Ensworth Recruiting

No1Likes

As long as play their post season in a league (DII)where the other schools recruit (which they do), then I could care less.....

LMAO.....classic

Wow.....another great and eye-opener statement "....other schools recruit (which they do)".

I'm convinced now because you said so.

How about this...Public schools allow academic cheating for their stud athletes.

I have no proof, but it sure feels good to state something I know nothing about.

Edited by shakinthefat

Actually I would say that I know 8-10 at different schools and more than half are there for sports, not all the other things that the brochure talks about. Though I'll not say they were illegally "recruited", they were coerced by people "associated" with the athletic programs.

Though not illegal... One parent returning to MS games with their freshman son, making certain to speak to all the parents of the "better" players. Again, not illegal on the surface, but it is "recruiting". Kind of like the UT hostesses?? That was under investigation because they were an "extension" of the university. Now is that apples to apples, probably not, but it is recruiting! Unless we are there we don't know if the coach, AD, school official had any input.

We all know that there are some things that go on in the "gray" area that make some coaches/schools better than others at getting athletes. Now that is not to say that some players don't go for the exposure, as they certainly do.

I fully believe it happens and that is fine by me. That's why there is another division. What I don't like is that everyone treats it as taboo and acts like it doesn't happen, ANYWHERE. Sure there are people that go for the other things in the "brochure" and some because it is a family tradition/legacy/etc., but the majority of the potential future DI prospects aren't going to the private schools so they can spend a little more time helping their community, improving their ACT score or any of the many other reasons we could all list by reading one of the private school brochures. They are going for ATHLETIC purposes.

Interesting that you think you know the full motivation behind the decisions of the families made in your 8-10 anecdotal examples. However, for the half or so that are athletes, common sense indicates that athletics would be and should be a factor in their decision. For an athlete, why would a family, even those getting financial aid due to the family's financial situation, be will be willing to pay thousands of dollars in tuition to go to a lesser athletic program? Of course you admit that they weren't "recruited" but they were "coerced". That would be worse. What sort of force did these "associates" of the athletic programs use to coerce these kids to come to their school?

With regards to the proud father describing his son's new team as being better than where he was, I guess we had better shut down all of these boards. If it is recruiting for a loyal fan to claim that their players are "better", then almost every post on these boards, including those supporting whatever school you support, would qualify as recruiting.

Finally, you say that the majority of D1 prospects in private schools are there only for ATHLETIC purposes. Since there are many D1 prospects in the public schools, in fact, on a gross basis I would guess there are more than in the privates, why would they go to the trouble and pay the money to change to the privates if there is no other reason than athletics?

Edited by mtnrasslin

Wow.....another great and eye-opener statement "....other schools recruit (which they do)".

How about this...Public schools allow academic cheating for their stud athletes.

I have no proof,f but it sure feels good to state something I know nothing about.

That's a good one, Shakin'!!

I have no proof, but it sure feels good to state something I know nothing about.

I believe I put a positive spin on my post and I was fair about it. I was not trying to bash any DII schools w/ my post. My point was, it doesnt matter if they recruit as long as those teams playing in their division are afforded the same advantages. Why do you think they created a seperate play-off bracket for these teams? Its not public knowledge but if you dont believe they recruit, then you are just being naive.....

In a nut shell.....

they dont recruit, they just ask really really nicely if they would like to play football at a school like this one.

Edited by Kevin38

I believe I put a positive spin on my post and I was fair about it. I was not trying to bash any DII schools w/ my post. My point was, it doesnt matter if they recruit as long as those teams playing in their division are afforded the same advantages. Why do you think they created a seperate play-off bracket for these teams? Its not public knowledge but if you dont believe they recruit, then you are just being naive.....

In a nut shell.....

MBA had four DI players last year. Fitz Lassing, Brad Bars, William Tanner, and Andrew Fletcher. They play at Vanderbilt, Penn State, Kentucky, and Louisville. Fitz along with William attended Oak Hill, a school that sends roughly 25 boys to MBA every year. Brad attended Woodland I think, and I'm pretty sure Andrew attended a catholic elementary school. These were the four best players on MBA's team last year. None were recruited. I know three for sure were not on financial aid. I am sure there are plenty of other DII schools who have players exactly like this. Did it ever occur to you that many of the scholarship players are not very good? The financial aid is need based, not based on how good of an athlete you are.

MBA had four DI players last year. Fitz Lassing, Brad Bars, William Tanner, and Andrew Fletcher. They play at Vanderbilt, Penn State, Kentucky, and Louisville. Fitz along with William attended Oak Hill, a school that sends roughly 25 boys to MBA every year. Brad attended Woodland I think, and I'm pretty sure Andrew attended a catholic elementary school. These were the four best players on MBA's team last year. None were recruited. I know three for sure were not on financial aid. I am sure there are plenty of other DII schools who have players exactly like this. Did it ever occur to you that many of the scholarship players are not very good? The financial aid is need based, not based on how good of an athlete you are.

But can it be said that if you are a good athlete you can be even more needed, I meant to say needy! :popcorneater:

No, need is established by an independent company in New Jersey. The school has no say in the issue.

But does the school have a say in the issue if a wealthy alum or current parent with excess disposable income makes up the difference in the tuition need established by that independent company?

Soooooo your saying the independent firm as no idea how good of an athlete the kid is? :popcorneater:

The independent firm has no idea about the student's athletic skills, but that alum or affluent parent (or group of parents) who 'sponsor' the unfunded portion of the financial aid does.

I really couldn't care less, but to try and pretend it doesn't happen under a veil of "fiancial aid" is nonsense. How else to do explain the pure number of great athletes?

It may come as a shock to you, but "great athletes" are attracted by the quality of coaches and facilities at these schools, not to mention the educational opportunities. It is blessing when financial aid enables any child for whatever reason to attend these schools when otherwise they might not be able to do so.

25% of the students at my school receive some financial aid. Only a handful play sports. Public school is "free." All private school parents pay something out-of-pocket, and it is usually not "chump change." Have you ever actually talked to a parent of one of these athletes? It would open your eyes.

During another one of these endless chats last year, one poster pointed out that technically ALL DII students are "recruited" since there is no base source for their students. Another poster had no problem with a general "open house" but decried our inviting actual athletes to a sporting event we were hosting as blatant "recruiting." Eye of the beholder. I'm sure the musicians and chess players were offended.

Edited by owlbooster

The independent firm has no idea about the student's athletic skills, but that alum or affluent parent (or group of parents) who 'sponsor' the unfunded portion of the financial aid does.

What R U talking about??? I am anxious to hear WHICH specific school has such a slush fund and WHICH particular athlete has benefited from it. You obviously have inside information, so please share it with the rest of us.