air. Dont be surprised by the running attack. Hope to see the Fleming kid get some carries tonite. And looking forward to the Smith boys do their thing all three of them. But our defense must step up and stop the run! Go Wildcats!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is bring your popcorn. Blake Thomas will be key for our offense tonite. The offensive line will protect our quarterback and we will have a field day in the air. Dont be surprised by the running attack. Hope to see the Fleming kid get some carries tonite. And looking forward to the Smith boys do their thing all three of them. But our defense must step up and stop the run! Go Wildcats!!!!!!!!!

Could it be Deja Vu for BGA like last week? Big 1st half but run out of juice in the 2nd half.

Looks like MBA just failed to convert a 4th and short at about midfield...35-28 Big Red with the lead. Immediately after, MBA gives up a big play like they've been prone to do against explosive teams since 2008. Hopefully the Bowers emulation stops. Just freaking punt. BGA ties the game as a result of that failed attempt.

Edited by VandyHoosiers

Looks like MBA just failed to convert a 4th and short at about midfield...35-28 Big Red with the lead. Immediately after, MBA gives up a big play like they've been prone to do against explosive teams since 2008. Hopefully the Bowers emulation stops. Just freaking punt. BGA ties the game as a result of that failed attempt.

It wasn't midfield, it was inside the MBA 30. Words fail me.

BGA ended up on the MBA 5, with 1:55 left, and had a pass intercepted in the end zone. MBA moved downfield and hit a 40 yd field goal with 9 seconds left to win it 38-35.

It wasn't midfield, it was inside the MBA 30. Words fail me.

BGA ended up on the MBA 5, with 1:55 left, and had a pass intercepted in the end zone. MBA moved downfield and hit a 40 yd field goal with 9 seconds left to win it 38-35.

The MBA defense is very streaky this year, because of their secondary. The first 5 games were played against running teams, and the most anyone scored was 14 points. MBA's front seven is very strong, with Lucachi who is a monster, and Caldwell. The freshman Robertson? also seems to get better week by week. The DE's are good against the run, but fairly poor against the pass. The defense is led by #34 Kay and #5 Reigle. Reigle is the best player on the team, no question. Kay looks like he is one of the shortest, and probly heaviest linebackers in the league, but boy is he the meanest. The secondary is what is killing MBA. #6 on the corner is very poor at open field tackling, and the other #1 Wright? is decent but seems to get burned alot. Reigle seems to be active on one side of the field but on some plays the free safety just seems to disappear. If MBA wants to make a run for the title this year, I think the secondary is really going to have to make some changes.

The MBA defense is very streaky this year, because of their secondary. The first 5 games were played against running teams, and the most anyone scored was 14 points. MBA's front seven is very strong, with Lucachi who is a monster, and Caldwell. The freshman Robertson? also seems to get better week by week. The DE's are good against the run, but fairly poor against the pass. The defense is led by #34 Kay and #5 Reigle. Reigle is the best player on the team, no question. Kay looks like he is one of the shortest, and probly heaviest linebackers in the league, but boy is he the meanest. The secondary is what is killing MBA. #6 on the corner is very poor at open field tackling, and the other #1 Wright? is decent but seems to get burned alot. Reigle seems to be active on one side of the field but on some plays the free safety just seems to disappear. If MBA wants to make a run for the title this year, I think the secondary is really going to have to make some changes.

Very good assessment, though I'll quibble with the term "streaky." Their run defense has been very solid (as compared to ealry last season, when tackling was very poor). If you watched all of the games, the problems with pass defense were apprent early on. Even P-C and Maplewood had open receivers; they just couldn't connect. Likewise, Ensworth exposed those weaknesses, but chose to stay with a successful running game. EHS lost on fumbles, not because MBA was consistently able to stop them (As Smyrna and BA have discovered, if EHS holds the ball, they're formidable: let's not call either of those games an upset.).

Certainly there was some poor tackling in the secondary. But it appears to me that MBA is offering a large cushion, especially on the wide side of the field. Perhaps the avergae high school QB lacks the arm to jump on that. Lusk and Beathard (sp?) had no problems, picking up 5-7 yards before contact.

Popcorn??? I'd suggest Xanax. This wasn't an affair for the faint of heart.

Very good assessment, though I'll quibble with the term "streaky." Their run defense has been very solid (as compared to ealry last season, when tackling was very poor). If you watched all of the games, the problems with pass defense were apprent early on. Even P-C and Maplewood had open receivers; they just couldn't connect. Likewise, Ensworth exposed those weaknesses, but chose to stay with a successful running game. EHS lost on fumbles, not because MBA was consistently able to stop them (As Smyrna and BA have discovered, if EHS holds the ball, they're formidable: let's not call either of those games an upset.).

Certainly there was some poor tackling in the secondary. But it appears to me that MBA is offering a large cushion, especially on the wide side of the field. Perhaps the avergae high school QB lacks the arm to jump on that. Lusk and Beathard (sp?) had no problems, picking up 5-7 yards before contact.

I hate to insert a BA and EHS post in here but this fan is still sick over the loss. Your comment "as Smyrna and BA have discovered, if EHS holds the ball, they're formidable: let's not call either of those games an upset" is true, I think EHS is an excellent team, but the stats in this morning's paper were tough to read. BA out rushed EHS 209 yards to 105, held them to 10 first downs vs 15 for BA, and BA had 1 penalty for 5 yards. That is normally a winning formula for a team. EHS did have 119 yards passing, but a total of 224 yards of offense is not an overpowering offensive display. BA handed this game to Ensworth with turnovers, and I predict will turn out to be a positive for this BA team, who is hungry. I bet they rally around their QB who had a very tough game, and come out of it stronger. Let's hope so, some very tough games ahead.