Blount County Schools Football

PhoosballPhan

The long time head coach of the Fairview Raiders chose to change to those colors several years ago in an attempt to irritate the Rebs. I think it is a shame to exploit 9-12 year old children because of his childish disdain for Maryville.

(Or maybe he is truely a Maryville Rebel want to be <_< )

I think maroon with silver helmets would do the trick better than red and black, but what do I know, I played for the Maryville Bears/Cubs organization. :flower:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize for my miswording. Maybe coward wasnt the best word to use but I cant think of anything else to use. Why else would you end a football rivalry after years and years of playing? Its not money. The gate is going to be higher for an Alcoa-WB game then a WB-Seymour game. Its not a record thing because WB hasnt really improved on their record since dropping Alcoa from their schedule. I guess we can say it was a cheap move because with the BC school dropping Alcoa due to their success it really put Alcoa in a hard spot and a great financial one having to travel or pay teams to travel to play us.

As for the basketball comment, I dont see why Alcoa should play WB in anything. From my knowledge WB was dropped from most if not all sports because of their refusal to play in football. It was an eye for a eye thing. All 4 county schools should play each other in all sports necessary.

Goddard,

Apology accepted and I'm sorry for being so touchy about that subject as well. I DO AGREE with you that we should be playing. As for all the "fans throwing stuff at the team, etc. bullcrap" ... I promise you that was blown way, way out of proportion.

The year Coach Meadows dropped Alcoa and Knox Central off our schedule, he replaced them with Sevier County and Northwest Clarksville. Sevier County has maintained their regular place on the schedule. It has become a good rivalry game for us. After a home and away against Clarksville NW, we then upgraded that game to Kingsport DB for a couple of years. Past couple of years we've played Karns and Jeff County.

Whatever the reason, I've never made a it a secret that I believe it was a mistake to drop Alcoa and we should pick them back up. You are exactly right about the reasoning behind Alcoa dropping us in basketball. I simply used that as an example to point out how unfair it was to attach the "coward" label to our whole sporting community because of a decision that most of us don't get a vote in--players included. Fortunately, I believe "the powers that be at Alcoa" recanted and I believe we will play again starting this year in b-ball.

All that aside ... I wish the Tornadoes the best of luck in capturing another state title this year.

Rebelsman, thanks for the info on the Raiders color scheme. I have also heard that there was a rift between Coach Young and the former coaching staff at WB that played into the decision??? Don't know that for sure, but as I said, I don't like coming on to the campus on Friday nights during football season and seeing one of the Raiders teams practicing in our school's back yard wearing Maryville colors. I don't believe that is unreasonable for me to feel that way. But who knows, maybe it is.

Rebelsman, thanks for the info on the Raiders color scheme. I have also heard that there was a rift between Coach Young and the former coaching staff at WB that played into the decision??? Don't know that for sure, but as I said, I don't like coming on to the campus on Friday nights during football season and seeing one of the Raiders teams practicing in our school's back yard wearing Maryville colors. I don't believe that is unreasonable for me to feel that way. But who knows, maybe it is.

GovMan, the defensive coordinator of the midget Raiders (for over 20 years) lives across the street from you. If you see him sometime, ask him the reason for the color change. I am sure he will give you a more accurate account of why they changed. It is not as it seems.

Jake ... I'll ask him. Seems I read somewhere that maybe the colors were a tribute to him? If I can ever get him to stop doing yard work I'll ask him. He puts the rest of our neighborhood to shame! And please -- noone -- misinterpret my dislike for the Raiders' color scheme to mean that I don't like Maryville folks. I do! I'm very proud of what Maryville has accomplished on the football field. I will cheer like crazy that they win state this year. I teach Sunday School with David Ellis. I live two doors up from Coach Quarles. Believe it or not, on the night the Rebels whipped up this year, he was at my house after the game eating my delicious chicken chili. Don Sentell helped raise me in a lot of ways ... in my earlier years of youth ministry, he was my right hand man. And I have a secret man-crush on MLReb and OldRebel. :flower:

But I still don't like seeing the Raiders wear red and black. I hope everyone can accept my honesty. I mean no disrespect.

Jake ... I'll ask him. Seems I read somewhere that maybe the colors were a tribute to him? If I can ever get him to stop doing yard work I'll ask him. He puts the rest of our neighborhood to shame! And please -- noone -- misinterpret my dislike for the Raiders' color scheme to mean that I don't like Maryville folks. I do! I'm very proud of what Maryville has accomplished on the football field. I will cheer like crazy that they win state this year. I teach Sunday School with David Ellis. I live two doors up from Coach Quarles. Believe it or not, on the night the Rebels whipped up this year, he was at my house after the game eating my delicious chicken chili. Don Sentell helped raise me in a lot of ways ... in my earlier years of youth ministry, he was my right hand man. And I have a secret man-crush on MLReb and OldRebel. :flower:

But I still don't like seeing the Raiders wear red and black. I hope everyone can accept my honesty. I mean no disrespect.

Gov-Man ...How come me and mommaSTARS woodun't envited fer yore "chicken chili"....???... :blink: ..Bye tha way......Eye ain't tellin' tha purty little red-haired Allinwick gurl nothin abowt ewe and yore man crushes....Maybee ewe could git a suh-bat-ticull ere sumthin and git ovur that.....And leeve tha rabbit baccker aloan!!! :huh:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Which one stars, they have four or five stud running backs.

You're right, several good players on that team. The best one I saw was porter (#27?) and he is at Maryville Intermediate (MIS). He and my son are on the same biddy league basketball team and played against each other in the midget league championship game a couple of weeks ago. #21 was very good also. My son says that there a few other kids from other midget teams that also go to MIS and MMS. We had 2 players on the Rebs that will go to Alcoa, both of them were 11 yrs old. One of them was Randall Cobb's nephew (he had 2 nephews on the team - one at Alcoa and one at MIS). The other kid that will go to Alcoa is really good too - very tough. They will be a big pick-up for the Tornadoes...LOTS of potential in those two boys. So, I can understand how it feels to have good kids on the team that will go to another school, you really hate that they won't continue to play together with the other boys on the team. But, I'd like to think the parents are doing what is best for their kids, so I don't fault them for it at all. From what I saw, they all seemed to have good sportsmanship and respect for each other - which is a testament to the coaches and parents. By the way, I'm gonna give a shout out to Greyrider's boy, he had some good licks out there this year!

Jaik eye thank hiz naim is Porter orr sumthin like that.....

Stars, yes that is one of them. He lives down around Lanier but goes to city schools because that is where is mom teaches. His dad was a standout at WB in the day and I believe his mom played b-ball at WB, but you probably already know all of this. His dad is a huge Maryville fan so I guess the kid will end up at Maryville High, whereever he ends up someone is getting a great kid that is a joy to coach. Better get Nellie Belle cranked up and ready to offer some garbage services at an affordable price in the Lanier area.

He says thanks for the shout out. Jake , my oldest played for the Raider org during the color change. The reasoning behind it varies somewhat but the main reason was to irritate / emulate and get attention from the kids out there who were not playing. As far as the not practicing at William Blount fields... let's just say there was never an unconditional offer of support by WB to it' feeder program, so there ya go.

He says thanks for the shout out. Jake , my oldest played for the Raider org during the color change. The reasoning behind it varies somewhat but the main reason was to irritate / emulate and get attention from the kids out there who were not playing. As far as the not practicing at William Blount fields... let's just say there was never an unconditional offer of support by WB to it' feeder program, so there ya go.

Grey,

If that is true, then certainly Coach Gregory should (and I believe has) make amends. Coach Young has two sons coaching at WB --John in football; Justin in basketball and baseball. They are both exceptional young men and coaches ... the type we need to be going after at WB. Maybe the two of them could convince their daddy and their uncle to switch back on the colors?