6A playoff brackets

my2cents

"Randy"

Hiya Randy. I'm a White Station fan...thought I'd drop my opnion in here about the topic being discussed.

1st) last year WS beat the one team they had to beat, Brentwood. And yes, they barely got it done. I have NO doubt Brentwood would have won state had they gotten past us.

2nd)based on researching your clue of a 6A team at 8-2....there's been discussions locally about fans of that team taking offense to others no giving them respect due to relatively easy scheduling. So I don't doubt they turned down the offers. Personally, I think it would be great for West teams and Central teams to get some home-n-home agreements going. WS has seeked out the toughest opponents locally (based on past records/reputations) to be better prepared for playoff time. While it hurt our record this year, it also got a very young squad in shape to finish strong and they are in the playoffs. I can't say how deep we'll go, we have little depth, not much size. But i do believe we'll compete well.

3rd) that 3rd bracket IS tough! I think the state champ would likely come from that bracket. It's a rough road for anyone who can survive those matchups. On the plus side, whoever makes it will leave no doubt they deserve to be in the final.

This whole discussion, rant if you will, started from Randy and gang assuming that without a doubt they have, undeniably, the absolute best football teams in the state. Furthermore, that the whole playoff system needs to be revamped, because their teams are so good that all of them should win the title and they should not have to eliminate each other. I tried to use logic to point out this is opinion/ subjective..."crickets". Then was just attacked and given more, more fluff.

Last try:

In looking at last years' playoffs, Whitehaven lost 21-16 to Whitestation the week before beating Brentwood 31-27. Now looking at that result, I have to assume Whitehaven could have beaten Brentwood as well. So if I think like Randy, I should be proclaiming Whitehaven could have won the title as well, and that west Tn should not have to eliminate each other, because we are the best in the whole world. :rolleyes:

Edited by onefortheteam

As for a small history lesson, these are the former state champions in the last 20 years in the largest classification:

2009 White Station

2008 Oakland

2007 Smyrna

2006 Smyrna

2005 Ravenwood

2004 Riverdale

2003 Germantown

2002 Brentwood

2001 Riverdale

2000 Red Bank

1999 Sevier Cty

1998 Oakland

1997 Riverdale

1996 Brentwood Academy

1995 Brentwood Academy

1994 Riverdale

1993 Lincoln County

1992 Gallatin

1991 Oak Ridge

1990 Lincoln County

Geographically speaking, it breaks down to East Tennessee (3), Middle Tennessee (15), and West Tennessee (2)

Just in case some of the more recent posters needed an historical context in this discussion.

"Randy"

This whole discussion, rant if you will, started from Randy and gang assuming that without a doubt they have, undeniably, the absolute best football teams in the state. Furthermore, that the whole playoff system needs to be revamped, because their teams are so good that all of them should win the title and they should not have to eliminate each other. I tried to use logic to point out this is opinion/ subjective..."crickets". Then was just attacked and given more, more fluff.

Last try:

In looking at last years' playoffs, Whitehaven lost 21-16 to Whitestation the week before beating Brentwood 31-27. Now looking at that result, I have to assume Whitehaven could have beaten Brentwood as well. So if I think like Randy, I should be proclaiming Whitehaven could won the title as well, and that west Tn should not have to eliminate each other, because we are the best in the whole world. :rolleyes:

Hi onefortheteam,

Yep, I get your point. West Tn does have good teams. But I do believe the Central Tn does have a claim to being overall better area. They do have more championships. They do have more teams that play at a higher level than we do locally.(obviously, that's my opinion. I don't expect you to agree with that) Last year for example, I think WS and Whitehaven would have been able to play against the Central Tn teams, and would have proved to be very competitive with them. But I don't think we had any other 6A teams that would have done well. Yet I think they have 5-6 teams every year that could be in that upper level. This year, so far, it seems Whitehaven is the only top level 6A team in our area. WS is making a late run. But how good they are has yet to be roven on the field. Beating the likes of Hamilton, Central, etc, doesn't show much, even if you do win by a decent margin. The victory over Mitchell gave me an indication that WS is ready for the playoffs.

Millington, down this year. Collierville, middle of the road. G'town, doing normal for them, but not really looking like a state champ contender. Arlington needs to step up their scheduling to be taken seriously. Woodale is about like G'town.

Central has Smyrna, Brentwood, Oakland, Riverdale, and a couple of others (I don't care to research 'em all) that would run through most of our teams. Whitehaven could play with them, but who else? I really think other match-ups would result in those 32-13 kinda scores. Too bad Ridgeway isn't 6A, they'd be one more Memphis team that could make a run in this group.

Bottom line, I just feel Central area usually has 5-6 top level teams, and Memphis area usually has 2 of that level.

"Randymc and Spartanfan"

"2nd)based on researching your clue of a 6A team at 8-2....there's been discussions locally about fans of that team taking offense to others no giving them respect due to relatively easy scheduling. So I don't doubt they turned down the offers. Personally, I think it would be great for West teams and Central teams to get some home-n-home agreements going. WS has seeked out the toughest opponents locally (based on past records/reputations) to be better prepared for playoff time. While it hurt our record this year, it also got a very young squad in shape to finish strong and they are in the playoffs. I can't say how deep we'll go, we have little depth, not much size. But i do believe we'll compete well."

So you are saying Arlington? Assuming it is factual and may be, let's evaluate both of yours' statements.

1)Oakland, a strong program within the unbeatable, bestest district, wants to play a West Tn team to prove their greatness. So who do they pick? Whitehaven, Whitestation, Germantown, Ridgeway, Millington, CBHs, Briarcrest, MUS...no.. Arlington. The program that has played varsity football for 4 YEARS. Let's look at their record in those 4 years: 5-6, 1-9, 10-1, 8-2. No playoff wins. WHAT?........."CRICKETS"

2)Now lets address the schedule. If you are scheduling, you typically have 2 year agreements, right? LOOK BACK 2 YEARS AGO. What would you have done? So Arlington gets on a unexpected roll...I mean who would think a 1-9 team playing the SAME schedule the next year would go 10-0 in the regular season?

3) Respect..is earned. We haven't earned it, yet. Maybe we won't. Last year, just like this discussion, people would not even concede that Arlington had a chance in the last 4 games of the year. As they won each one of those games, "people" became bitter that this team turned it around. (Also some resent Arlington's team because it is a new school and they wanted one or the funds. Rooting against kids, because they go to a new school...nice touch.)Then the week before the playoffs, we get all these people screaming Wil Co. is unbeatable, they will destroy any team in West TN. So this has been going on for a while.

I do believe the middle has great football teams. I never said, not once, that they are not great teams. I did say and continue believe they are NOT unbeatable titans of football, that the west has great competition as well, that the polls are bias, and that the power rankings are a year behind and subjective. Unless teams play each other..how do you know for a FACT? You don't assume since so and so was great they are again THIS year. I mean that IS why we play the games...to get a result...a fact, right?

Your right Arlington is scared. :roflol: I mean, look at the beating they took 2 years ago..look at it. Do you two really believe that the staff is scared to get beat bad...really..laid up in the middle of night worried to death to lose a football game to a storied opponent??? It wasn't fear of getting beat, I don't know why it was, but fear makes no sense. Good luck to both of your teams.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Whitehaven lost to Melrose last year 27-6, so based on the "Undeniable Greatness Theory", I say they(a 5A school, I think) would have won the title in 6a as well.

Edited by onefortheteam

As for a small history lesson, these are the former state champions in the last 20 years in the largest classification:

2009 White Station

2008 Oakland

2007 Smyrna

2006 Smyrna

2005 Ravenwood

2004 Riverdale

2003 Germantown

2002 Brentwood

2001 Riverdale

2000 Red Bank

1999 Sevier Cty

1998 Oakland

1997 Riverdale

1996 Brentwood Academy

1995 Brentwood Academy

1994 Riverdale

1993 Lincoln County

1992 Gallatin

1991 Oak Ridge

1990 Lincoln County

Geographically speaking, it breaks down to East Tennessee (3), Middle Tennessee (15), and West Tennessee (2)

Just in case some of the more recent posters needed an historical context in this discussion.

So your saying....that the middle part of the state, who has 50% or more of the teams in the playoffs and 2 quads, have won more? IT is surprising that they have not won all of them. Every year they have 2 chances. East and West have to eliminate each other TO PLAY the middle 2 brackets. The middle is basically guarranteed a finalist every year.

Edited by onefortheteam

So your saying....that the middle part of the state, who has 50% or more of the teams in the playoffs and 2 quads, have won more? IT is surprising that they have not won all of them. Every year they have 2 chances. East and West have to eliminate each other TO PLAY the middle 2 brackets. The middle is basically guarranteed a finalist every year.

Really they should send the bottom 4 of each bracket to the next quad 1-2 and 3-4. But they won't, because it is too logical.

Edited by onefortheteam

I would say there are five teams in south central/southeast Tennessee, so it was decided that Quad 2 would be more of a southeast quad. Had to put Oak Ridge and Cookeville in there. Then looks like TSSAA picked Riverdale to go into 2 based on it being the southeastern-most school.

I'll agree that Lincoln Co is South of Blackman and Oakland, but by the TSSAA map they are farther west. Nobody will convince me that Lincoln Co fits "better" in quad 2 than quad 3. Childress said in Tennessean (http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/Nashville/article/Criticism-of-high-school-football-playoffs-remains/) that they took Riverdale into Quad 2 because they were closer to the other 7 schools than any other Rutherford Co Team. Did he do the same thing for Lincoln Co? No way. Lincoln Co High School is 135 miles from Cookeville, 27.3 miles from Franklin Co, 34.3 miles from Coffee Co, 94.7 miles from Bradley Co, 78.9 miles from Soddy-Daisy 207 miles from Oak Ridge and 51.8 miles from Riverdale. Total of 629 miles, now Oakland is 57.8 miles from Cookeville, 50.2 miles from Franklin Co, 33.3 miles from Coffee Co, 93.8 miles from Bradley Co, 79.7 miles from Soddy-Daisy, 157 miles from Oak Ridge and 6.9 miles from Riverdale for a total of 478.7 miles. Now Mr. Childress might say things like this in the Tennessean and not expect people like me to check his numbers, but I have. I am sure there MUST be some other explanation. Let's look at Lincoln Co's distance from the teams in Quad 3 excluding Oakland. 56.9 miles from Smyrna, 50.3 miles from Blackman, 84 miles from Overton, 85.8 miles from McGavock, 80.5 miles from Brentwood, 75 miles from Mt. Juliet and 63.6 miles from Franklin. For a total of 496.1 miles. So not only is the TSSAA map different from mine, so is their calculator. Some how in the office 629 < 478.7 and 629 < 496.1 Probably should have put that quote in the paper about picking RHS for that reason.

"Randy"

Last try:

In looking at last years' playoffs, Whitehaven lost 21-16 to Whitestation the week before beating Brentwood 31-27. Now looking at that result, I have to assume Whitehaven could have beaten Brentwood as well. So if I think like Randy, I should be proclaiming Whitehaven could have won the title as well, and that west Tn should not have to eliminate each other, because we are the best in the whole world. :rolleyes:

You have no logic. In no seeded tournament should the best teams have to knock off each other first, now you may differ about who you think they best teams are, but that's the WHOLE POINT OF SEEDING is to separate the best teams. That's what it's for. How would my logic claim Whitehaven could have won the title? BTW, did you know District 7AAA was ranked as one of the top 10 in the USA? Probably not, but I am sure you do not care.

Just pointing out history. Which you seem to not care for, unless it's the most recent champion....so just wait another month. Please go on the record, who is your team?

Really they should send the bottom 4 of each bracket to the next quad 1-2 and 3-4. But they won't, because it is too logical.

Quad 4 doesn't want Brentwood, Franklin, Overton and McGavock.....and really it should be 2, 4, 6, and 8 if you wanted it to be fair, but nobody in the TSSAA office wants the tournament to be fair, that's obvious

Maybe middle Tennessee has won so many championships because they've been able to play at home for so many years. If the BC Bowl were in Memphis or Johnson City every year the results might be a little different. Just a thought.

I hear what everyone is saying but the TSSAA cannot adopt a position that football in one region is superior to the others...they just can't do that, even if they believe it. They adopted a philosophy for quad alignment and have been pretty consistent since they started posting the potential quads. The only thing I saw that looked 'fishy' was the move of Maryville from quad 2 to quad 1. I never could figure out what changed from one week to the next on that one.

You have no logic. In no seeded tournament should the best teams have to knock off each other first, now you may differ about who you think they best teams are, but that's the WHOLE POINT OF SEEDING is to separate the best teams. That's what it's for. How would my logic claim Whitehaven could have won the title? BTW, did you know District 7AAA was ranked as one of the top 10 in the USA? Probably not, but I am sure you do not care.

You are not using logic, you use opinion. My analogy is right on, and at least has some results orientation. Your points are: we are better, because I say so and so does this reporter. Whatever, opinions vary, but they are NOT facts. Nor, for that matter, are polls or rankings.

Just pointing out history. Which you seem to not care for, unless it's the most recent champion....so just wait another month. Please go on the record, who is your team?

How did you address the OBVIOUS numerical disadvantage faced by the West and East. You need to study basic math. Past results statistically have no bearing on the odds. Each result is it's own. Don't argue about this, to be petty. Statistically middle TN has a huge advantage to place a finalist.

Quad 4 doesn't want Brentwood, Franklin, Overton and McGavock.....and really it should be 2, 4, 6, and 8 if you wanted it to be fair, but nobody in the TSSAA office wants the tournament to be fair, that's obvious

The obvious thing here is you use opinion to draw conclusions. You are not interested in fairness. Yeah, we know, we are scared to play yall, because you would, NO doubt, dominate every year, all the time, forever and ever. You are embarrassing yourself with these outlandish statements. Arrogance is always the highest before the big spiral death spin.

Edited by onefortheteam