Chattanooga team Fakes Punt up big?

Haymaker

Heard that a team in Chattanooga faked a punt up 33-7 ... that's four scores (3 TD's + 2 pt conversions and then another score)! Curious what folks think about that ... It was late 3rd Quarter. Traditional power routing a new school ... is this the way things are now in high school? Trying to impress BCS voters? Or am I just too old-fashioned and need to realize that it is the losing team's job to stop the fake punt?

Heard that a team in Chattanooga faked a punt up 33-7 ... that's four scores (3 TD's + 2 pt conversions and then another score)! Curious what folks think about that ... It was late 3rd Quarter. Traditional power routing a new school ... is this the way things are now in high school? Trying to impress BCS voters? Or am I just too old-fashioned and need to realize that it is the losing team's job to stop the fake punt?

Heard an old college coach say its my job to score its the other coach's job to stop me

Yep... it is true. I know for myself and everyone sitting around me thought what a Classless act. It is a shame because his team played a great game. We were even impressed with the circle prayer before the game with both teams fans. I think this coach might have benefited from joining in the prayer and demonstrating good sportsmanship. Our team was without several of our top players including our top running back and we lost our starting QB in the first half.

I believe there was only a little over a minute left in the third quarter when it happened.

Edited by EHgreen

:angry: There's no word acceptable in a public forum to describe how vile an act this is in my eyes.Running the score up on a hapless team is an act of pure meanness and shows a compleate lack of regard for the feelings of a bunch of kids.To run a TRICK PLAY in order to do so only serves to magnify the the feelings of disgust and retaliation felt by the team and it's fans,and nothing good comes of it.I think after that rant that I should clarify my position, I am not in favor of diminishing the efforts of the players,just put in the third string,run a vanilla offensive scheme,and if the score gets lopsided...well so be it.Scotts Hill(my hometown team)lost to an awesome Perry County team 50 to 0,was I mad,absoutley not.The P.C. coaches subbed before the half,ran the ball,and the players were respectful,though they still played hard.You do not earn respect by walloping weak teams,rather by exibiting character,and the aforementioned act only exposes a lack of it.As for the "coaches job" comment, I'll counter with a comment from a REAL high school coach. The late,great Jim Stowe used to say that "his job was molding men".Haymaker,if you're "too old fashioned"...well I'm proud to say that I am too! :thumb:

• Upvote 1

Heard an old college coach say its my job to score its the other coach's job to stop me

Did the college coach mean that it was a COLLEGE COACH'S job to stop it? Cause these on the short end of this score certainly weren't college players ... just a bunch of young players (again, new school with lots of Sophomores on the field) trying to compete.

From my understanding it was a different coach than normal calling in the play for the punt and the up back was to get the signal and call the play but he confused the play that was being called, which was supposed to be a punt, and called a fake punt instead. These things can happen like someone said earlier these are not college players, it was a younger player that made the mistake not the coach. I know it appeared different from the stands and the visitor's sideline but this IS what happened.

...I've read all of the posts and most are subjective about the play that was called...with that said, I'll leave it alone!!!