Sullivan South vs Science Hill

The Hill

I mean, we had to win otherwise we were done and we could still be done. But I feel badly for Stacy. I mean their stadium was only half full. We live in an instant gratification world and to build what Stacy will eventually build takes lots of people and time. Hill and other 'Topper faithful have said from the beginning that they understand that. And I guess they know they have to tow the line. But where they are from where they were is already a world away.

Thursday night has more to do with it than you think comp. A lot of people can't go cause they have to work or their shifts go until a certain time. Even if the stadium is half full that is still 3000 people at the game.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday night has more to do with it than you think comp. A lot of people can't go cause they have to work or their shifts go until a certain time. Even if the stadium is half full that is still 3000 people at the game.

The attendance was even more than I expected. The reason for the low turnout was becasue of the city schools' fall break.

So I know both these teams are a spread orientated team, but with Boone and TN High beating SH...is it fair to say that the spread offense that was brought up here is finally getting defended a lot better? The Boone/South game was atrocious (good thing they may get to try again in the playoffs) but it seems like Boone and TN High did just fine against that spread...could be now you have to have even more weapons in the play calling and sets in upper east.

Good show for Haynie with a big win that was much needed. South's record does not reflect this team. Looks like South is one step closer to securing a playoff spot...which leaves everything as being REALLY interesting now.

South wins out, South will be 6-4 and second place in the conference in wins (if my numbers are correct) with only a loss to DB.

TN High wins out they are pretty much int he driver's seat for 2nd place in the conference

Boone wins out that is fine, but they need South to lose 2 games to be runners up, as in a tie South will beat Boone since they beat Boone.

When it hits playoff times tho, South would be seated lower even if they had a better district set of wins...correct?

SH looks like they are setting themself up for a 6-4 season with a first round playoff birth against (and I am guessing) Maryville. I would say you will see some grumblings from the SH camp but I think that HYPE is something that people fell victim to. I still say SH will be the team to beat next year....still played in a lot of tough games and won some they should have lost and perhaps lost some they should have won.

Sounds like it was a good game.

Thankfully, maryville is in quad 2 at the moment. In quad 1, there are alot of teams with 5 wins going into this week. If science hill can find a way to win at DB, they should still be in position to host a home game in the 1st round of the playoffs. The more likely scenario would be science hill traveling to farragut or bearden.

So I know both these teams are a spread orientated team, but with Boone and TN High beating SH...is it fair to say that the spread offense that was brought up here is finally getting defended a lot better? The Boone/South game was atrocious (good thing they may get to try again in the playoffs) but it seems like Boone and TN High did just fine against that spread...could be now you have to have even more weapons in the play calling and sets in upper east.

I think it has more to do with who is running it than who is defending it FB. The spread features a running QB. The Toppers feature a passing QB running for his life. 300 total yards rushing by the QB 7 games into the season is not enough to take the pressure off the RB and make the spread more balanced IMO.

On the other hand, South and Science Hill were 2nd and 3rd respectively in total offense in the Big 8 trailing only a powerful D-B option attack. I would say the spread still has a few years to run before it is out of vogue.

Edited by crawdad

I think it has more to do with who is running it than who is defending it FB. The spread features a running QB. The Toppers feature a passing QB running for his life. 300 total yards rushing by the QB 7 games into the season is not enough to take the pressure off the RB and make the spread more balanced IMO.

On the other hand, South and Science Hill were 2nd and 3rd respectively in total offense in the Big 8 trailing only a powerful D-B option attack. I would say the spread still has a few years to run before it is out of vogue.

Well depends on where you are at in the US I guess, it seems like it is getting more of a hold here, but your first paragraph really sets what has to be in the spread, and it shows why it worked for South so many years. You have to have a great running QB and a great running back to get it off the ground. If you don't have those, you are going to be getting in shoot outs. The QB's from South not only could run circles around defenses, but as soon as you set back and looked for another run, they'd zip it down field for a perfect pass.

I think that SH has the athletes, but not the experience in this department. Says that there is world's of difference in the feeder systems of South vs SH.

SH can have a dominate program, but it is going to take a lot of time to get everything built in where it should be.

And at 6-4...first season what was Smith? 5-5? 6-4? I believe his best year was when he went 7-4 with a playoff birth.

Well depends on where you are at in the US I guess, it seems like it is getting more of a hold here, but your first paragraph really sets what has to be in the spread, and it shows why it worked for South so many years. You have to have a great running QB and a great running back to get it off the ground. If you don't have those, you are going to be getting in shoot outs. The QB's from South not only could run circles around defenses, but as soon as you set back and looked for another run, they'd zip it down field for a perfect pass.

I think that SH has the athletes, but not the experience in this department. Says that there is world's of difference in the feeder systems of South vs SH.

SH can have a dominate program, but it is going to take a lot of time to get everything built in where it should be.

And at 6-4...first season what was Smith? 5-5? 6-4? I believe his best year was when he went 7-4 with a playoff birth.

Feeder systems are important. I keep hearing how bright the future is at Science Hill for football talent. Colonial Heights just beat Science Hill 38-0 to claim the middle school championship.

It was obvious to me last night at the Tip that the Topper program is a lot about individuals and less about team. With pictures of individual players up on the fence and a rap song featuring many of the star players in the lyrics broadcast over the loudspeakers, one would wonder where the emphasis is , on team or self. I am really surprised Coach Carter has already compromised on this issue this fast.

Edited by crawdad