District 11A

thenomad

With basketball starting up in a few weeks, I was thinking no one has starting any predictions.

Who ya got this season?

Who's the pre-season #1?

Who's the pre-season MVP?

1) Cornersville

2) CA

3) Richland

4) Santa Fe

5) Mt. Pleasant

6) Culleoka

7) Hampshire

Cornerville returns quite a few from the Championship team last season, as well as the State team two years ago. Watch for Fagan or Hopkins to take home MVP.

I will have to say.....

1. Cornersville.....Very good team, coach, and much recent success. They should stay on top of this district.

2. CA Beneficiary of playing in a somewhat of a weak district compared to there surrounding districts.

3. Sante Fe always tough at home and that doesn't change this year.

4. Richland New coach a little more talent and tradition than the rest below them.

5. Culleoka Much improved and if they can flush the past failures then they have a chance to slip into the top 4.

6. Hampshire not alot of talent but current coach seems to have them headed in the right direction.

7. Mt. Pleasant always has a few athletes but not much emphasis put on girls basketball.

Just my opinion and good luck to all!

District 11A

1. Cornersville - The Lady Bulldogs are a little down from year's past after graduating three starters in Nelms (5-year starter and 2,000 point scorer), Wheeler, and Cook. They do return 5-11 F Haley Fagan and 5-8 PG Makenzie Hopkins, both of whom will shoulder most of the offensive load this season. The problem with that is that I saw little improvement in Fagan from her Sophomore to her Junior season last year (which could probably be attributed to her focus on softball) and Hopkins has never been a main scoring option (though she has always been capable). However, they both have the athletic ability and necessary skill set to overmatch any of their opponents in 11A. There isn't much surrounding these two in terms of notable players, but in this district a couple of high quality players like Fagan and Hopkins is all it really takes to get to the top. They will be down from the last couple of years, but they will still be good enough to take the top spot in 11A.

2. Santa Fe - The Lady Cats graduated do-it-all G/F Bobbi Dodson who is now at Martin Methodist. However, they return just about everyone else, including their anchor in the middle in 6-0 C Jensen White. White has already shown some improvement from last season though her mobility and ability to score over post players her own size are still major question marks. Luckily for her (and her team), few teams in 11A have anyone that can handle her size and frame. Her presence inside should force opposing teams to key in on her leaving Santa Fe's other returning guards a look at outside shots that they must knock down this year. Hemphill, Warf, and Thompson will all have to be consistent from the outside for Santa Fe to be successful. If they stand any chance of taking down Cornersville, they will have to find another inside threat to replace the one they lost to transfer as well as a capable point guard that can handle the full court pressure (which Dodson did for them last season when needed). If they can get those things in place, then the Lady Cats should at least finish 2nd, and might even give Cornersville a run for their money.

3. Columbia Academy - The Lady Bulldogs lost their leading scorer in Lacey Hayes, as well as two other seniors who were significant contributors in Emily Crane and Emily Holmes. However, the young ones that were suppose to bring Columbia Academy back to the top are now moving on up to upperclassmen themselves, and if there ever was a year to really make a push for the top, this is it. CA will return a solid all-around player in Sophomore Merrianne Patterson, who I fully expect will be the team's main go-to player. Also capable of providing some offense for the Lady Bulldogs is Junior G Morgan Thomasson and Junior G/F Hanna Earl. If CA can find some type of inside play (an improved Hargrove perhaps) to counteract the inside play of Fagan (Cornersville) and White (Santa Fe), then Columbia Academy might just finish in the top two. However, without a dependable inside game, I don't see how they can take down either of the teams above them.

4. Richland - The Lady Raiders faithful endured what was a extremely long and disappointing season last year. The head coach from that team is gone, and this once youthful and inexperienced bunch, should have matured and developed over the past year. Richland will rely heavily on their guard play as they have little size inside. Senior W/F Kim Lovell will probably be relied on to play some inside, which is a major conflict for her coach considering her outside shooting ability can really break open a game if team's do not close out on her. Returning with Lovell this season is a group of decent guards in Lee, Holley, and Summers, all of whom will need to do more on both ends of the floor this season than last. Lastly, Kim Lovell's twin, Ashley, will probably be relied on even more heavily to play multiple positions because of her versatility, though she is not quite as skilled as her sister. While Richland returns all but one player from last season, they just don't appear to have the speed, depth, or size to really challenge the three above them on a nightly basis.

5. Mt. Pleasant - I believe the Lady Tigers lost the Frierson girls to Columbia Central, and I was told that other guards who played some minutes last year have not returned. While Mt. Pleasant showed improvement last season, I don't know if they have enough fundamental players to really challenge any of the top four. Look for Emily McNeece and Tiara Hughes to provide most of the offense (though it won't be much). With the Frierson girls, they would probably have little trouble finishing 5th, but if they are gone, then both Culleoka, and even possibly Hampshire, could beat them.

6. Culleoka - The Lady Warriors are very young with only one returning Senior in Kayla Kizer. Their youthfulness may not be the biggest obstacle this season, however, as a couple of freshmen, especially Hayley Foster, could provide some much needed offense for this struggling team. If Cully's coach can find a way to mix some of the younger girls (who have potential) with some of his older girls, without causing an uproar with both the players and parents, then Culleoka might just be able to fight their way up into that fifth spot. However, I don't see them challenging any of the top four teams, at least not this year anyways.

7. Hampshire - The Lady Hawks graduated their top three scorers from last season, and really don't return much offense. This team has no experience, little size, and no depth, which is not a combination for winning basketball teams. With Booker, Boyd, and Baker all gone, the Hawks will need more players to step up in a hurry (possibly Clyde and Kennedy). If not, Hampshire could very well be looking at only a one or two win season and a last place finish in 11A.

As for MVP, Fagan is most definitely the favorite, especially since you will see her be more of the go-to player this year for Cornersville with the departure of Nelms. Hopkins would be a distant second, while White at Santa Fe will probably also have her name in the mix by the end of the year.

Edited by ptguard12
  • Upvote 1

ptguard12, do you think the coaching change at Culleoka was necessary? I have watched these kids play for numerous years. Don't you think any person with any basketball sense would keep and play these girls. I have a hard time thinking that bringing the middle school coach up to high school is going to bump this team up to the top 5. The players have to want to be good to be good. It's the same thing with Hampshire and Mt. Pleasant. The mentality is from the girls not the coaches.

Edited by thenomad

ptguard12, do you think the coaching change at Culleoka was necessary? I have watched these kids play for numerous years. Don't you think any person with any basketball sense would keep and play these girls. I have a hard time thinking that bringing the middle school coach up to high school is going to bump this team up to the top 5. The players have to want to be good to be good. It's the same thing with Hampshire and Mt. Pleasant. The mentality is from the girls not the coaches.

The coaching change was necessary. Things went south for Miller in a hurry. The girls didn't respect him. He was more of a friend than a coach. Something had to be done. The group of girls that are there now have an amazing amount of potental. Hayley Foster, Logan Scott and Allison Clark will be in the conversation with Nelms, Fagen and Hopkins when they are juniors and seniors. They have the work effort and drive to get to that level. Not to mention that they absolutely hate to lose, something girls at Culleoka don't mind as much as they should. They will be better this year and alot better next year. After that, look out. Coach Sharp realized this potentional and I believe thats why he took the job. Just because Miller couldn't win, doesn't mean Sharp can't....

District 11A

1. Cornersville - The Lady Bulldogs are a little down from year's past after graduating three starters in Nelms (5-year starter and 2,000 point scorer), Wheeler, and Cook. They do return 5-11 F Haley Fagan and 5-8 PG Makenzie Hopkins, both of whom will shoulder most of the offensive load this season. The problem with that is that I saw little improvement in Fagan from her Sophomore to her Junior season last year (which could probably be attributed to her focus on softball) and Hopkins has never been a main scoring option (though she has always been capable). However, they both have the athletic ability and necessary skill set to overmatch any of their opponents in 11A. There isn't much surrounding these two in terms of notable players, but in this district a couple of high quality players like Fagan and Hopkins is all it really takes to get to the top. They will be down from the last couple of years, but they will still be good enough to take the top spot in 11A.

2. Santa Fe - The Lady Cats graduated do-it-all G/F Bobbi Dodson who is now at Martin Methodist. However, they return just about everyone else, including their anchor in the middle in 6-0 C Jensen White. White has already shown some improvement from last season though her mobility and ability to score over post players her own size are still major question marks. Luckily for her (and her team), few teams in 11A have anyone that can handle her size and frame. Her presence inside should force opposing teams to key in on her leaving Santa Fe's other returning guards a look at outside shots that they must knock down this year. Hemphill, Warf, and Thompson will all have to be consistent from the outside for Santa Fe to be successful. If they stand any chance of taking down Cornersville, they will have to find another inside threat to replace the one they lost to transfer as well as a capable point guard that can handle the full court pressure (which Dodson did for them last season when needed). If they can get those things in place, then the Lady Cats should at least finish 2nd, and might even give Cornersville a run for their money.

3. Columbia Academy - The Lady Bulldogs lost their leading scorer in Lacey Hayes, as well as two other seniors who were significant contributors in Emily Crane and Emily Holmes. However, the young ones that were suppose to bring Columbia Academy back to the top are now moving on up to upperclassmen themselves, and if there ever was a year to really make a push for the top, this is it. CA will return a solid all-around player in Sophomore Merrianne Patterson, who I fully expect will be the team's main go-to player. Also capable of providing some offense for the Lady Bulldogs is Junior G Morgan Thomasson and Junior G/F Hanna Earl. If CA can find some type of inside play (an improved Hargrove perhaps) to counteract the inside play of Fagan (Cornersville) and White (Santa Fe), then Columbia Academy might just finish in the top two. However, without a dependable inside game, I don't see how they can take down either of the teams above them.

4. Richland - The Lady Raiders faithful endured what was a extremely long and disappointing season last year. The head coach from that team is gone, and this once youthful and inexperienced bunch, should have matured and developed over the past year. Richland will rely heavily on their guard play as they have little size inside. Senior W/F Kim Lovell will probably be relied on to play some inside, which is a major conflict for her coach considering her outside shooting ability can really break open a game if team's do not close out on her. Returning with Lovell this season is a group of decent guards in Lee, Holley, and Summers, all of whom will need to do more on both ends of the floor this season than last. Lastly, Kim Lovell's twin, Ashley, will probably be relied on even more heavily to play multiple positions because of her versatility, though she is not quite as skilled as her sister. While Richland returns all but one player from last season, they just don't appear to have the speed, depth, or size to really challenge the three above them on a nightly basis.

5. Mt. Pleasant - I believe the Lady Tigers lost the Frierson girls to Columbia Central, and I was told that other guards who played some minutes last year have not returned. While Mt. Pleasant showed improvement last season, I don't know if they have enough fundamental players to really challenge any of the top four. Look for Emily McNeece and Tiara Hughes to provide most of the offense (though it won't be much). With the Frierson girls, they would probably have little trouble finishing 5th, but if they are gone, then both Culleoka, and even possibly Hampshire, could beat them.

6. Culleoka - The Lady Warriors are very young with only one returning Senior in Kayla Kizer. Their youthfulness may not be the biggest obstacle this season, however, as a couple of freshmen, especially Hayley Foster, could provide some much needed offense for this struggling team. If Cully's coach can find a way to mix some of the younger girls (who have potential) with some of his older girls, without causing an uproar with both the players and parents, then Culleoka might just be able to fight their way up into that fifth spot. However, I don't see them challenging any of the top four teams, at least not this year anyways.

7. Hampshire - The Lady Hawks graduated their top three scorers from last season, and really don't return much offense. This team has no experience, little size, and no depth, which is not a combination for winning basketball teams. With Booker, Boyd, and Baker all gone, the Hawks will need more players to step up in a hurry (possibly Clyde and Kennedy). If not, Hampshire could very well be looking at only a one or two win season and a last place finish in 11A.

As for MVP, Fagan is most definitely the favorite, especially since you will see her be more of the go-to player this year for Cornersville with the departure of Nelms. Hopkins would be a distant second, while White at Santa Fe will probably also have her name in the mix by the end of the year.

Good Stuff! Only thing I would do is switch CA and Richland...also, who all is playing those tough teams from the other half of the region this year?

The coaching change was necessary. Things went south for Miller in a hurry. The girls didn't respect him. He was more of a friend than a coach. Something had to be done. The group of girls that are there now have an amazing amount of potental. Hayley Foster, Logan Scott and Allison Clark will be in the conversation with Nelms, Fagen and Hopkins when they are juniors and seniors. They have the work effort and drive to get to that level. Not to mention that they absolutely hate to lose, something girls at Culleoka don't mind as much as they should. They will be better this year and alot better next year. After that, look out. Coach Sharp realized this potentional and I believe thats why he took the job. Just because Miller couldn't win, doesn't mean Sharp can't....

I don't doubt that those girls could be great. But it wasn't too long ago that Culleoka had two 1000 point scorers and I think they won less than 10 in four years and only 1 their senior year. As for the respect, I'm not sure. But I know his first two years were the hardest working teams Culleoka has had in quite sometime. It started to dwindle when these younger players started up. I have heard from fairly reliable sources the new coach is close friends with parents of young players which probably didn't help Miller. I believe the respect from players starts with their parents respecting the coach and his/her decisions. Again this is hearsay, but from a usually spot on source.

Lets just face it, coaching changes happen all the time, and for whatever reasons(see boys 11A thread) the good thing is it could rejuvenate a struggling program and garner interest from girls that might have not played in the past. A new coach, new system, and new players could all contribute to Culleoka girls suprising the district this year. Does anyone know which camps teams are going to? or play days involving the district or region?

I think the teams from 11a will end up with:

1. Cornersville

2. SF

3. CA

4. Richland

5. Cully

6. MP

7. Hampshire

It probably won't matter for them who ends up where come region tournament time. I don't see 11a's top four teams beating any of 12a's top four, because all of those teams return the majority of their team from the year before--and they were all good last year. 12a is probably the strongest it has been in a long time. It will be one of the toughest districts in the state this year. But its a long season and there can be injuries, players quitting, transfers, ect., so something could change by the time february rolls around.

I think everyone so far has the same basic predictions for the district. I will add my personal opinion.

1. Cornersville--- The only tough games for the Lady Bulldogs will come from District 12A opponents. Haley Fagan is the real deal, and she has a talented, experienced, and tournament tested supporting cast. 12-0 in the district should be a given, #1 seed in district tournament, #1 coming out of the tournement into the regionals. Coach Landers does a great job year in and year out, and he will not break stride, even when he is replacing such a talent as Nelms.

2. Columbia Academy--- The other Lady Bulldogs will be improved this year as the experience that the returning group has garnered in the past couple of years begins to pay off. Coach Bingham will have this group dialed in this season, and only tough games should come at the hands of #1 Cornersville. Santa Fe might make it tight, but the experience of CA should hang on and finish 10-2 in the district.

3. Santa Fe--- The Lady Cats, after a great run last year, should dominate the bottom 4 again this year. Coach Brown did great things in his first season, and with White could exceed his win total from last season. Their depth could make their games with CA ver competitive, and everyone knows how hard Santa Fe plays at home. They could suprise CA at Santa Fe, but for now I will stick with CA in both games. Santa Fe finishes 8-4 in the district.

4. Richland--- The Lady Raiders look to overcome a disappointing season last year, and return one of the better scorers in the district in Kim Lovell. The team has underachieved for the past few seasons, and maybe the addition of new coach Fralix could improve chemistry and effort. In a season of transition, I cant see them cracking the top 3, but they should be far enough ahead of the bottom 3 to hold the 4 spot at 6-6, to host a lower seed, and probably advance to the regionals again.

5. Culleoka--- I honestly think that the change in coach, in this situation, will be visible immediately. Coach Sharp was successful at the junior high level, and will be coaching many of the same girls he has coached to many wins in the past. Kizer and Foster can play, and the young depth will be more than enough to beat the bottom 2. The future is definately brighter for the Lady Warriors, as their your will only get better for the next few years. I see Cully finishing 4-8 in the district, and playing Richland in the first round of the district tournament.

6. Mt. Pleasant--- The Lady Tigers typically have a number of athletes, but it rarely results in a number of wins. Coach Hughes will rely on the athleticism of speedy left-hander Hughes, and the outside shooting of McNeese. Aside from those two, I am not sure where the offense comes from. They have shown signs of improvement over the last couple of seasons, but that improvement hasnt shown up in the win column. They will beat Hampshire twice and finish 2-10.

7. Hampshire--- While the Lady Hawks overachieved last year, and played harder than any Hampshire team in recent memory, they will be replacing the only offensive threats that were available last season. Coach Fite is intense, and drives his team every night. I said last year after the game at CA, when the Lady Hawks went on a 19-2 run, that was the best I had ever seen Hampshire play. However, I dont see him getting a district win with this group. They are young, and no proven scorer in the bunch, finishing 0-12 in the district.

The countdown is on to tip-off. I am excited to see what happens. Good luck to all.

Go CA!!!!