Best High School Program in the last 20 years?

volstud01

Wow, how refreshing I did not expect to see riverdale as much as I did but I have to show respect to everyone because these are some amazing teams y'all have brought up. I use to be on here everyday when I attended riverdale High school for all 4 years graduating in 06. I was their when Rankin was and all those trips to the state championships (win and lose). I will say it was an amazing experience I absolutely was my schools biggest fan and I'm a very competitive person! The few times we lost it broke my heart! Haha

It killed me seeing them struggle the past few years and not being the consistently winning team I had expected from them, though I no longer attend riverdale I will always be a warrior!

Now back to y'all, back when I was going to the school I would of stayed up all night letting any riverdale "hater" (if that's what u want to call it) on here know Riverdale was the real deal!!

However, these school y'all are bringing up deserve much credit and I think everyone has their fair share of success over the past 20 years. I dream of seeing riverdale in another championship game but I believe that's a long time coming. These teams on the other hand are still pulling it out today and even though the season has just begun I believe you will be seeing more of those other teams name in the future!! Y'all all have brought valid points why each one of those teams deserve the recognition!

High school football is so amazing! :)

One thing I would have to add to this discussion that should be considered is district and opponent strength. I'm by no means a fan of Riverdale but particularly in the last 10 years their district 7 has produced 5 State Champions in the past 10 years not counting additional runner-up appearances in the championship game. 2 for Riverdale, 2 for Smyrna and 1 for Oakland. When you consider that and the fact that those 3 teams and of late contenders Blackman and Siegel have to play each other in the first two rounds of each postseason you have to put Riverdale up there with Alcoa and Maryville. It would be interesting to see the outcomes if those teams didn't have to face each other in the first rounds of the playoffs each year. This is not to knock any other districts but those are some pretty impressive statistics.

Edited by redkuda

Brentwood Academy based on it's play at the national level over this time period. Riverdale has been there as well. I'd love to see maryville and alcoa play more on the national level. However, Brentwood has the ability to recruit. So...... I'm going to say Maryville because they have done it in more than one class at the higher class level.

On a sidenote.... High School football in tennessee with the six classes is a joke. Our state is to small and there isn't enough quality football to have six classes.

But we know why ...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OH Trousdale, S. Pitt and a few others much respect but overall in all divisions not apples to apples.

Just ask yourself who do you not want to play in the playoffs regardless of 1-6A and make a list of the top 5 teams, do it for 20 years and all 20 will have one name RIVERDALE.

P.S. I can't stand Riverdale but they have my respect over the years.

You're missing the point here. It's about the best programs. In your playoff rationale, you put all classes together. Obviously there is no way could we play with the R'dales, M'villes, and Alcoa's, but that wasn't point of the topic. Why not put it like this...in the current playoff system who would be at the top of the list in each class?

Btw, I can remember just a couple of years ago, R'dale would not have been in the top five you wouldn't want to face in the playoffs. And Cleveland? They had a very good 3-4 year run in the early to mid '90's. Yes they were dominate in that small window, but I don't see how that even gets them in the conversation. What have they done since? This is about continued success over a 20 year period.

Now I do agree with a lot of what you said in your original post, and I'm not really even trying to argue with you. I'm just a proud alum of Trousdale Co. that doesn't want our efforts and accomplishments to go overlooked by anybody, regardless of classification or division. During this past 20 years, we've done it in 1A, 2A, and made two 3A semi-finals in the four years we played at that level. Our numbers speak for themselves and that's why we have to be, at the very least, in the conversation.

Very well said seven. I was looking at all classes not each class, basically looking at the overall picture. If i had broken it down into classes then Trousdale would definantly be at the top. About Cleveland, until they came up with classifications in 6 classes they always played AAA the highest level and probably had the least amount of students of any school who played AAA back in the day. When Bennie Monroe and Tipton was coaching there you did not want to face them on the road to the championship and that time span was more than the early to mid 90's. However it may somewhat precede the last 20 years, but when the coaches left so did the discipline and that is when Cleveland dropped from dominate to above average. That was my point with Riverdale over these 20 years is that loss of coaching, new schools, toughest region, nothing has seemed to phase them, although some years have been better than others overall they have been in the mix year in and year out. What Marryville and Alcoa have right now is what Cleveland and Riverdale had in the 90's. The difference will be if Rankin and Quarles both stay, then ESPN will be following them around in 10 years just like they did HOOVER, ALABAMA. Mark my words if Price stays at Signal Mountain they will be the force for the next 20 years. They have kids coming across state lines just to play there, HORSES not just players. They are sitting pretty, if you are a big time player in CHATT. it seems that this is where they want to play. I am scratching my head and disappointed that they would not play Alcoa because that is a series that needs to be year in and year out.

Very well said seven. I was looking at all classes not each class, basically looking at the overall picture. If i had broken it down into classes then Trousdale would definantly be at the top. About Cleveland, until they came up with classifications in 6 classes they always played AAA the highest level and probably had the least amount of students of any school who played AAA back in the day. When Bennie Monroe and Tipton was coaching there you did not want to face them on the road to the championship and that time span was more than the early to mid 90's. However it may somewhat precede the last 20 years, but when the coaches left so did the discipline and that is when Cleveland dropped from dominate to above average. That was my point with Riverdale over these 20 years is that loss of coaching, new schools, toughest region, nothing has seemed to phase them, although some years have been better than others overall they have been in the mix year in and year out. What Marryville and Alcoa have right now is what Cleveland and Riverdale had in the 90's. The difference will be if Rankin and Quarles both stay, then ESPN will be following them around in 10 years just like they did HOOVER, ALABAMA. Mark my words if Price stays at Signal Mountain they will be the force for the next 20 years. They have kids coming across state lines just to play there, HORSES not just players. They are sitting pretty, if you are a big time player in CHATT. it seems that this is where they want to play. I am scratching my head and disappointed that they would not play Alcoa because that is a series that needs to be year in and year out.

I would have to agree, Signal Mountain and Alcoa would be an interesting rivalry I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

State Championship VICTORIES over the last 20 years :thumb:

Maryville: 9

Alcoa: 8

Trousdale County: 7

Montgomery Bell Academy: 6

BGA: 5

MUS: 4

Marion County: 4

Riverdale: 4

Brentwood Academy: 4

Knoxville Webb: 4

Fulton: 3

Goodpasture: 3

David Lipscomb: 3

ECS: 3

Cleveland: 3

South Pittsburg: 3

Bishop Byrne: 3

Davidson Academy: 3

CPA: 2

DCA: 2

Hillsboro: 2

Lincoln County: 2

Milan: 2

Melrose: 2

Pearl-Cohn: 2

Oakland: 2

Smyrna: 2

THIS LIST OF 25+ TEAMS IS WHAT COMES TO MIND RIGHT AWAY!

South Pitt has 4.. 94,99,07,and last season

All quite true, plus these wins were in three classes as well. 1A, 2A, & 3A. Not many can add that

to their resume'.

Only one team in any class has played for one of those gold balls in every decade since there have been those Gold balls. :roflol: And only 6 of those Gold balls were since 1990 following 1 Gold A in 1990.. :mrgreen: 1 gold and 3 Silver balls were collected in AA in the 70s. I guess you guys were on Vacation in the 80s.

Edited by rlh

These are the winningest Playoff teams in all classifications

Playoff records from 1969:

Teams with more than 50 playoff wins

Brentwood Academy: 89-26 (55 different teams)

Maryville: 88-20 (59 different teams)

Alcoa: 78-12 (37 different teams)

Trousdale County: 70-22 (54 different teams)

Milan 67-31 (49 different teams)

South Pittsburg: 59-23 (39 different teams)

Goodpasture: 59-24 (43 different teams)

Oak Ridge: 59-25 (37 different teams)

Riverdale: 58-21 (38 different teams)

David Lipscomb: 54-18 (40 different teams)

German Town: 52-23 (37 different teams)

Just missed the 50 mark:

Gallatin 47-30

Melrose 47-23

Austin East 45-21

White House 45-28

Marion County 44-26

MUS 40-22