Blount County Schools Football

PhoosballPhan

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another question I'm curious about. Have read about the success of this year's Fairview Midget team. Finally beat the Rebs (twice) for the first time in a long,long time. Is Fairview considered primarily a feeder program for WB? I know some of the program's teams use our facilities for practice.

Will WB get some, many, or most of these kids? And does it bother anyone else besides me that they wear "red and black"? Nothing personal to my Maryville friends, but it bugs me a little to see youth teams practicing on Friday nights on our campus, as fans are arriving at Governor games, wearing Maryville's colors.

I'm not saying they have to wear orange and blue ... but I could accept the old black and silver alot better than red and black.

Maybe it's just me, and if that is so, I'll say no more. :flower:

GOVMAN

Fairview Raiders midget program IS NOT a sole WB feeder program. It feeds all county and city school systems. For quite some time now, 50% of our kids are MIS or John Sevier students. The remainder is split among Alcoa, Heritage and William Blount feeder Schools. As for the colors, when you start suporting the team with the funds to buy new uniforms you can have an opinion on what color we wear. The midgets practice at Monte Vista Baptist Church. The Pee Wees and Hoppers practice at WB.

The long time head coach of the Fairview Raiders chose to change to those colors several years ago in an attempt to irritate the Rebs. I think it is a shame to exploit 9-12 year old children because of his childish disdain for Maryville.

(Or maybe he is truely a Maryville Rebel want to be <_< )

Coach Young's brother, Randy, was a star RB and LB at Maryville in the 80's. The uniforms are designed to look like those he wore. The Raiders are not a WB feeder program therefore are not tied to any color format. The growth of Maryville has provided a steady stream of athletes that could not wait for the Rebs and Southerners waiting lists and we have benefited greatly.

Stars, yes that is one of them. He lives down around Lanier but goes to city schools because that is where is mom teaches. His dad was a standout at WB in the day and I believe his mom played b-ball at WB, but you probably already know all of this. His dad is a huge Maryville fan so I guess the kid will end up at Maryville High, whereever he ends up someone is getting a great kid that is a joy to coach. Better get Nellie Belle cranked up and ready to offer some garbage services at an affordable price in the Lanier area.

Jaik gettun down two Lan-Near won't bee no trubble......mommaSTARS can eat 4 times a day at Tea Cee's Grill ennyhow...... :hungry:

GOVMAN

Fairview Raiders midget program IS NOT a sole WB feeder program. It feeds all county and city school systems. For quite some time now, 50% of our kids are MIS or John Sevier students. The remainder is split among Alcoa, Heritage and William Blount feeder Schools. As for the colors, when you start suporting the team with the funds to buy new uniforms you can have an opinion on what color we wear. The midgets practice at Monte Vista Baptist Church. The Pee Wees and Hoppers practice at WB.

Woah there Scots50. I may not have a vote or any say so on what colors you all wear, but I can--and do--have an opinion.

And thanks for sharing the info on the make-up of the team. Good info to know.

Edited by GovMan

The long time head coach of the Fairview Raiders chose to change to those colors several years ago in an attempt to irritate the Rebs. I think it is a shame to exploit 9-12 year old children because of his childish disdain for Maryville.

(Or maybe he is truely a Maryville Rebel want to be <_< )

Once again, everything must revolve around the rebs. After all, everyone wants to be a reb. Everyone wants their son to play (or just sit on the bench) for them. As some parents have truly been told, if they don't play (or sit) for the rebs, they won't get to play at the middle school or high school. I'm sure their future coaches check out their resume for experience to make sure they were a part of such a winning program at 12 years old in parks/rec! Give me a freakin break! It is parks/rec football. The people across the street from Everett don't even know or care who is playing! To slander any man who has spent most of his life coaching/baby-sitting/counseling kids is dispicable. However, you do deserve a thank you. Back when the colors were changed, I helped start the rumor that it was done just to rile the rebs. I believed at the time that there were some (not all) reb want-a-be's (mostly WB and HHS grads) who would believe it and really get ticked off. I imagined: "How dare they use the Maryville colors! We are the rebs!" Again, it is parks/rec football! It has taken a few years for the evolution, but thank you for chuckle we got from that post. Everyone involved with youth sports should realize it is all about the kids - both the kids on your team and the kids on the other teams. It is not all about championship records, offensive records, defensive records, coaching records, or team colors. If you are not trying to have a positive impact on all the kids, you are in it for the wrong reasons. Luckily, there are several coaches in the youth leagues who have been there for many years. They are not dads who simply want to change things for the benefit of their kid for the few years he is in the league. They have provided a stable league for thousands of kids in our community during the past 25 years. I simple "thank you" to all of them would have been more appropriate.

This thread began as a great opportunity for those who have some knowledge about the struggles of WBHS and HHS football to offer their opinions. Although I have little direct knowledge about either of the county high schools (MHS grad), I do have an opinion. Most (not all) wins are determined because of the Jimmy and Joes, not the X's and O's. In other words, the kids have to be out of the halls and on the field. To get them on the field, there must be some excitement in the program. The multiple coaching changes over the last few years has done nothing to build excitement. Hopefully, both schools will (or have) found the right guy for their jobs and (as an earlier poster said) everyone can get behind the program from the youth leagues on up. This should happen regardless of what color a kid wears when he plays parks/rec.

Give me a freakin break! It is parks/rec football.

I feel like we ought to take a knee here, isn't that what they do in parks&rec?

Oldrebel,

In my old age maybe I've got confused. You must not be who I was thinking you were. So maybe the "mancrush" was a little early in our relationship. But I do love you though brother. Sorry.

Actually, we have met. I just have never come from behind my anonymity as oldrebel on coacht.

I feel like we ought to take a knee here, isn't that what they do in parks&rec?

Actually, we have met. I just have never come from behind my anonymity as oldrebel on coacht.

So are you who I think you are or not? Or am I losing my mind? You don't have to answer that one truthfully.

And by the way, it's not just parks and rec who take a knee ... we do that at WB too! :flower:

Once again, everything must revolve around the rebs. After all, everyone wants to be a reb. Everyone wants their son to play (or just sit on the bench) for them. As some parents have truly been told, if they don't play (or sit) for the rebs, they won't get to play at the middle school or high school. I'm sure their future coaches check out their resume for experience to make sure they were a part of such a winning program at 12 years old in parks/rec! Give me a freakin break! It is parks/rec football. The people across the street from Everett don't even know or care who is playing! To slander any man who has spent most of his life coaching/baby-sitting/counseling kids is dispicable. However, you do deserve a thank you. Back when the colors were changed, I helped start the rumor that it was done just to rile the rebs. I believed at the time that there were some (not all) reb want-a-be's (mostly WB and HHS grads) who would believe it and really get ticked off. I imagined: "How dare they use the Maryville colors! We are the rebs!" Again, it is parks/rec football! It has taken a few years for the evolution, but thank you for chuckle we got from that post. Everyone involved with youth sports should realize it is all about the kids - both the kids on your team and the kids on the other teams. It is not all about championship records, offensive records, defensive records, coaching records, or team colors. If you are not trying to have a positive impact on all the kids, you are in it for the wrong reasons. Luckily, there are several coaches in the youth leagues who have been there for many years. They are not dads who simply want to change things for the benefit of their kid for the few years he is in the league. They have provided a stable league for thousands of kids in our community during the past 25 years. I simple "thank you" to all of them would have been more appropriate.

This thread began as a great opportunity for those who have some knowledge about the struggles of WBHS and HHS football to offer their opinions. Although I have little direct knowledge about either of the county high schools (MHS grad), I do have an opinion. Most (not all) wins are determined because of the Jimmy and Joes, not the X's and O's. In other words, the kids have to be out of the halls and on the field. To get them on the field, there must be some excitement in the program. The multiple coaching changes over the last few years has done nothing to build excitement. Hopefully, both schools will (or have) found the right guy for their jobs and (as an earlier poster said) everyone can get behind the program from the youth leagues on up. This should happen regardless of what color a kid wears when he plays parks/rec.

Exactly,

I think I wrote a similar post a few years back when the Raiders refused to play the Rebs during regular season. Is it not fair to say that adult ego took precedent over the will of the players and parents. That stunt caused 4 teams of players, cheerleaders, and famillies to miss a game. That is certainly not looking out for the kids on both sides of the ball.

So now that you have taken me to the woodshed, I will follow Oldrebel's advice.

Knee down!

Edited by Rebelsman