moving games to thursday

jmu031

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by jmu031:

That has to be one the worst ideas i've ever hered. It's football, just because it's suppose to rain doesnt mean you need to move your game to avoid it. You tear the field up, oh well. You get a cold, oh well. Its football, live with it.

Normally, I'd agree, but... SCHS is having homecoming and no one wants the ceremonies and the overpriced dresses the queen and court wears to get ruined. homecoming is as big a part of high school football as the games themselves. In addition, moeny from the gate is vital to a program, especially a school that only has four home games this year.

This rediculous that games are moved up for the rain. I cant understand this. The only reason you postpone a game is for lighting. You never move a game up b/c of rain. So people dont come (Who cares?????). The real fans will show up. Also I played numerous games in rain and sleet, we never postponed or moved up a game. When i was a senior we played in a monsoon in Huntingdon in the semifinals. As for the homecoming statement, I cant see moving the game for that either. I think it was 2 weeks ago when it rained some schools help thier homecoming ceramonies in thier gym. Why not do the same????

Posted by jmu031:

That has to be one the worst ideas i've ever hered. It's football, just because it's suppose to rain doesnt mean you need to move your game to avoid it. You tear the field up, oh well. You get a cold, oh well. Its football, live with it.

Friendship Game moved to Thursday Night. :rolleyes:

Posted by jmu031:

Fields can be expensive to repair though, you know? And since many teams have already played in heavy rains on their field, they may not be able to withstand another event like that. Just my thought...although I like it played in the rain, too.

Posted by popeyethesailor:

I'm waiting on someone to play the game in the gym out here. Nerf balls. Our bunch really got a problem with wet.

The safety of the fans, players, and coaching staff is more important than tradition or playing in the rain. This is a category 4 or 5 storm coming in here on Friday and we shouldn't take a chance on someone getting hurt just to prove we can play in the rain. Most schools who have played home games these past two weeks have been hurt financially through limited tickets sales and your high school football teams are funded (70-90%) through gate ticket sales! These decisions are not made lightly and everything is considered before a game is moved.

Posted by UTMPlyr31:

This rediculous that games are moved up for the rain. I cant understand this. The only reason you postpone a game is for lighting. You never move a game up b/c of rain. So people dont come (Who cares?????). The real fans will show up. Also I played numerous games in rain and sleet, we never postponed or moved up a game. When i was a senior we played in a monsoon in Huntingdon in the semifinals. As for the homecoming statement, I cant see moving the game for that either. I think it was 2 weeks ago when it rained some schools help thier homecoming ceramonies in thier gym. Why not do the same????

ok this statement is coming from a guy whos coaches made Westview move theyre game to Sat 2 weeks ago b/c they didnt want them tearing up the field

ok this statement is coming from a guy whos coaches made Westview move theyre game to Sat 2 weeks ago b/c they didnt want them tearing up the filed

[Edited by chargerman4 on 10-2-02 6:47P]

[Edited by chargerman4 on 10-2-02 6:48P]

Gate receipts are a legitimate excuse for moving games up.

So is potential damage to the field. However....

The great myth is that players are more at risk for injury if it rains. Actually, unless lightning is involved, there is less injury risk in the rain. The heavier the downpour, the safer it is. Players are slowed down, the field is softer, and plants and cuts are minimized (less pressure on joints). Trust me.

Guest BHS37075

Games shouldnt be moved to Thursday just because of rain. LIke people said the only way a game should be cancelled is b/c of lightning. And for the homecoming activities, i know that beech had their homecoming in the pouring down rain. The attendants just stood out there with umbrellas and just dealt with it. Yeah they lost money but the true fans were there and it was definitely a night to remember.

Posted by oldchsman:
Posted by jmu031:

Normally, I'd agree, but... SCHS is having homecoming and no one wants the ceremonies and the overpriced dresses the queen and court wears to get ruined. homecoming is as big a part of high school football as the games themselves. In addition, moeny from the gate is vital to a program, especially a school that only has four home games this year.

you've gotta stand a little rain!! I believe teams rescheduling due to rain are off their rocker. It means less gate, safety for others--fans, players, coaches, and sloppy conditions. Most fans that are going to games are going to use umbrellas or ponchos and be there, safety shouldn't be an issue, and so what if there a few fumbles--can make some games real interesting!!

Whatever happened to the good ole days--just in the past year or two--teams have started proteecting their SUPERSTARS by postponing contests due to a threat of weather--what a crock!!

I never, once in my life, had a game postponed by the rain. Even once I played a game in week 9 in a driving, cold rain storm. WE won that game 3-0. As for other games in the rain, I wasn't always on the winning side, but...we played!! As for the fans, they will come.

I saw the other day where someone asked who a TRUE fan was--one that comes no matter what--rain or losing. Despite the disaster on the hill a few weeks ago between UT-FLA, 105,000+ fans braved the rain, so....

I say let'em play, fans or not, sloppy conditions or drained, the game of football is meant to be played in all conditions except for LIGHTING--that is why there are delays. I've been out the past two weeks in the rain, HS and college. This week will be no different in that I will either be at the Alcoa-OS or Anderson Co-Kingston Friday night and at the UT-Ark game Saturday--RAIN or SHINE!!

I just talked to my brother-in-law who plays football. His comment about not playing in the rain and rescheduling games, "What a bunch of pansies, are they afraid of getting wet or what?"

TheAnswer has spoken.