Henry County Patriots in 2011

QBClubPrez

I was wondering what was happening at HC, my neighbor's kid is on the team and he said that Coach Counce is rarely around. He talked like he was in the weight room 90 minutes each day and might see the head coach once a week. Seems strange to me. I also heard that another former Patriot was coming home to coach with his old coach.

I was wondering what was happening at HC, my neighbor's kid is on the team and he said that Coach Counce is rarely around. He talked like he was in the weight room 90 minutes each day and might see the head coach once a week. Seems strange to me. I also heard that another former Patriot was coming home to coach with his old coach.

Exactly the type of coaching you get when you enter Henry Co. land. Not only in football but in baseball and basketball. The exception is the Lady Patriot basketball coach. The Grove/Freshman program is a complete waste IMO. Kids who enter High School in 9th grade should be on the HS team or on the JV period. Building a new gym for just freshman basketball is ridiculous I‘m sure there are a few class rooms to go along, but that’s neither here nor there. If Henry Co. were producing championships in football and basketball through the separate 9th grade football and basketball systems I believe it would be a different story. Anyone who lives in Paris/Henry Co. are well aware that is not the case. It's just a complete waste. Do they get a gold ball for going undefeated in either sport? No. Now could the JV teams get more and better coaching to get these kids better with out the separation? Yes. JV teams could get more and better attention for development..... The baseball team has a non existent off season summer program and this should exist. Very few players ages 15-17 play summer travel ball in this county. This means a low % of development. The HS team may play around 16-20 (if that many) games against a non competitive West TN schedule during the summer which provides IMO very little experience. The best players on the teams they will play don't play for the HS teams during the summer because they play travel baseball. This equals low competition. There should be a complete extensive summer baseball program not just a thrown together schedule to play a few games....... Back to football. I have watched around 80% of Henry Co. football games since Joe Gaddis (great coach) took over in 2004. IMO this could be the most complete football team ever in Henry Co. next year. This could go to waste. Players who should be on playing on both sides of the ball don't. One example of many IMO is Shaq Allen...no reason this kid who doesn't even play every down on the offensive side shouldn't be in at LB on defense. He's not even rotated in at any point not even during the playoffs either. This means this good athlete is playing less than 50% of the game. WHY? When it comes to your QB I can understand completely but IDK where the logic is not playing your best players on both sides? It's not college or the pros with a very deep talented roster. This is HS. For those who watched the Hendersonville game saw most of their best players going both ways and even on special teams. I’m very far from calling our coaching horrible but a team is a reflection of the head coach. Sometimes it's not the passion you put in during the season or on Friday nights under the lights but it's the passion you put in to your players and the relationships you develop during the off season and in that same very weight room in December on through out the spring and summer. I have no clue if this is even close to being the truth or just a dead period for the football coaches but lets all hope that's the case. GO BIG RED!

Edited by IMSBulldog

Exactly the type of coaching you get when you enter Henry Co. land. Not only in football but in baseball and basketball. The exception is the Lady Patriot basketball coach. The Grove/Freshman program is a complete waste IMO. Kids who enter High School in 9th grade should be on the HS team or on the JV period. Building a new gym for just freshman basketball is ridiculous I‘m sure there are a few class rooms to go along, but that’s neither here nor there. If Henry Co. were producing championships in football and basketball through the separate 9th grade football and basketball systems I believe it would be a different story. Anyone who lives in Paris/Henry Co. are well aware that is not the case. It's just a complete waste. Do they get a gold ball for going undefeated in either sport? No. Now could the JV teams get more and better coaching to get these kids better with out the separation? Yes. JV teams could get more and better attention for development..... The baseball team has a non existent off season summer program and this should exist. Very few players ages 15-17 play summer travel ball in this county. This means a low % of development. The HS team may play around 16-20 (if that many) games against a non competitive West TN schedule during the summer which provides IMO very little experience. The best players on the teams they will play don't play for the HS teams during the summer because they play travel baseball. This equals low competition. There should be a complete extensive summer baseball program not just a thrown together schedule to play a few games....... Back to football. I have watched around 80% of Henry Co. football games since Joe Gaddis (great coach) took over in 2004. IMO this could be the most complete football team ever in Henry Co. next year. This could go to waste. Players who should be on playing on both sides of the ball don't. One example of many IMO is Shaq Allen...no reason this kid who doesn't even play every down on the offensive side shouldn't be in at LB on defense. He's not even rotated in at any point not even during the playoffs either. This means this good athlete is playing less than 50% of the game. WHY? When it comes to your QB I can understand completely but IDK where the logic is not playing your best players on both sides? It's not college or the pros with a very deep talented roster. This is HS. For those who watched the Hendersonville game saw most of their best players going both ways and even on special teams. I’m very far from calling our coaching horrible but a team is a reflection of the head coach. Sometimes it's not the passion you put in during the season or on Friday nights under the lights but it's the passion you put in to your players and the relationships you develop during the off season and in that same very weight room in December on through out the spring and summer. I have no clue if this is even close to being the truth or just a dead period for the football coaches but lets all hope that's the case. GO BIG RED!

Dang you did some preaching didn't you? I guess the only coach at this school that you like is the Girls Basketball Coach. Since you have all the answers why don't you start coaching and teaching? Why don't you apply for the baseball job and workout the kids? Why don't you meet with the coaches and tell them to play your son both ways? You just made this team weaker by being a complainer.

What is your agenda? I am a HC fan and I have watched games for a long time. Last year we did what we almost always do. Have a successful year and fall in playoffs to a team out of middle tennessee. Your great coach did the same thing. We lost to Hillsboro and Maplewood and Gallatin while he was here. Now we won a bunch of games and went into West TN and won several playoff games, but same result as this year we lost to Middle Tenn. teams. So what is your point?

Most of the time assistant coaches run the offseason program. Passion comes from leaders on the team. When you have 40 seniors on a team, playing players on one side of the ball keeps injuries down, builds depth, allows coaches to get players together in between series to fix mistakes, and keeps kids fresh all game. Down in dresden we would love to play players one way. From what I've seen, HC coaches are doing a great job with that football program. Don't really care about the other sports.

Dang you did some preaching didn't you? I guess the only coach at this school that you like is the Girls Basketball Coach. Since you have all the answers why don't you start coaching and teaching? Why don't you apply for the baseball job and workout the kids? Why don't you meet with the coaches and tell them to play your son both ways? You just made this team weaker by being a complainer.

I believe you're mistaking thoughts and opinions for answers and complaining. just stating mine. You do the same. Ill respect and keep an open mind to whatever arguments anyone has to say about what I have to say. Good day....

Edited by IMSBulldog

Most of the time assistant coaches run the offseason program. Passion comes from leaders on the team. When you have 40 seniors on a team, playing players on one side of the ball keeps injuries down, builds depth, allows coaches to get players together in between series to fix mistakes, and keeps kids fresh all game. Down in dresden we would love to play players one way. From what I've seen, HC coaches are doing a great job with that football program. Don't really care about the other sports.

Like I said I didnt call our coaching horrible...and i like everything about what you listed but uh....winning the most important games when you need to. Keeping "KIDS/YOUNG MEN"fresh is over rated but some what needed ...trying to minimize injuries is playing scared and you have regular rotation for subbing and halftime to iron out mistakes

Edited by IMSBulldog

What is your agenda? I am a HC fan and I have watched games for a long time. Last year we did what we almost always do. Have a successful year and fall in playoffs to a team out of middle tennessee. Your great coach did the same thing. We lost to Hillsboro and Maplewood and Gallatin while he was here. Now we won a bunch of games and went into West TN and won several playoff games, but same result as this year we lost to Middle Tenn. teams. So what is your point?

Great points...hopefully the coaches use that as part of their motivation for the team to get over the middle tn hump or for this staff the second round hump....with that being said I really think we have a great team coming back and another 2nd round boot idc what team it is would be a huge let down im sure you feel the same way....and that would not be a successfull season...btw it wasnt my great coach [gaddis] ..it was our great coach who has our football program on the high it is on now... can we agree on that?? And I hope nothing but the best for the current staff and we all hope when you walk into the HS there will be a gold ball to look at next year and not just a refection of yourself in the glass.

Edited by IMSBulldog

Until Henry County wins a gold ball, people will always nit and pick at the coaching staff. That's just the way it is. The sad thing is, coaching is not our problem. Far from it. Gaddis was a legend who had previously won a state title before coming here, and basically resurrected this program. And as for Counce, ask any coach in West Tennessee and you'll probably get the same answer, the guy is legendary. He hasn't coached for nearly 40 years by accident. But as I've said, people will not be satisfied until a championship trophy is brought to Paris. I believe next year we will have our best chance since 2008 of winning a title, and maybe even more so considering our offensive and defensive lines, which could very well be a couple of the best units we have had here. And then you throw in some of the athletes we have up and down the roster and you'll see that this could be the most complete team I can remember us having, even during the Teague/Allen years. Especially considering the majority of them are seniors. I don't think this team will be capable of scoring points like the ones of a few years ago, but I do think it will be able to hold its own with any team that has come through HC.

In my humble opinion, next year will be the closest thing to a "championship or bust" season as you can get.

Until Henry County wins a gold ball, people will always nit and pick at the coaching staff. That's just the way it is. The sad thing is, coaching is not our problem. Far from it. Gaddis was a legend who had previously won a state title before coming here, and basically resurrected this program. And as for Counce, ask any coach in West Tennessee and you'll probably get the same answer, the guy is legendary. He hasn't coached for nearly 40 years by accident. But as I've said, people will not be satisfied until a championship trophy is brought to Paris. I believe next year we will have our best chance since 2008 of winning a title, and maybe even more so considering our offensive and defensive lines, which could very well be a couple of the best units we have had here. And then you throw in some of the athletes we have up and down the roster and you'll see that this could be the most complete team I can remember us having, even during the Teague/Allen years. Especially considering the majority of them are seniors. I don't think this team will be capable of scoring points like the ones of a few years ago, but I do think it will be able to hold its own with any team that has come through HC.

In my humble opinion, next year will be the closest thing to a "championship or bust" season as you can get.

Couldn't have said it any better. The only thing is I cant call someone legendary who hasnt won a state champ. as the head coach...but I do believe not for sure he [counce] won one with brentwood academy as an assistant and then went back to dyersburg ??? Could be wrong about the BA thing...but well put by you championship or bust for sure....absolutely no room for one and done this year. good coaches have a winning season .....great coaches can win a district championship and a couple of playoff games ...but legendary get to and win the big game

Edited by IMSBulldog

Great points...hopefully the coaches use that as part of their motivation for the team to get over the middle tn hump or for this staff the second round hump....with that being said I really think we have a great team coming back and another 2nd round boot idc what team it is would be a huge let down im sure you feel the same way....and that would not be a successfull season...btw it wasnt my great coach [gaddis] ..it was our great coach who has our football program on the high it is on now... can we agree on that?? And I hope nothing but the best for the current staff and we all hope when you walk into the HS there will be a gold ball to look at next year and not just a refection of yourself in the glass.

Yes, we can agree on that statement. It was "our" great coach. Gaddis did a great job of getting our program "on the high it is on now". But, the coaches that are there now are continuing that winning. Last years team did exactly what Coach Gaddis last team did. They both won a bunch of games and lost in the second round to Gallatin and Hendersonville. My only point was don't throw rocks at a great coach and Man just because he hasn't won a state championship. Counce's team has done the same as Gaddis's team did. Maybe if we had been sent west in the playoffs we would have made it to the semis before losing to Hendersonville. Who knows and no one will ever know. The point is we were lucky to have coach Gaddis and we are lucky to have Coach Counce. Two great coaches that have and are leading our boys on the field.

Having been a coach for three decades (yes,I said it again), I continue to be amazed at the stupidity exhibited on these boards. Gaddis and his staff turned this program around. They went from nothing to one of the state's best. Counce has been here before and did a great job (yes, I said GREAT even though no gold ball). He is back again and had a very good season last year, with most of the starters returning next season. My point is this...what is to be gained by comparing the two? We are fortunate to have had Gaddis, and we are fortunate to have Counce. It's hard to win it all, and I do NOT believe that a coach can only be considered great if his team wins the state championship. That logic is sheer stupidity! This is high school football. You play with the players who attend your school. Alcoa wins the title nearly every year. They have a good coach but have you seen their players? Coaching is important, but has little to do with who attends your school. All of this said, Counce may be a GREAT coach even though he hasn't won a state title. Gaddis may be a GREAT coach, but not because he has won a state title. Comparing the two is just plain STUPID...let's be thankful for both of them.