Ensworth Recruiting

No1Likes

No1 and eers--take it to the public-private debate board.

KWood-don't waste your time and effort.

I really couldn't care less, but to try and pretend it doesn't happen under a veil of "fiancial aid" is nonsense. How else to do explain the pure number of great athletes?

I'm not saying "illegally" or "against the rules", but all-in-all the entire private school "business" is recruiting. I'm sure it is "within the rules" or someone would have a name by now. I am not bashing the practice or the institution, but how else can a school survive.

Every time you see an advertisement in a publication it is a form of recruiting, albeit within the rules. I am not against it, as DII schools are set in a different division. It may not be a school official or the coaching staff, but let's not kid ourselves about kids being recruited. Parents, friends, etc. It's all recruiting, even if we want to call it something else.

Three years ago there was an advertisement in the Tennessean Williamson County that stated Brentwood High School now has open enrollment for ALL of Williamson County. There were 3 kids in my neighborhood (zoned for Franklin) that jumped at this latest recruiting ploy by Brentwood High School. All 3 played and started on the football team. "Parents, friends, etc. It's all recruiting, even if we want to call it something else."

I really couldn't care less, but to try and pretend it doesn't happen under a veil of "fiancial aid" is nonsense. How else to do explain the pure number of great athletes?

Everybody on this thread needs to understand the definition of "recruiting". KWoodruff - you are excused from this charge (you have my respect sir). The rules say that you cannot recruit - and all the schools to my knowledge abide by this. Ya'll are confusing recruiting with advertising. Understand the definitions of the words you use and the rules and it will become much more clear to you. Does one school compete with another to attract a player - sure they do. But if you understand the rules completely, this isn't recruiting (by definition). Lastly, financial aid has nothing to do with it. All those that apply to a private school are afforded the same opportunities through financial aid. If you understand the process, you know this is true. If you don't understand the process, quit posting.

Everybody on this thread needs to understand the definition of "recruiting". KWoodruff - you are excused from this charge (you have my respect sir). The rules say that you cannot recruit - and all the schools to my knowledge abide by this. Ya'll are confusing recruiting with advertising. Understand the definitions of the words you use and the rules and it will become much more clear to you. Does one school compete with another to attract a player - sure they do. But if you understand the rules completely, this isn't recruiting (by definition). Lastly, financial aid has nothing to do with it. All those that apply to a private school are afforded the same opportunities through financial aid. If you understand the process, you know this is true. If you don't understand the process, quit posting.

Right on!

Ok, now I think we're on the same page. Yes, I understand that financial aid is afforded to all that qualify, but I would bet the better teams have a higher percentage of "financial aid" on the field.

Its a business and as a business owner, I commend the successful ones!

Three years ago there was an advertisement in the Tennessean Williamson County that stated Brentwood High School now has open enrollment for ALL of Williamson County. There were 3 kids in my neighborhood (zoned for Franklin) that jumped at this latest recruiting ploy by Brentwood High School. All 3 played and started on the football team. "Parents, friends, etc. It's all recruiting, even if we want to call it something else."

Excellent point and as a Brentwood High School parent, I would like to invite all parents of current and future football prodigies to move into the BHS zone. Did I just break a rule there? I sincerely want to applaud the regulars on this board for their restraint when these issues come up - how many times do you have to answer this?

At the Ensworth v BA there were several players on the field that were zoned for BHS but chose to attend one of these schools. While I believe that BHS is a great school for both academics and athletics, I also believe that people should do what they believe is best for their child. I doubt many of the kids I referenced above were on a significant level of financial aid - if any. But why shouldn't a parent that feels that an independent school offers their child a better opportunity, be able to send them there under the rules in place? I don't understand that mentality.

I wonder if there is a remote chance that the kids you describe, who for the most part are achievers in much more than athletics, are attracted to the wide array of offerings at an independant school that is not available at public schools.

Edited by mtnrasslin

I wonder if there is a remote chance that the kids you describe, who for the most part are achievers in much more than athletics, are attracted to the wide array of offerings at an independant school that is not available at public schools.

Perhaps at some schools and with some kids, but not "for the most part". I just don't buy it.

There is no denying that Division II is pay for play school/football. Either you are paying to go there or someone else is paying for you to go there. That being said I would not be opposed to mykidsdad kid going there. However when that was a legitimate issue mykidsdad kid expressed zero interest.

I firmly believe that is money well spent, whom ever's money that is. :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad