Sullivan South vs Science Hill

The Hill

Feeder systems are important. I keep hearing how bright the future is at Science Hill for football talent. Colonial Heights just beat Science Hill 38-0 to claim the middle school championship.

If was obvious to me last night at the Tip that the Topper program is a lot about individuals and less about team. With pictures of individual players up on the fence and a rap song featuring many of the star players in the lyrics broadcast over the loudspeakers, one would wonder where the emphasis is , on team or self. I am really surprised Coach Carter has already compromised on this issue this fast.

Hey, he is living and learning like every other coach that has been at SH.

For me, all the articles and press and hype have just made me shake my head. I guess I can understand the excitement of having a brand new stadium and a new head coach...new uniforms new everything. It seemed like a rebirth of the program. But anyone who has been around knows that it takes time to get things set up how you want things. SH did not just wake up in August and suddenly have a dominating school in every aspect football wise. Football has always been weak in JC compared to the dominate basketball and baseball teams that SH has put together.

Differences in how things are set up (and I look to see a shake up in feeder systems in JC next year) in Washington County now, every single middle school coach reports to the high school coach on both sides of the county. So not only does each coach have some control over what kids are learning, but they also have a good idea of who is coming up. I think the coaches on the Boone side of the county middle school wise have a good set up and there are some good coaches, so it is a win for Boone in that regard.

The Jr. Trailblazer program is relatively new compared to programs built like South and DB...so you have kids all the way down to 6 in Gray playing football and building up excitement to play at Boone one day. Another win.

Your post about the individuals on the team was only multiplied by the press this year. Big articles on Nelson and Carter were a given, and I can see why. The article on the twins (and those are two good kids) and other players weekly has to make some of the other players on the team have a chip on their shoulder. And it isn't like I am saying it is Carter's fault that the JC Press had an article every single week, but that kind of thing is something that needs to be controlled a bit better. Take for instance the article this past Sunday after the SH Boone game. Connell was mentioned, yes, but you had a full article basically saying the name of every single offensive and defensive lineman. That type of article makes the hogs up front get fired up and really love it more than just having one article about one player. Again, it isn't like the coaches control that, but one would think the JC Press, if they really care about the program like they say, would send the love around to the rest of the team.

It's a team game, individuals are part of the team. I've seen programs where the individuals are the ones that hurt everyone else because no one feels appreciated. Their high school kids, this stuff really does bother them. I think that SH will eventually have this in place, but it has to be a rebirth that begins in the locker room and ignores what everyone says.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well depends on where you are at in the US I guess, it seems like it is getting more of a hold here, but your first paragraph really sets what has to be in the spread, and it shows why it worked for South so many years. You have to have a great running QB and a great running back to get it off the ground. If you don't have those, you are going to be getting in shoot outs. The QB's from South not only could run circles around defenses, but as soon as you set back and looked for another run, they'd zip it down field for a perfect pass.

I think that SH has the athletes, but not the experience in this department. Says that there is world's of difference in the feeder systems of South vs SH.

SH can have a dominate program, but it is going to take a lot of time to get everything built in where it should be.

And at 6-4...first season what was Smith? 5-5? 6-4? I believe his best year was when he went 7-4 with a playoff birth.

scott smith went 3-7 in his first year, 7-4 in 2008 (lost to farragut in 1st round of playoffs), and 4-6 last season.

scott smith went 3-7 in his first year, 7-4 in 2008 (lost to farragut in 1st round of playoffs), and 4-6 last season.

Shew, that is a tough 3 year period. I guess 6-4 would feel pretty good even if the Toppers don't win a single game against any of the tri-cities area teams....oops, forgot about Central...better get that one Toppers

Edited by crawdad

Shew, that is a tough 3 year period. I guess 6-4 would feel pretty good even if the Toppers don't win a single game against any of the tri-cities area teams....oops, forgot about Central...better get that one Toppers

I think the biggest disappointment from the SH camp is they didn't get those wins over TN High, South, Boone, and DB (sorry I think that one is too tough for anyone). Still, they picked up 2 more wins than last year....so 2.5 million a game. good deal. :flower:

Hey, he is living and learning like every other coach that has been at SH.

For me, all the articles and press and hype have just made me shake my head. I guess I can understand the excitement of having a brand new stadium and a new head coach...new uniforms new everything. It seemed like a rebirth of the program. But anyone who has been around knows that it takes time to get things set up how you want things. SH did not just wake up in August and suddenly have a dominating school in every aspect football wise. Football has always been weak in JC compared to the dominate basketball and baseball teams that SH has put together.

Differences in how things are set up (and I look to see a shake up in feeder systems in JC next year) in Washington County now, every single middle school coach reports to the high school coach on both sides of the county. So not only does each coach have some control over what kids are learning, but they also have a good idea of who is coming up. I think the coaches on the Boone side of the county middle school wise have a good set up and there are some good coaches, so it is a win for Boone in that regard.

The Jr. Trailblazer program is relatively new compared to programs built like South and DB...so you have kids all the way down to 6 in Gray playing football and building up excitement to play at Boone one day. Another win.

Your post about the individuals on the team was only multiplied by the press this year. Big articles on Nelson and Carter were a given, and I can see why. The article on the twins (and those are two good kids) and other players weekly has to make some of the other players on the team have a chip on their shoulder. And it isn't like I am saying it is Carter's fault that the JC Press had an article every single week, but that kind of thing is something that needs to be controlled a bit better. Take for instance the article this past Sunday after the SH Boone game. Connell was mentioned, yes, but you had a full article basically saying the name of every single offensive and defensive lineman. That type of article makes the hogs up front get fired up and really love it more than just having one article about one player. Again, it isn't like the coaches control that, but one would think the JC Press, if they really care about the program like they say, would send the love around to the rest of the team.

It's a team game, individuals are part of the team. I've seen programs where the individuals are the ones that hurt everyone else because no one feels appreciated. Their high school kids, this stuff really does bother them. I think that SH will eventually have this in place, but it has to be a rebirth that begins in the locker room and ignores what everyone says.

Good post FB. I think it's obvious that Stacy's hands are tied to a degree. In the beginning, at South, Stacy rejected that kind of advertising. I was part of a group that wanted to build it early and he flatly said we would build this program from the bottom and when it needs advertising it will advertise itself. He was adamant to make sure all understood that the mentality of the program was to build men not moguls. If the press and the money will leave him alone he will get them what they want. But I don't think they will leave him alone.

I mean...it is the reason he came in the first place if I rememeber correctly.

Your memory is quite accurate old friend. Let's see...theories, theories, theories...well:

1) the teacher did not see promise in the pupil

2) the teacher did not want to go down as attempting to steal away coaches AND players

3) the pupil was very comfortable in his new Rebel environs with teammates,classmates, and coaches

4) the new teacher was considered just as competent as the old one

5) to re-iterate: the notion is fading fast (RB looks pretty good)

others???

Your memory is quite accurate old friend. Let's see...theories, theories, theories...well:

1) the teacher did not see promise in the pupil

2) the teacher did not want to go down as attempting to steal away coaches AND players

3) the pupil was very comfortable in his new Rebel environs with teammates,classmates, and coaches

4) the new teacher was considered just as competent as the old one

5) to re-iterate: the notion is fading fast (RB looks pretty good)

others???

#5 MAY BE THE BIG ONE BECAUSE THE RUNNING BACK SHOE SURE DID LOOK LIKE A PERFECT FIT LAST NIGHT.I was told early this year the South Coaches liked his looks at rb real well. I know for a fact dad talked to a coach from another school about moving early in the season and it was not a SH COACH

NO THEORIES HERE JUST TRUTH

Feeder systems are important. I keep hearing how bright the future is at Science Hill for football talent. Colonial Heights just beat Science Hill 38-0 to claim the middle school championship.

It was obvious to me last night at the Tip that the Topper program is a lot about individuals and less about team. With pictures of individual players up on the fence and a rap song featuring many of the star players in the lyrics broadcast over the loudspeakers, one would wonder where the emphasis is , on team or self. I am really surprised Coach Carter has already compromised on this issue this fast.

The individual pictures at the stadium that you speak of are the Seniors. They have pictures of the football,volleyball, and cheerleaders up. I think it's a great idea and really nice way to honor the Seniors at the school who are playing Fall sports. The rap song features all of the players on the 2010 team to my knowledge. SH plays as a team and puts just as much emphasis on that word as any other school.

Edited by AlumnI01

The individual pictures at the stadium that you speak of are the Seniors. They have pictures of the football,volleyball, and cheerleaders up. I think it's a great idea and really nice way to honor the Seniors at the school who are playing Fall sports. The rap song features all of the players on the 2010 team to my knowledge. SH plays as a team and puts just as much emphasis on that word as any other school.

Hey good post there. It could have just been senior night, which we all have been a part of...so apology's for jumping any gun. I think a lot, even myself, are looking to see what the problem is...but I think experience in football is low in JC compared to other areas around here. It'll just take some time so let Carter do what he has to do is what I say. Haynie showed that he can get a big win when he needs one in wins over Boone and SH this year...and I think South can take it to TN High as well. District wise, South is looking to be in a good position to be runner up conference wise with an overall 6-4 record.

Playoff wise tho, and I don't agree with this, they are NOT going to get a higher seed because of an automatic birth, am I right?

Look at all the Good winning programs around the area and see if you can come up with one that does not have a great peewe, county, middle school program. The ones with the best ones are the ones winning. SC knew what the county & middle school Chargers along with some pirates did for him. I am sure he will address all that in JC as well. Clark knows what Lynn View peewee does for him thats why he sent every single player a letter last year. Long gone are the days of starting football in high school.

Hey good post there. It could have just been senior night, which we all have been a part of...so apology's for jumping any gun. I think a lot, even myself, are looking to see what the problem is...but I think experience in football is low in JC compared to other areas around here. It'll just take some time so let Carter do what he has to do is what I say. Haynie showed that he can get a big win when he needs one in wins over Boone and SH this year...and I think South can take it to TN High as well. District wise, South is looking to be in a good position to be runner up conference wise with an overall 6-4 record.

Playoff wise tho, and I don't agree with this, they are NOT going to get a higher seed because of an automatic birth, am I right?

right on...win out and a #1 or #2 virtually guaranteed for Boone depending on who moves over when Crockett and/ or Cherokee falter

Edited by crawdad