Big 8 Offseason Thread - 2010 Edition

formerblazer

Blazer.I think the Big 8 has some great ball players and it is a very competitive conference.I don't think Carmichael,Hall,Story,Rollins and Spradlin would have help DB enough to get past Maryville.Ogle might have been enough to get them to Maryville however.Greeneville had a fine team in the right place.They would have probably won it without Carmichael,I seen that against South.Carmichael was the difference in a very good team and a great team..... Boone has a great pee wee team and should be a solid football program for years to come.I don't know what it will take for one of our teams to go all the way.I thought Tennessee High was that team in 2009.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blazer.I think the Big 8 has some great ball players and it is a very competitive conference.I don't think Carmichael,Hall,Story,Rollins and Spradlin would have help DB enough to get past Maryville.Ogle might have been enough to get them to Maryville however.Greeneville had a fine team in the right place.They would have probably won it without Carmichael,I seen that against South.Carmichael was the difference in a very good team and a great team..... Boone has a great pee wee team and should be a solid football program for years to come.I don't know what it will take for one of our teams to go all the way.I thought Tennessee High was that team in 2009.

The 2009 TN High team was good...really good. They had a lot of holes where when we played them two games, it was easier to see where those holes were. When you get to see things like that plus you go into the game knowing what speed you have to play them at... then you have an upset waiting to happen. That said, I do not think the DB team would have made it past the 4th round, same for the other teams. I think the teams that made it to the state had the speed and defense to shut teams down. Regardless of what anyone says, the 2009 South team was pretty darned good and if they didn't have an answer for the team they played, I don't think the other teams would either. I think teams in this area have finally figured out better ways to defend the spread, and teams in middle tn have been doing that for a while.

Bat, you had to be at the allstar game, those kids from Greeneville were freakin awesome, I can see how they won a state and any of them on any team would give someone an advantage. I think it came down to DB being able to defend in round 2. It came down to fumbles for Boone in round 2... just a lot of things fell apart for some teams that were playing good ball. That is how it goes.

FB,I was working graveyards on all star weekend.I did catch several Greeneville games and they had holes on the defensive side as well but not enough to get them beat.I think it was Fulton that spread their offensive splits and ran pretty wild from twenty to twenty.Greeneville was just a much better overall team however.That and the trouble they had with our speed was why on some of those threads about beating Alcoa this year,I knew would have never happened.That doesn't tarnish my Greene Devil pride any less then a Maryville fans by really getting beat by Alcoa. I'm very glad that a team from this area got it done and it doesn't hurt me that I played for them a hundred years ago.You said 4th round,we couldn't have got past the third but might have won the game Maryville had in the 4th round.I can't believe the best chance in the last few years for Dobyns-Bennett was a team that got dogged everywhere with it's 1-3 start.There were just no great teams in 2007, in 5A.That same Bearden team that got lucky on a bobbled extra point and beat us 8-7 should have won the state. The 2009 South team was a great team,but I don't think they would have beat Tennessee High if Boone hadn't have.Every last South fan I talked to that same night at the Knox Catholic game thought the very same thing and were very excited Boone was coming back to death valley.

FB,I was working graveyards on all star weekend.I did catch several Greeneville games and they had holes on the defensive side as well but not enough to get them beat.I think it was Fulton that spread their offensive splits and ran pretty wild from twenty to twenty.Greeneville was just a much better overall team however.That and the trouble they had with our speed was why on some of those threads about beating Alcoa this year,I knew would have never happened.That doesn't tarnish my Greene Devil pride any less then a Maryville fans by really getting beat by Alcoa. I'm very glad that a team from this area got it done and it doesn't hurt me that I played for them a hundred years ago.You said 4th round,we couldn't have got past the third but might have won the game Maryville had in the 4th round.I can't believe the best chance in the last few years for Dobyns-Bennett was a team that got dogged everywhere with it's 1-3 start.There were just no great teams in 2007, in 5A.That same Bearden team that got lucky on a bobbled extra point and beat us 8-7 should have won the state. The 2009 South team was a great team,but I don't think they would have beat Tennessee High if Boone hadn't have.Every last South fan I talked to that same night at the Knox Catholic game thought the very same thing and were very excited Boone was coming back to death valley.

I hear ya man. I've heard a lot of people comparing Greenville to Maryville and Alcoa...it might be a good game but I think that defensively, Alcoa and Maryville know how to bunker down. Not to say the Devils don't have a good defense, I just think they had better athletes on the field and you can get away with that with teams like that. Still, they got the job done and you can't ask for anything else.

I just can't see the 2009 TN High team going all the way, but one of those things that we will never find out.

Where was greenevilles weak spots at on defense

When your beating teams to death it's hard to find many things.Weak might be a bit much for any part of the Devil team,maybe say not as strong as.I might have been thinking the Gibbs game in which they got a lot of yards by spliting their stances .I think it was one of those games in which Greeneville had the ball bounce the right way and were never in any danger after getting a good lead and taking Gibbs out of their game.Still,it's something Alcoa will be looking at next year with their great running game and Greeneville not having three or four stud players on that side.From what I'm hearing,Alcoa will lose a bunch,but it's hard to see them not being strong and maybe just an early loss to Maryville.

Batman, I liked your offense this season. But I don't think it utilized your skill completely. Yes, Seabolt was a great option QB. It was his forte'. But I truly believe the Spread would have been more to your advantage. Maryville runs two...sometimes three offenses. The game has gotten complicated. And I think diversity is the order of the time. Canon and Steele were not utilized on offense. And to be honest, neither were Swafford and CS. Let's face it...that skill group was a load to have all in one year. The Spread has to have a TE and you had one in Clark. Of course a spread coach would have moved Cory Hall to TE but that is another story. Blackman had one guy...Bearden had one guy. DB had 5. And the O line to boot. Yes, D was suspect at times but at others was superb. No kicking game hurts but IMOP you had the goods. Jack says 2011 will be better...I just don't see it. Everyone knows Seabolt should have been the QB in '09. Those kinds of problems didn't plague DB in '10. Will they in '11?

Batman, I liked your offense this season. But I don't think it utilized your skill completely. Yes, Seabolt was a great option QB. It was his forte'. But I truly believe the Spread would have been more to your advantage. Maryville runs two...sometimes three offenses. The game has gotten complicated. And I think diversity is the order of the time. Canon and Steele were not utilized on offense. And to be honest, neither were Swafford and CS. Let's face it...that skill group was a load to have all in one year. The Spread has to have a TE and you had one in Clark. Of course a spread coach would have moved Cory Hall to TE but that is another story. Blackman had one guy...Bearden had one guy. DB had 5. And the O line to boot. Yes, D was suspect at times but at others was superb. No kicking game hurts but IMOP you had the goods. Jack says 2011 will be better...I just don't see it. Everyone knows Seabolt should have been the QB in '09. Those kinds of problems didn't plague DB in '10. Will they in '11?

Good post, with excellent question at the end.

When your beating teams to death it's hard to find many things.Weak might be a bit much for any part of the Devil team,maybe say not as strong as.I might have been thinking the Gibbs game in which they got a lot of yards by spliting their stances .I think it was one of those games in which Greeneville had the ball bounce the right way and were never in any danger after getting a good lead and taking Gibbs out of their game.Still,it's something Alcoa will be looking at next year with their great running game and Greeneville not having three or four stud players on that side.From what I'm hearing,Alcoa will lose a bunch,but it's hard to see them not being strong and maybe just an early loss to Maryville.

The Greene devils only lose 4 starters and only 7 seniors 3 on defense carmichael,story, and spradlin. Gibbs was never in the game and the triple option is a good offense if you run it right most defenses don't see it that much and they have to be very discipline I think Gibbs was only inside the 20 once. Greeneville has a good defense returning next year and should hang with alcoa maybe even shock the world. Db had a lot of athletes i watched them practice for the fca bowl I can't see how they didn't beat bearden they prb had 3 or 4 players up there is close to the same level as carmichael.

Edited by blade

Comp and Blade.The one guy Bearden had was good enough to get the job done.Bearden had more then that however,and I told some insiders that going in.When you get 500 yards or so of offense in a game,that is enough in most cases to win.I can't see us doing a whole lot more then that against Bearden or anyone.That was a great job of coaching and our players getting it done.I said if we kicked to Young,he could beat us by himself.Well we kicked it to deep and he changed the momentum we had in a single kickoff return.We were two very evenly matched teams and someone had to lose.You can go back and read what I thought Beardens chances were against Maryville and as I said,we were pretty much in the same class as Bearden.That's not to say that I wouldn't have liked to played Maryville,because I would have.You always have a chance because so many things can happen.Sometimes you have to just line up and do the best you can.You can point fingers at coaches or players but that won't change the facts if you get beat .DB just needs to work and get as big,strong and fast as they can.If they get a chance to prove they are better next year,just line up and get it done.Besides all things I listed,we have to be smarter as a team as well.UT proved last night that even at the next level,players can do stupid things and act as if they never scored a touchdown before.Tennessee's QB needs two things,"Class" and the Golden Corral.

I liked Tennessee qb yea he celebrated a little to much. The freshmen was was carrying them last night I'm glad he got some confidence. Tennessee as a team has No Discipline should of been 3 or 4 personal foul on us in the last drive. If the field goal kicker does he job game over.

I liked Tennessee qb yea he celebrated a little to much. The freshmen was was carrying them last night I'm glad he got some confidence. Tennessee as a team has No Discipline should of been 3 or 4 personal foul on us in the last drive. If the field goal kicker does he job game over.

Well, the thug came out in TN in the end, the little bit of "i'm going to hit you hard I don't care if is illegal I am going to get out of character and act like a punk and put this game away." This past year, I saw a team do this way too many times and cost a lot of points. I'm going to hit someone hard and let them know...and it ends up being a personal foul.

I will grant the players one thing tho, he should have gone after the first down hard that last drive, instead we had a 3 and out Fulmer down the middle and pray defense can do it....your qb did fine all they needed was one first down...you can't do that by tiptoeing up the middle. Meh...left a bad taste in my mouth after the game.