CAK @ Alcoa

Govolsknox

My wife & I are making this our "game of the week" and driving down from Kingsport. I've seen Alcoa play several times through the years, but never at Alcoa, although I was there for a band festival once around 2001 when my daughter was in the band. What time should we arrive to get a seat? Also, are there any good "local" places to eat besides the usual chains? If not, we may just go on into Murville and get a burger at Brackins or eat at Sullivan's. Looking forward to the trip. I've read & heard a lot about Epperly and the CAK offense, and saw Alcoa against Middlesboro early this season. Good luck to both teams!

Hey Hoss: those Alcoa fans like to get there early and lay claim to their piece of the concrete. So that you don't step on any toes (or blankets) you're welcome to wander on over to the bleacher side of the field and sit with us friendly CAK folks. The back parking lot is a closer walk, no hills to climb, close to the bathrooms and the band burger tent, and we need some help filling up our side of the field since our school is about 150 students smaller than Alcoa :D . Also, if you have any medical conditions there will be lots of doctors available. ;)

i'm sick and tired of week after week people saying cak isn't physical and how every team they play is gonna beat them up for 4 quarters. don't you think cak has earned some respect? i'm not saying that they're the most physical team but clearly they're playing physical or they wouldn't have had as much success as they've had these past years. i know the stigma of private schools but give them something i mean most of the schools who talk big and play "physical" havent even had as much success as cak. now i'm by no means saying cak is better than alcoa but clearly they can compete and you can't take that away from them by saying alcoa wasn't on "their game" last time. haha ready for my soap box to be kicked out now

What is it with Rankin anyway? Has the man ever had a bad team? Heck it was his Smith County Owls that put us out of the playoffs back in 1985. Anyway, as for this Polk fan, I have a lot of respect for both teams, I'm sure it will be a good game. As for CAK being physical, I'll give 'em a little credit, I'm sure there were more hits but I remember #42 hitting our tailback pretty darn hard in the backfield. Just sayin...LOL. Best of luck to you both!

What is it with Rankin anyway? Has the man ever had a bad team? Heck it was his Smith County Owls that put us out of the playoffs back in 1985. Anyway, as for this Polk fan, I have a lot of respect for both teams, I'm sure it will be a good game. As for CAK being physical, I'll give 'em a little credit, I'm sure there were more hits but I remember #42 hitting our tailback pretty darn hard in the backfield. Just sayin...LOL. Best of luck to you both!

Thanks Rockemsockem. CAK is certainly finesse by design on offense but they aren't push overs either when it comes to playing tough. I was impressed with Polk and their style, but I was most impressed with their sure tackling. Yes, some hard hits, but more importantly limiting yards after the intial hit.

Hey Hoss: those Alcoa fans like to get there early and lay claim to their piece of the concrete. So that you don't step on any toes (or blankets) you're welcome to wander on over to the bleacher side of the field and sit with us friendly CAK folks. The back parking lot is a closer walk, no hills to climb, close to the bathrooms and the band burger tent, and we need some help filling up our side of the field since our school is about 150 students smaller than Alcoa :D . Also, if you have any medical conditions there will be lots of doctors available. ;)

I might just do that. We just want a good seat. We thought we had a good seat on Fulton's side last week at Greeneville, but it turned out to be behind the Falcon's band. :roll:

I heard that #16 for CAK will not play due to broken collar bone and that #2 Epperly has a couple of cracked ribs. Is this true?

The CAK dads on here (all MD's and JD's mind you...except for JD!) will quote HIPPA regulations and defer comment.

Soooooo.....JD?

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge

Couple of points regarding physical play:

1)Alcoa is MORE physical than Polk, period. But mainly because overall from top to bottom Alcoa has a larger number of bigger & faster athletes, speed + mass + aggressiveness = physical play. Additionally, Alcoa can beat you up on both sides of the football. Their offense, with those big bruising running backs and offensive line is actually more punishing than the defense in my opinion, although the defense is physical as well. Polk is a very good tackling team, gang tackles, and runs through the ball carrier when making a hit. That too equals physical play. Their offense is not nearly as punishing as Alcoas, although they do have a good size QB & FB. Offensive line is good but not as good as the Tornadoes. So, yes, Polk plays physical, just not as physical as Alcoa. Just my humble opinion.

2)CAK is tough, yes physically as well. Not as physical as Alcoa or Polk, but plenty tough enough. I saw Alcoa guys dragging themselves up off the ground 3 weeks ago just like I saw Polk guys doing last week. I believe most honest observers would acknowledge that CAK is no "cupcake" team that just throws the ball all over the field. Sure the offense is our signature, but I've seen our receivers truck over many DB's and our O line drive guys into the ground. We will get beat up against the Tornadoes this week physcially, no doubt, but I know the CAK guys will give it all they have and thats all we can ask of them.

What Dad said :thumb: