Maryville v. Farragut

fatherreb

Many of us have wanted this rivarly for so many years, and last year's reg. season match didn't disappoint. The playoff rematch was, perhaps another story. Farragut probably lost more key skill players than anybody in E.T. save Clinton this year. It seems to me that the West Knox boys started very very green, and played a beastly schedule (D-B, OR, Catholic, Riverdale, Bearden) and now its paying dividends. They would get my vote, after watching them play early season and then this week vs. Bearden, as the most improved team in the area. No superstars, but increasingly good team chemistry and effectiveness. Solid special teams and running game, along with a fine coaching staff should make them competitive.

While improved L.C. and W.B. teams remain on Maryville's schedule, looking at district standings says this is the sternest test left in reg. season. Thought we looked flat Thursday and have yet to play typical Maryville offense.

How does this one play out?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be a good game and very tough test for Maryville. Agree totally with your take on Farragut. A rebuilding year, and tough schedule but they have stayed the course and are right in the thick of things right now. Maryville has yet to play a complete game IMO. Particularly offensively.

I wish Maryville had a website like Farragut does . Anybody interested in watching all of the Farragut games can watch here .

Farragut football

If you watch their first few games VS their last couple , you can see that Fatherreb & Mhs has Farragut pegged just right . Farragut is a team that has improved tremendously and Maryville better be ready for a War ! I expect Maryville to play a lot better this week , the concentration just wasn't there for Catholic ( I hate Thursday games ! ) This could be the best team Maryville has played since Alcoa because of their Improvement .

Edited by pepvol

I wish Maryville had a website like Farragut does . Anybody interested in watching all of the Farragut games can watch here .

Farragut football

If you watch their first few games VS their last couple , you can see that Fatherreb & Mhs has Farragut pegged just right . Farragut is a team that has improved tremendously and Maryville better be ready for a War ! I expect Maryville to play a lot better this week , the concentration just wasn't there for Catholic ( I hate Thursday games ! ) This could be the best team Maryville has played since Alcoa because of their Improvement .

PV - I don't care for Thursday games either, for multiple reasons, but most of all for the players. Its seven hours of commitment for them from the time school's out till the games' over. If a paper is due or a test is to be taken the next day, too bad. The school may receive benefits for playing the games (when they're on tv), but not the players. I will say the past two Thursday games were while MHS was on Fall Break, and that did help. Like I said there are multiple reasons, some football related and some not. I understand that other sports play during the week, but they don't ask for seven hours where study can't happen.

Many of us have wanted this rivarly for so many years, and last year's reg. season match didn't disappoint. The playoff rematch was, perhaps another story. Farragut probably lost more key skill players than anybody in E.T. save Clinton this year. It seems to me that the West Knox boys started very very green, and played a beastly schedule (D-B, OR, Catholic, Riverdale, Bearden) and now its paying dividends. They would get my vote, after watching them play early season and then this week vs. Bearden, as the most improved team in the area. No superstars, but increasingly good team chemistry and effectiveness. Solid special teams and running game, along with a fine coaching staff should make them competitive.

While improved L.C. and W.B. teams remain on Maryville's schedule, looking at district standings says this is the sternest test left in reg. season. Thought we looked flat Thursday and have yet to play typical Maryville offense.

How does this one play out?

Farragut has come a long way this year after losing so much talent and so many starters from last year. I would however stop short of giving koodos to the coaching staff. The team last year should have blown through the playoffs. They were outcoached by Maryville and it was a crying shame to see there talent leave empty handed. Unfortunately this year, the defense is a seive and with the loss of Johnson on both sides of the ball for the Maryville game it will get ugly quick unless they can contain Robinette. I pick Maryville by 20 unless the Farragut coaching staff can get creative. Don't forget, the refs at Maryville will stop any big play for the opponent!

Farragut has come a long way this year after losing so much talent and so many starters from last year. I would however stop short of giving koodos to the coaching staff. The team last year should have blown through the playoffs. They were outcoached by Maryville and it was a crying shame to see there talent leave empty handed. Unfortunately this year, the defense is a seive and with the loss of Johnson on both sides of the ball for the Maryville game it will get ugly quick unless they can contain Robinette. I pick Maryville by 20 unless the Farragut coaching staff can get creative. Don't forget, the refs at Maryville will stop any big play for the opponent!

What a joke , you've already started whining about the refs ..... last year was unbelievable how many Farragut posters blamed the refs , even though we played there . I really thought the Farragut fans would be Classy , guess I was wrong .

While its your perogative to stop short of commending the Admirals staff, I'll gladly stand by my comment. I think Cortney provides as steady a hand as any helmsman in Knox Co. They may have the best group of young assistants around as well. They're winners. They're former Rebels. Finally, Gerald Robinson is the best special teams coach in the state. The record books are filled with the names of kickers he coached while at Halls, and he's voluntarily groomed many others around E.T. who are playing on Saturdays. The staff has taken a lot of unproven players coached them up, assembled them well, and now have a noteworthy victory against Bearden and the "unstoppable" Devrin Young. No, I don't have any relatives coaching or playing for the Admirals. I do however appreciate a job well done.

I have to agree with Pepvol regarding your officiating comment. You don't really want to go there. Let's face it, officiating is probably going to be lackluster wherever you go. Our games at Oak Ridge and Bearden bordered on circus acts at times. It is what it is. By and large, Farragut had some great pieces last year, but they failed to execute in the clutch and some developed temper tantrum tendencies down the stretch.

While its your perogative to stop short of commending the Admirals staff, I'll gladly stand by my comment. I think Cortney provides as steady a hand as any helmsman in Knox Co. They may have the best group of young assistants around as well. They're winners. They're former Rebels. Finally, Gerald Robinson is the best special teams coach in the state. The record books are filled with the names of kickers he coached while at Halls, and he's voluntarily groomed many others around E.T. who are playing on Saturdays. The staff has taken a lot of unproven players coached them up, assembled them well, and now have a noteworthy victory against Bearden and the "unstoppable" Devrin Young. No, I don't have any relatives coaching or playing for the Admirals. I do however appreciate a job well done.

I have to agree with Pepvol regarding your officiating comment. You don't really want to go there. Let's face it, officiating is probably going to be lackluster wherever you go. Our games at Oak Ridge and Bearden bordered on circus acts at times. It is what it is. By and large, Farragut had some great pieces last year, but they failed to execute in the clutch and some developed temper tantrum tendencies down the stretch.

JMO it's not everyday that you see a team that blew another team out complain about the refs.. Would you say that most Maryville fans feel this way? Would you say that Coach Quarles feels this way as well?