asst coach getting paid for off season training

jjam

Is there any rules towards a member of coaching staff getting paid by the players/parents

for coaching on an individual basis outside normal practices?

I think it is a conflict of interest being that he gets paid by the school system and who

say's he won't slack on the normal practice to get you to sign up for his after school business.

For the ones who can't afford it, oh well , you'll just have to learn all you can in normal practice.

Also, I thought to do anything in the schools gym a proof of insurance and approval of practice times had to be signed?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check with your principal or AD.

our AD is our asst. principal and softball coach. There are certain teams in our district

just waiting for us to win that key game in tourney play. Then its going to be brought to

the TSSAA attention. Still wondering if its legal.

our AD is our asst. principal and softball coach. There are certain teams in our district

just waiting for us to win that key game in tourney play. Then its going to be brought to

the TSSAA attention. Still wondering if its legal.

It is not legal. It is another example of a person who has gotten into the profession for the wrong reason. Don't look to your AD for help, he's as crooked as the day is long.

I know one thing they better not be doing it except when practice allowed, and even then it might not be legal. For the assistant principal that is the AD and a coach is legal as long as their school system allows it. I know school systems that the AD has to be an administrator and they also coach. In this system they have won state championships in the past 5 years and TSSAA has not said anything.

What sport is it? Something sounds a little fishy here.Does he give lessons off season too?

First of all,its not the AD nor the adminstration. It's girls basketball and yes the

lessons are out of season and during. If you pay you can get individual practices

on the schools premises.

First of all,its not the AD nor the adminstration. It's girls basketball and yes the

lessons are out of season and during. If you pay you can get individual practices

on the schools premises.

Except by your school personel or coaching staff. Right now all coaches can do is work on strength and conditioning till Nov. 1. You can work on skills if another coach from another school is doing it, and it is open to any student from anywhere. You may have open gym but you are not allowed to coach your players, only observe. Anything else is a TSSAA infraction and can negatively impact your season.

Woops.

TSSAA needs to update their rules to allow coaches to work on individual skill with their players out of season. I'm not saying have full out everyone on the roster in the gym working on team offenses and defenses etc. I just think it would be help basketball in the state to allow a coach to take kids in the off season to help them build their individual offensive and defensive skills.

I don't understand how the TSSAA can tell a kid that wants to get better they can't work with their coach on skills. You can't tell me that most schools aren't already doing this. Right now if you follow the rules you are put at a compteitive disadvantage.

It sounds like the coach is just giving private basketball lessons to make a few extra bucks. As long as the AD and principal have no problem with this procedure the coach should be good to go. What would be the difference between having a basketball camp & giving one on one lessons to kids? No one is complaining about the algebra teacher tutoring on the side or the english teacher tutoring kids on a term paper.

TSSAA needs to update their rules to allow coaches to work on individual skill with their players out of season. I'm not saying have full out everyone on the roster in the gym working on team offenses and defenses etc. I just think it would be help basketball in the state to allow a coach to take kids in the off season to help them build their individual offensive and defensive skills.

I don't understand how the TSSAA can tell a kid that wants to get better they can't work with their coach on skills. You can't tell me that most schools aren't already doing this. Right now if you follow the rules you are put at a compteitive disadvantage.

practice rules need to be that you can practice anytime while in school but cannot practice a player/players that are in-season in another sport. Have a dead period 3 weeks after your season is over for players to recover. Then place more limits or do away with completely the organized summer practice. Have open gym all summer if players want to come. This would give players more time away to go on family vacations or be kids but also not cut actual practice time out. Who can travel while school is going on whether teams can practice or not?