Ripley @ Obion Central

Kinda like last season for the Rebels who must win to assure themselves of playing in the playoffs the first Friday in November. Could possibly still make it in with a loss but who knows with this new freaky, playoff format. Ripley will be a much better team than the one the Rebels knocked off last year in Week 10. The Tigers have more of an open offense, mix the run with the pass well and are really solid defensively, only allowing around 17 points per game :shock:

Ripley is 7-2 with a 4-1 district mark and could be an automatic qualifier with a win and others to lose, The Rebs at 4-5(2-3) could easily be 4-1 in the district but losing two close games to Covington (35-30) and Crockett Co.(22-16) which could've turned the season around. Ironically, Ripley defeated those two teams so the Tigers could have the leg up as far as winning close games. :unsure:

The Rebels have their main runningback dinged up as LaDevin Fair, who has over 1,000 all purpose yards this season- left last week's game with injury. He makes a differnece on their offense and allows QB Trey Phipps a safety valvue on pass plays. Phipps has over 2,000 passing yards this season and has completed 62% of his passes. This game comes down to most of the Rebels game this season: Can OC stop or contain the running game and can Ripley handle the Rebs passing attack. Whoever does better and can limit turnovers will probably emerge victorious

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing both teams, I believe ripley is a little better and a little more athletic. Best thing for oc to do would play cover 3 all night. Ripley throws the ball deep on the majority of the plays. I hope oc wins this game, but it will have to be mistake free. Fair will have to have a good game rushing in order to keep ripley dbs from expecting the pass every play. Redbirdfan, is it you or vorebs that does radio for oc?

OC wins in a big way over the #10 ranked Ripley Tigers 44-15. LaDevin Fair carried the ball 28 times for 247 yards and 2 TD's. Trey Phipps was 16-25 for 196 yards and 3 TD's with 1 INT. Ripley led 15-7 with a little over five minutes left in the second quarter. From that point on OC outscored them 37-0. Very impressive all around effort for the Rebels. Fair did go over the 1000 yard mark for the season. Congratulations to him. That makes back to back years with a 1000 yard back for OC. I don't know how many teams have a 2000 yard passer at QB and a 1000 yard running back but I don't imagine it's too many.

Great Job tonight Rebels. Your playoff bound now and now time for everyone to come together and pull for our locals. Great year..you heading in the right direction. I KNOW there are many teams who sure do wish Obion County stays out of their side of the bracket. The Rebels...just imagine....your 4 games away from the state championship game....IT CAN BE DONE!! Good luck

The Rebels started out slow against the 10th ranked Tigers but boy did they finish strong...After spotting Ripley a 15-7 lead Obion Central ran off, and I do mean ran off, 37 straight points to beat the Tigers 44-15...

As has been stated, Trey Phipps had close to 200 yards passing, Shawn Weaks had his best all around game of the season with 6 receptions for 98 yards and 1 TD and several pad rattling blocks and LaDevin Fair looked like Reggie Bush at times rushing for 247 yards..The O-line did their job and what about the Rebel defense ??....They held Ripley to under 200 total yards on the night...

Jaquis Williams found out some good news this week as he was offered a scholarship to play in Laramie, Wyoming for the Wyoming Cowboys...

Obion Central after a frustrating start has closed on a 4-2 run...The offense is clicking right now and will be a nigtmare for someone to prepare for next week...

Congrats to the 19 Rebel seniors...What a way to end the home part of the regular season....

To LU the Eagle...Yes...You are correct about Hill's two years at OC...I completely forgot his 5-6 first year where the Rebs lost to Ridgeway 35-0 in Rd 1...It's easy to remember Hill's last season and the Kingsbury game and then Bowling's first year and the big win then the disappointing home 2 point loss to a Brighton team the Rebs had just beaten in Week 10 of that season 42-7 on the road...

Fair has 795 rushing yards. I would say for what the folks were saying at the beginning of the year, most thought he would be a 1000 plus rusher. He HAS to have over 100 yards with the passing game having over 200 in order to beat Ripley. The will be the best "tuned" team they have faced in a few weeks.

Fair had one game that was called at half then got hurt in the GC game in the first qtr...He showed last night what kind of back he is and the potential he has for next season...Stud is how I would describe him...

Ripley is team full of athletes but not at all very well coached...Reminded me of those Memphis teams that would roll into War Memorial Stadium back in the old days to play UC in the playoffs...

Ripley was, well, Ripley. Loaded with athletes. Execution and coaching was their downfall. They had 2 touchdown passes dropped on one series right before the half. They weren't the same the rest of the game. I think they would of had a better chance if they lined up tight and ran the ball. The Rebel defense was pretty stingy last night. I felt like the Ripley coach tried too many odd plays instead of just powering the ball. But, that is his style offense and he definately has the athletes to run it. They ran the option a few times with negative results. The jet sweep may have been more effective. The Rebels defense made adjustments to the Tigers offensive scheme and nade some great plays last night. In my opinion, the Rebels were much more physical last night. Big hits all over the field on both sides of the ball.

The Rebel offense looked pretty good. Phipps was a bit off early, but once the running game started working Trey got on target. The seam pass to Weaks looked very good. Good route and well thrown pass. I think the Rebel field goal to go ahead right before the half was huge. Great job by the offense to get within range and a great job by Ward on the kick. That along with the Ripley TD pass drop really seemed to get the Tigers down. OC made some timely stops and did not get down when Ripley made stops. All around good game for the Rebels. Congrats to all of them. Especially the offensive line, which did a great job of neutralizing the Tigers D-line. Ripley's noseguard is a big man, but he wasn't a factor last night.

As for Ripley, they have the potential to wreak havoc on any team that isn't prepared for their offense, and their defense is good. I can see where they are a problem for teams that rely on speed runs, as Ripley can run with anybody. They've had a great season and may make a deep run in the playoffs.

Looks to me like OC will be a 5 seed with the possibility of a 4 seed depending on the Friday night games. Either way, my guess in looking at the standings is they will most likely face off with Montgomery Central either way. If records mean anything, looks like Montgomery Central will finish as #4 seed and host. If they lose, that could reverse with OC. However, if Montgomery wins and Greenbriar loses, then OC would likely face Greenbrier instead. Regardless, great job Rebels in locking down a playoff berth and not leaving it up to chance. GO REBELS!!!!

Edited by justaOCfan