Westview @ Obion Co

treefitty74

Westview wins this one tonight it Troy 31-21....

Westview scored first after OC had driven from their 20 to the Westview 37 and then threw an interception..Westview started their drive on the Rebel 20 and got a TD by Haddad...Haddad was also the player with the Int...

OC answered on the last play of the quarter but missed the PAT leaving the Rebels behind 7-6 and chasing that extra point right off the bat...

Westview scored after they returned the KO to the Rebel 25 to go up 14-6 then OC answered near the end of the half to close to 14-13...

Westview opened the 2nd half with a time consuming 6+ min drive to go up 21-13...Later on Westview connected on a 40 yard FG to go up 24-13...OC quickly answered and converted a pretty Tebow pass from Fair to Williams on the 2pt conversion to close to 24-21...OC held but was pinned down inside their own 10 after a silly block in the back..Westview held and punted from their own end zone..The punt was short and Westview started their third scoring drive inside Rebel territory..The Chargers had a 4th and 6 that they converted into a TD by Haddad to finish out the scoring at 31-21 with less than a minute remaining..

A couple of thoughts on the game....

Westview dominated the special teams game...Their kicker (Haddad) pinned the Rebels on almost every kickoff by putting it the end zone...Their punter pinned the Rebels inside their 20 and they kicked a 40 yard FG...Add to that,their KO returns and they dominated that aspect of the game...

Penalties by both teams...Westview had 12 OC probably had near that many...OC had two bad penalties that you could call not very smart...One on the punt after OC had stopped Westview with close to 5 mins left in the game...The Rebs had gotten the ball out to close to the 30 but the obvious penalty brought it back to the 8...

The other was after the Westview QB had run for a first down late on a 3rd a long...The Chargers had committed a holding penalty that would have negated the first down and made it a longer attempt but an OC player for some reason hits the QB two or three yards out of bounds...The officials marked off both penalties and Westview got the first down anyway...

Have any of you ever seen SO many official conferences ??..I mean just about after every flag was thrown...

Do any of you Westview fans know what your coach was doing when you guys had the ball with a little over 6 mins left and he throws the ball not once but twice, killing the clock and allowing OC to have a chance with around 5 1/2 mins left??...Had OC gotten the ball on the 30 instead of the 8 and scored you could have put that one on the coach..OC had 1 TO and Westview was running the ball well...It worked out but it didn't make much sense...

Westview had a fit trying to stop the OC passing game...Phipps threw for around 350 yards...OC's lack of a running game hurt very much tonight...

Westview is a good team...They are not flashy...What they do they do well...But OC didn't do the little things tonight...The INT was a busted play...The receiver ran the wrong route and Phipps still threw to him...Easy INT...The missed PAT...The bad penalties..The wasted time outs in the fourth quarter, one on a kick-off then another when OC didn't have the right people in when Westview was punting...The defensive ends lose containment on almost every play..Haddad bounced outside a bunch of times to find nobody out there to stop him....The defense did make stops tonight...They were put in four very bad positions that resulted in 24 points...Four Westview scoring drives started deep in side Rebel territory...

Congrats to the Chargers...The Rebels got to strap it on tight the next two weeks...No more losses...

Edited by Purple & Gold Standard

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chemistry is not an issue. I'm not sure where you get that. They all play very well together. The biggest thing tonight in my opinion was field position. Westview excels in special teams and always have. They made OC start from the twenty on most drives and Spencer did a wonderful job of punting. Also Westviews run defense was outstanding. I think La Devin only had 26 yards rushing. They did an excellent job of spying him all night. Trey had over 300 yards passing but threw 54 passes completing 33 of them. Coach Jackson said that was the most passes he's had a QB throw. I was happy to see the Rebs walk off the field with there heads up. They had nothing to be ashamed about. It was a very well played and clean game on both sides.

Chemistry is not an issue. I'm not sure where you get that. They all play very well together. The biggest thing tonight in my opinion was field position. Westview excels in special teams and always have. They made OC start from the twenty on most drives and Spencer did a wonderful job of punting. Also Westviews run defense was outstanding. I think La Devin only had 26 yards rushing. They did an excellent job of spying him all night. Trey had over 300 yards passing but threw 54 passes completing 33 of them. Coach Jackson said that was the most passes he's had a QB throw. I was happy to see the Rebs walk off the field with there heads up. They had nothing to be ashamed about. It was a very well played and clean game on both sides.

I knew OC had a very good offense and it shows. I thought there were a few questionable hits on #8, especially on kick offs (when he was the kicker/not the kick returner). WV had a 112 yards in penalties, OC had 45.

OC has a good squad and is definitely on the uptick. If they win out and get in, someone who doesn't play them will have fits with their passing game. Pretty accurate for a high school QB. But if #21 doesn't touch the ball more, some team will shut you down. He is a beast. Good luck to OC the rest of the way.

I knew OC had a very good offense and it shows. I thought there were a few questionable hits on #8, especially on kick offs (when he was the kicker/not the kick returner). WV had a 112 yards in penalties, OC had 45.

OC has a good squad and is definitely on the uptick. If they win out and get in, someone who doesn't play them will have fits with their passing game. Pretty accurate for a high school QB. But if #21 doesn't touch the ball more, some team will shut you down. He is a beast. Good luck to OC the rest of the way.

I thought he got enough touches. Westview did an excellent job of spying him and limiting what he could do. He is a beast though. Good luck to Westview as well.

Rebels loose a tough game tonight. Had a chance or two to take lead. To Many Yellow flags again on the Rebels side and then turnovers.

To be a good team...you have to beat the good team(s) and it just seems the Rebels get so close and no cigar. I am and have been hopeful that each big game week will be that win but still waiting.

The Rebels had a chance to prove themselves tonight and have come a LONG way in a few years. Seems the playoff hopes are very slim now. Still have the chance but who knows with this crap the TSSAA has for a playoff system. The best the Rebels can do now is 5 and 5. They will beat Gibson County and should beat Ripley but who knows on that game also. This ALL depends on what Rebel team shows up. Chemistry is still the key and there is something missing.

With having a back like Fair....even on a team like Westview..he has to have more than 4 yards. The Rebels needs more running game to add to him. The passing game is there but can win in playooffs with just a passing game...ain't going to work. They ( Westview ) keyed on Fair and kept him down...Cody knew coming in what to do and did. Fair gets 100 yrs tonight and the Rebels win.

Keep fighting hard...keep heads up and things will happen sooner or later. Good luck the rest of the season and "possible" playoffs.

Dude...I'm a UC fan...Love the Tornadoes and after this football season I'm back to the Purple and Gold but you have posted this same type of thing about beating good teams all year about the Rebels...It's true...We get it...People that have seen the Rebels this year know it but for the love of all that's good...WHO HAVE THE TORNADOES BEATEN THIS YEAR ??..Nobody with a winning record...

There are alot of things that needs to happen to win games...Fair had close to 180 yards rushing in a loss to Crockett County earlier in the year...He has right at 800 yards through 8 games..Not may teams around here with a QB with close 1900 yards passing and a RB with right at 800...OC's biggest problem this year has been the inability to stop anyone on defense...

Another problem tonight was the lack of production on first down...The Rebs continually had 2nd and 10-15 yards...I bet the Rebs had less than 20 yards total on first down and they had 20 first downs tonight...Field position killed the Rebs tonight as well...I imagine the average starting point on drives for Westview was close to midfield..OC started almost every drive at their own 20 or further in...

Most teams do go after the kicker....I didn't specifically watch every kick-off to see what was going on but the one where he was laying on the ground hurt was from a cramp..He battled cramps about the last quarter and a half...

He is a do everything type of player..Kicker, DB and RB and he made an impact in every aspect....

I thought he got enough touches. Westview did an excellent job of spying him and limiting what he could do. He is a beast though. Good luck to Westview as well.

I thought he did too...As the game went on I thought he had too many because it just wasn't working tonight...OC has major problems against well coached physical teams because spread offenses are not good power running teams...Ran the ball way too many times on first down....Westview has some good open field tacklers..Fair had two or three receptions in which had he gotten by one guy he had open space in front of him but that one guy made the tackle..

Was anyone surprised that Westview ran off-tackle all night? I know I wasn't. I still say there has to be a change in scheme, assignment or personnel or that bleeding wound will continue to rear its ugly head. I agree field position was a huge factor last night, but the off-tackle run was still the Rebel's nemesis. I also agree that OC stuck to the run on 1st down way too often. It wasn't working. Fair had 36 yards rushing and fought for every yard (Phipps lost 10 yards rushing for the final stat of 26 for the team). Westview had a very good D-line. I think we helped out their defense by throwing short all night. Westview did get some pressure on the QB, but it wasn't a sustained pressure where he never had time to throw. I just think you have to throw downfield more to open up the short game.

Westview has a real good team, but Haddad is their sole threat in my opinion. No doubt, that was the only threat needed last night. They throw enough to keep you honest and I think they will make a good playoff run. Congratulations to the Chargers on the win.

And P&G, you're right about all the conferences by the refs. Never seen a night like that. Then again, dang what a bunch of yellow flying last night. And Westview caught more than their share of it. Some of the procedure penalties against them were, in my mind, questionable. I usually can see the field pretty well, but I missed a lot of the flags last night. And the interference calls the Rebel fans wanted? Well timed hits by the Chargers. I only saw one that was a possibility, but still think it was a good no-call. I agree with Rebfan65, there was no chemistry problem. The problem is someone has to make an adjustment in the defense. Westview only had like 235 yards total, but they were on a short field all night. Its not like OC stifled them.

Heads up Rebels. You still have games and possibilities in the next few weeks. Your real fans have your back through thick and thin. Suck it up guys and get ready for next week. See you in Gibson County. GO REBELS!!!!!!!

Westview wins this one tonight it Troy 31-21....

Westview scored first after OC had driven from their 20 to the Westview 37 and then threw an interception..Westview started their drive on the Rebel 20 and got a TD by Haddad...Haddad was also the player with the Int...

OC answered on the last play of the quarter but missed the PAT leaving the Rebels behind 7-6 and chasing that extra point right off the bat...

Westview scored after they returned the KO to the Rebel 25 to go up 14-6 then OC answered near the end of the half to close to 14-13...

Westview opened the 2nd half with a time consuming 6+ min drive to go up 21-13...Later on Westview connected on a 40 yard FG to go up 24-13...OC quickly answered and converted a pretty Tebow pass from Fair to Williams on the 2pt conversion to close to 24-21...OC held but was pinned down inside their own 10 after a silly block in the back..Westview held and punted from their own end zone..The punt was short and Westview started their third scoring drive inside Rebel territory..The Chargers had a 4th and 6 that they converted into a TD by Haddad to finish out the scoring at 31-21 with less than a minute remaining..

A couple of thoughts on the game....

Westview dominated the special teams game...Their kicker (Haddad) pinned the Rebels on almost every kickoff by putting it the end zone...Their punter pinned the Rebels inside their 20 and they kicked a 40 yard FG...Add to that,their KO returns and they dominated that aspect of the game...

Penalties by both teams...Westview had 12 OC probably had near that many...OC had two bad penalties that you could call not very smart...One on the punt after OC had stopped Westview with close to 5 mins left in the game...The Rebs had gotten the ball out to close to the 30 but the obvious penalty brought it back to the 8...

The other was after the Westview QB had run for a first down late on a 3rd a long...The Chargers had committed a holding penalty that would have negated the first down and made it a longer attempt but an OC player for some reason hits the QB two or three yards out of bounds...The officials marked off both penalties and Westview got the first down anyway...

Have any of you ever seen SO many official conferences ??..I mean just about after every flag was thrown...

Do any of you Westview fans know what your coach was doing when you guys had the ball with a little over 6 mins left and he throws the ball not once but twice, killing the clock and allowing OC to have a chance with around 5 1/2 mins left??...Had OC gotten the ball on the 30 instead of the 8 and scored you could have put that one on the coach..OC had 1 TO and Westview was running the ball well...It worked out but it didn't make much sense...

Westview had a fit trying to stop the OC passing game...Phipps threw for around 350 yards...OC's lack of a running game hurt very much tonight...

Westview is a good team...They are not flashy...What they do they do well...But OC didn't do the little things tonight...The INT was a busted play...The receiver ran the wrong route and Phipps still threw to him...Easy INT...The missed PAT...The bad penalties..The wasted time outs in the fourth quarter, one on a kick-off then another when OC didn't have the right people in when Westview was punting...The defensive ends lose containment on almost every play..Haddad bounced outside a bunch of times to find nobody out there to stop him....The defense did make stops tonight...They were put in four very bad positions that resulted in 24 points...Four Westview scoring drives started deep in side Rebel territory...

Congrats to the Chargers...The Rebels got to strap it on tight the next two weeks...No more losses...

IS there some rule that says you can't throw the football with under 6:00 minutes to go in a game with a lead?? That's the most "1A" comment I've ever heard!

You could tell Coady and his staff watched film on OC and payed attention to what other teams did to OC in certain situations, unlike Dyersburg...I don't know if he had film on the Siketson game but I saw at least two plays they ran in third down situations that Sikeston ran...

You see other things as well....Did you notice Westview started crashing the Rebel defensive ends??...Even though the off-tackle was working our ends were still running up field and losing containment..When OC would make a play they would then just crash our DEs and Haddad would bounce it out into the open and since our corners play 10-12 yards off the line he was able to get chunks of yards before he was even touched...Never did make an adjustment to that..That's why those jet sweeps worked and why Spencer was able to bootleg effectively...We still have times where we are not throwing to wide open receivers..I have been told that when they call a play there is no set receiver assigned, so that tells me there is still no progression going on..Phipps threw for around 350 but he could have had 450 or more...He did get some pressure but like justaOCfan said it wasn't sustained...One time in particular he was being rushed and had Fair as a safety valve right in front of him but threw the ball over a receiver's head on the sideline...Then on the very next play when it was 3rd and 6 he threw to Fair on a 3 yard route and was short of the first down..He is just a first year starter and is very good...When he learns to go through his total progression, when needed, he will be VERY good....Sometimes his favorite targets are covered, it happens...He has one, two or even three receivers open, depending on the quality of secondary they are up against, every play....First down killed the Rebels, absolutely killed them...Almost every time they started a series with a run and it ended up being 2nd and 13....Like coach said, Fair is too good a back to be getting 36 yards or whatever it was..He said they are going to have to go back and see how they are doing things with their ground game...HUGE gap in the special teams between both teams...Westview had a real good one...GCPioneer said that they (GC) blocked two Charger PAT's...Apparently Westview shored that up or we didn't notice it in film....Little things win games and OC didn't do the little things last night...

IS there some rule that says you can't throw the football with under 6:00 minutes to go in a game with a lead?? That's the most "1A" comment I've ever heard!

It's not clock management...Sure you can throw the ball....But when you are on the plus side of the 50 with a lead and your opponent has only one time out and you can pretty much get a first down on the ground anytime you want, why risk the clock stopping on an incomplete pass ??....They only ran about 40 seconds off the game clock and basically gave OC a free possession..Had OC not committed a bad penalty they would have had the ball on their own 30 yard line, which would have been just about their best starting field position all night....

That's elementary clock management you learn in junior high coaching.......Like I said, it worked out but didn't make any sense...

You could tell Coady and his staff watched film on OC and payed attention to what other teams did to OC in certain situations, unlike Dyersburg...I don't know if he had film on the Siketson game but I saw at least two plays they ran in third down situations that Sikeston ran...

You see other things as well....Did you notice Westview started crashing the Rebel defensive ends??...Even though the off-tackle was working our ends were still running up field and losing containment..When OC would make a play they would then just crash our DEs and Haddad would bounce it out into the open and since our corners play 10-12 yards off the line he was able to get chunks of yards before he was even touched...Never did make an adjustment to that..That's why those jet sweeps worked and why Spencer was able to bootleg effectively...We still have times where we are not throwing to wide open receivers..I have been told that when they call a play there is no set receiver assigned, so that tells me there is still no progression going on..Phipps threw for around 350 but he could have had 450 or more...He did get some pressure but like justaOCfan said it wasn't sustained...One time in particular he was being rushed and had Fair as a safety valve right in front of him but threw the ball over a receiver's head on the sideline...Then on the very next play when it was 3rd and 6 he threw to Fair on a 3 yard route and was short of the first down..He is just a first year starter and is very good...When he learns to go through his total progression, when needed, he will be VERY good....Sometimes his favorite targets are covered, it happens...He has one, two or even three receivers open, depending on the quality of secondary they are up against, every play....First down killed the Rebels, absolutely killed them...Almost every time they started a series with a run and it ended up being 2nd and 13....Like coach said, Fair is too good a back to be getting 36 yards or whatever it was..He said they are going to have to go back and see how they are doing things with their ground game...HUGE gap in the special teams between both teams...Westview had a real good one...GCPioneer said that they (GC) blocked two Charger PAT's...Apparently Westview shored that up or we didn't notice it in film....Little things win games and OC didn't do the little things last night...

It might be our XP block team that we have :roflol: We blocked 3 more last night against Crockett Co. Our XP block team is the best thing we have going for us right now. See you Black Bear Rebels down in Dyer next week! :roflol:

Edited by GCPioneer