Best High School Program in the last 20 years?

volstud01

you need to go back and crunch those numbers again. :thumb:

I take nothing away from Trousdale Co but Riverdale had multiple Nationally Ranked teams and played in the highest class in Tennessee football. Maryville dominated the second highest class (currently in the highest now and still winning) and Alcoa has made 2A and 3A football their bizsnitch. Trousdale did most, if not all, their damage in 1A football. They were good no doubt but move them to 2A/3A with Alcoa or 4A with Maryville and we have a different story.

I take nothing away from Trousdale Co but Riverdale had multiple Nationally Ranked teams and played in the highest class in Tennessee football. Maryville dominated the second highest class (currently in the highest now and still winning) and Alcoa has made 2A and 3A football their bizsnitch. Trousdale did most, if not all, their damage in 1A football. They were good no doubt but move them to 2A/3A with Alcoa or 4A with Maryville and we have a different story.

You made a valid point by including size classification,and for me I'd spin it a little differently.In my opinion the smaller programs with the higher winning percentages are more eye-opening because they're playing much larger schools in some of those games.The larger schools are not at a disadvantage for playing each other,but when one of the "little guys"(even a South Pitt or Trousdale)knocks off a 4A or 5A school,now that's impressive!

SP is in there for good. i mean we are like the 4th smallest school in the state and not alot of people know about us but since we are the only team in the state to go to the state championship every decade is a A+ in my book

The Goat sez: I agree with ya 100% but, the 60 losses(including 5 losing seasons) do not help your cause any. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

I think Hillsboro deserves at least to be mentioned. They had a pretty good run in the early 2000's. Didnt they beat Maryville in a state title game? Also just out of curiousity who ended Maryville's streak and how many games has Alcoa won in a row. My personal opinion is if you base it on twenty years Riverdale is the public winner and BA is the private winner. People forget quickly how dominant Riverdale used to be in football. Also BA I believe is one of the few teams to play teams out of state. They played a team from Alaska and Trinity led by former Louisville great Brain Brohm.

Also BA I believe is one of the few teams to play teams out of state. They played a team from Alaska and Trinity led by former Louisville great Brain Brohm.

MBA was the program that played Trinity/Brohm (2003, as well as 2004-2006 without Brohm). With that said, Trinity is currently slated to play both MBA and Brentwood Academy in 2011.

Edited by rollredroll

• 4 months later...

Add Smyrna above Oakridge. Smyrna - 2 (2Championships, 0 runner ups)

your numbers were wrong on Milan...you said 5 SC appearances with 2 gold balls and 3 silver....actually it's 7 SC appearances with 4 gold balls ('71 '77 '98 '99) and 3 silvers ('93 '08 '09)