Ensworth Recruiting

No1Likes

I have no problem w/ any of these schools recruiting, of course most if not all them do to some degree, or there would be no reason to seperate them from the public schools come play-off time. Regardless if they have to pay or not, the gathering of very talented athletes at 1 school gives them the advantage over schools that are not allowed to do so. I guess I just have to assume these schools are better than the public school system I attended. I disagree, I remember recieving a pamphlet to a private school when I was in the 8th grade; I tossed it in the trash b/c I had loyalty to my school and more importantly, my teammates.....

I have no problem w/ any of these schools recruiting, of course most if not all them do to some degree, or there would be no reason to seperate them from the public schools come play-off time. Regardless if they have to pay or not, the gathering of very talented athletes at 1 school gives them the advantage over schools that are not allowed to do so. I guess I just have to assume these schools are better than the public school system I attended. I disagree, I remember recieving a pamphlet to a private school when I was in the 8th grade; I tossed it in the trash b/c I had loyalty to my school and more importantly, my teammates.....

Based on spelling and sentence structure in your post, you should have kept the pamphlet.

Based on spelling and sentence structure in your post, you should have kept the pamphlet.

I guess you are the grammar police, my grammar is not near as bad as most people on here. However, this is a forum and it really doesnt matter. I have a college degree, but it wasnt in english/grammar; I admit that I am not very good at spelling or great at grammar. Most of my spelling mistakes are typos really. I do hope it makes you feel good about yourself to question someones intelligence on an internet forum.....

I guess you are the grammar police, my grammar is not near as bad as most people on here. However, this is a forum and it really doesnt matter. I have a college degree, but it wasnt in english/grammar; I admit that I am not very good at spelling or great at grammar. Most of my spelling mistakes are typos really. I do hope it makes you feel good about yourself to question someones intelligence on an internet forum.....

It was not meant to be an indictment of your intelligence. My reply was a poor attempt at humor. If proper English were a prerequisite, there would be little content on this board. I am sure there are grammatical and spelling errors in my posts so no right to call you out. I apologize.

It was not meant to be an indictment of your intelligence. My reply was a poor attempt at humor. If proper English were a prerequisite, there would be little content on this board. I am sure there are grammatical and spelling errors in my posts so no right to call you out. I apologize.

That was one of the nicest apologies I've seen on here! You have gained my respect.

Edited by tigersfan

Its all good, nobody likes to feel stupid, appreciate the apology..... :thumb:

Guest Termite

After last night, there is something to be said for loyalty and going to school with kids you grow up with.

I attnded my 1st Ensworth game last night. I was very, very dissapointed. Not with the school or football players, but with everything else associated with Ensworth football. I've been going to high school football games all across the state for over 40 years. I swear, if it wasn't for the Coaches, sounds of the players, and kids behind the stands, I could have heard the crickets. There was absolutly NO atmosphere. NONE. And how does a school with everything Ensworth has NOT have a band, and play "CANNED" music and cheers? I'm sure nobody cares what I think, but it made me proud that my kids went to a small public school where the whole community comes out, cheers, knows all the players names,and knows all the parents names and makes it an event evey game.

After last night, there is something to be said for loyalty and going to school with kids you grow up with.

I attnded my 1st Ensworth game last night. I was very, very dissapointed. Not with the school or football players, but with everything else associated with Ensworth football. I've been going to high school football games all across the state for over 40 years. I swear, if it wasn't for the Coaches, sounds of the players, and kids behind the stands, I could have heard the crickets. There was absolutly NO atmosphere. NONE. And how does a school with everything Ensworth has NOT have a band, and play "CANNED" music and cheers? I'm sure nobody cares what I think, but it made me proud that my kids went to a small public school where the whole community comes out, cheers, knows all the players names,and knows all the parents names and makes it an event evey game.

I think maybe you're being a little harsh on Ensworth. Remember that it's still a relatively new school, it only produces a small number of alumini each year, and at this point, I don't believe any of them have completed college and come home yet. They don't have the built in community that public schools have (or had, that idea died in Nashville in the '70's, and attendance at Metro games is a reflection of that sad fact). They don't have any real traditions at the high school yet, because they haven't been around long enough. Give them some time.

A private school is less off a community and more fo a family. The boys will derive support from things you and I don't see or grasp, but it's there. And for what it's worth, my one trip to Ensworth (vs MBA) seemed full of atmosphere, and I would have been much happier if we had been back on The Hill.

And I certainly don't mean this as any knock on your community or small public school football. I grew up at games at Cumberland and Goodlettsville High Schools, where the crowd was composed of your friends and neighbors, and evrybody knew each other. It was a great experience, and I'm pleased to know it still exists somehwere.

Edited by KWoodroof

Termite may I invite you to attend a Blackman Football game. It is probably the best atmosphere in the state of Tennessee. Big crowd, pep band that won't shut up and a regular band that rock the house.

Really a great place to be under the Friday Night Lights! :popcorneater:

P.S. I forgot to mention football in 7AAA is pretty good too.

Edited by mykidsdad

Guest Termite

I think maybe you're being a little harsh on Ensworth. Remember that it's still a relatively new school, it only produces a small number of alumini each year, and at this point, I don't believe any of them have completed college and come home yet. They don't have the built in community that public schools have (or had, that idea died in Nashville in the '70's, and attendance at Metro games is a reflection of that sad fact). They don't have any real traditions at the high school yet, because they haven't been around long enough. Give them some time.

A private school is less off a community and more fo a family. The boys will derive support from things you and I don't see or grasp, but it's there. And for what it's worth, my one trip to Ensworth (vs MBA) seemed full of atmosphere, and I would have been much happier if we had been back on The Hill.

And I certainly don't mean this as any knock on your community or small public school football. I grew up at games at Cumberland and Goodlettsville High Schools, where the crowd was composed of your friends and neighbors, and evrybody knew each other. It was a great experience, and I'm pleased to know it still exists somehwere.

You are probably right, but I was excited to be able to go because of the players they put on the field. I just knew there had to be a lot excitement in a game with great players and what is or is becoming one of the best programs in the state.I expected a lot more than what I got. I am a Smith County fan and grad.. SC is known for their football (3A) and is consistantly rated as being in the top 10 in football atmosphere. I'm not into a public/private debate. It's just about football and enjoying the game.( But I still can't get over the canned music and cheers :roll: ).

It may come as a shock to you, but "great athletes" are attracted by the quality of coaches and facilities at these schools, not to mention the educational opportunities. It is blessing when financial aid enables any child for whatever reason to attend these schools when otherwise they might not be able to do so.

25% of the students at my school receive some financial aid. Only a handful play sports. Public school is "free." All private school parents pay something out-of-pocket, and it is usually not "chump change." Have you ever actually talked to a parent of one of these athletes? It would open your eyes.

During another one of these endless chats last year, one poster pointed out that technically ALL DII students are "recruited" since there is no base source for their students. Another poster had no problem with a general "open house" but decried our inviting actual athletes to a sporting event we were hosting as blatant "recruiting." Eye of the beholder. I'm sure the musicians and chess players were offended.

This is certainly the case with a lot of students, I will concede that. However, there are a lot of these kids that go to the schools, thinking they are going to be stars, later to realize that it isn't always as it appears.

I am not knocking private schools, I suppose to each his own. Some schools are certainly better than others. Some have great facilities, coaches, traditions... Others, well, not so much. Some do offer wonderful opportunities that may not be available at the public school in which a student would have gone to. However, I would still have to argue that with the "majority" of students, your education is what you make of it. As a parent, I believe that High School is about a lot more than just education and is truly about your overall development; educational, social, athletics, life. I'm not sure that the really small private schools prepare a child for life.

BTW, I have and do talk to several of these parents, regularly. Some are happy, others are not.