Multiplier Question

bulldawgs#1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so incredibly sick and tired of reading about this subject. Alcoa has always accepted tuition students: when we won state championships in basketball and when we had losing seasons. As long as there has been an Alcoa High School (and Maryville High School), there have been tuition students. The only reason people are in such an uproar now (besides AHS & MHS being dominant in football) is that the privates have started playing with the publics and are whining about not being able to beat us in football. You don't hear us whining about golf, soccer, and tennis. That is definitely where the privates have the advantage, because to play those sports and to be good in them, you do have to "pay to play" through private lessons, course fees, and club teams.

Think about it.

This is my first reply...may be more later, but I am adding funiture to my luxury open-zoned estate today.....

"It's ALL about the "O." Open zoning that is."

Is it?

Then why are more open zone schools not cashing in on the OBVIOUS advantage that is there?

In order to be TRULY objective, one must look at the state as a whole and include all sports.

The first card I will play because GVK said I would is the obvious. There are, truly dozens of open zone schools systems in the state of Tennessee. Where are all their State Championships?

One poster claimed that we must only look at football because football is the only sport treated different by the TSSAA. Really?

Then why are some other sports divided up to combine A-AA and then AAA, D2 etc...?

Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and field (CC) and wrestling are all combined at the A-AA level. And what school do you think is dominating all of those sports?

UNNAMED SCHOOL "C" STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Golf, Boys -- 2010, 2009

Golf, Girls -- 2001

Soccer, Boys -- 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005,2004, 2003, 2000

Soccer, Girls -- 2009, 2008, 2006

Tennis, Boys -- 2010, 2001

In sports that are still divided up by A, AA and AAA the open zone schools are not having much success there either.

UNNAMED SCHOOL "G" STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

State Football Champs ñ 95, 99 & 01

State Baseball Champs ñ 88, 95, 97, 99, 04, 07, & 08

State Softball Champs ñ 96, 99, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, & 08

State Boys Golf Champs ñ 92, 01, & 05

State Girls Golf Champs ñ 07

We must also include any school with the name Magnet attached to their school name. Austin-East, Madison Academic, Liberty Tech, Pearl-Cohn, East Lit, Hume Fogg ETC....because they can draw students from beyond their schools' "boundaries" Are we going to put a multiplier on them???

I don't think so and that would never fly.

Between you and me, I don't know how the Jackson-Madison area has NOT come up with a football power under their school system.

Fair Market Value:

Alcoa's price tag at $500 is an exceptional value, But I think Maryville at $2200 is good as well. More opportunities there. Mayville has an outstanding reputation on the liberal/fine arts curriculum that no other school may have. Alcoa is limited in spacing and puts most of their educational funding into technology. Maryville turns out governors and the man behind the BCS, Roy Kramer. Alcoa has unlimited multimedia potential in web design, TV/journalism and computer programming.

Plus the fact that Maryville is three times the size of Alcoa in population, so obviously, they will have a larger tax base.

I will admit, however that I have asked for a tuition increase on more than one occasion and it has not passed muster.

(Jeez.... Page HS is $2392.00 this year.)

Also the phrase has been used "the Alcoa Model"

How does that differ from the Greeneville model, The Maryville model, the Page model, the Clarksville model, Polk, Loudon and yes, the Milan model.

(Sorry Milan fans...the policy is right there for all to see that under circumstances interpreted by your school board however they see fit, an out of district child (not nec athlete) can attend classes in MSSD) It is what it is. If you don't want it to be interpreted by people like me, then get rid of it.

"Well Bridge, Why can't we beat Alcoa if there is not an advantage given to you by open zone...?"

Am I the only person on the planet that sees 85 kids run out of that smoke filled helmet every Friday night??

Kids make a decision to play sports...some basketball, somee baseball...at Alcoa EVERYBODY wants to play football and numbers are the king of that sport.

The most glaring evidence of this is when Alcoa went to Bell Co. KY last season and they ran out 45 kids to take on the F5. Bell was an excellent football team but did not have the depth to stay with Alcoa for four quarters.

Same with CAK this year and in years past with Milan and Goodpasture...The regular season game with CAK was turned when a back-up DB (Cody Lewis) intercepted a pass to pretty much seal the game for us. Last week Landon Turbyfill was pressed into the starting position because of injuries and he came up with a fumble recovery to eseentialy start the rout. These kids play against the best in the state every day in practice, have a full slate of JV and freshman games...NO OTHER TEAM IN 3A can say that. Our freshmen have more game experience now than other teams sophomores and Juniors now. Numbers are the advantage, not open zone. In 2000 Alcoa only had about 50 kids on that team. but the numbers have steadily increased since then up to 90 kids last season to what you see today. That is why our marching band only has 25 members.

In Soccer, golf and tennis, there is hardly any to no substitutions...therefore you can go a long way with fewer kids. Basketball teams only have 12-13 members on it. I cannot see where any private school should not absolutely DOMINATE on the high school level. But this is where the magnet schools come in and you will have to fight this battle with them then.

Now what we can agree on....

Is the multiplier on D1 privates set too high??

Yes, absolutely. You cannot tell me that Quinn Epperly is 1.8 times the player that Darryl Warren is. (I use that example because they are the best players on their respective teams) But another exapmple would be Goodpasture's Kennan Reynolds is not 1.8 times the player that Loudon's Andrew Plemons is either just to give equal time.

But why is the difference so glaring in 3A???

Only 2 D1 privates qualified for the playoffs above 3A (David Lipscomb and Knox Catholic) Three qualified in 3A alone and two of them had to play each other in the first round. In 2A the privates did not fair much better. But it was not a bunch of open zones schools putting them out of the playoffs.

Point blank, you are arguing the wrong arguement. You don't need a multiplier on open zone schools because it just would not work for too many reasons. Now lobbying the TSSAA to reduce the multiplier would be something that I would back you on. Even do away with it, would be fine with me, but then "2A school guy" would have a problem with that.

Look, just because your favorite sport cannot get over the hump against a particular school, does that justify a witch hunt against said school.

Apparently the only sport that gets it right is bowling which has D1 and D2...thats it. And only one open zone school made it to the state tournament (Greeneville)I

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge

APB a mutlplier wood put Mairvul intwo 7A...??... :blink:

Butt hay that's ok eye guess ennyhow...Smyrna haid 2000 and sumthin stewdunts and Mairvul 1500 and sumthin stewdunts and eye guess we did ok.... :wacko:

Don't Dobbuns Bent-It, Cyunts Hill, Cleaveland, Oke Gridge etc. taik twoishun kids two????....... :bored:

http://kingsport.schoolfusion.us/modules/cms/pages.phtml?sessionid=7b4bc1f99be26115add9948437894079&pageid=119370&sessionid=02d358a08b85a8b90f168b9287f6a077

http://www.jcschools.org/schoolboard/boardpolicy/Section6/6.204.pdf

http://www.tsba.net/production/detail.asp?iFile=1675&iBoard=5&iType=6

http://www.ortn.edu/Download.asp?L=2&LMID=186896&PN=DocumentUploads&DivisionID=4667&DepartmentID=4549&SubDepartmentID=&SubP=&Act=Download&T=1&I=71027

Edited by STARSNBARS

Now what we can agree on....

Is the multiplier on D1 privates set too high??

Yes, absolutely. You cannot tell me that Quinn Epperly is 1.8 times the player that Darryl Warren is. (I use that example because they are the best players on their respective teams) But another exapmple would be Goodpasture's Kennan Reynolds is not 1.8 times the player that Loudon's Andrew Plemons is either just to give equal time.

But why is the difference so glaring in 3A???

Only 2 D1 privates qualified for the playoffs above 3A (David Lipscomb and Knox Catholic) Three qualified in 3A alone and two of them had to play each other in the first round. In 2A the privates did not fair much better. But it was not a bunch of open zones schools putting them out of the playoffs.

Point blank, you are arguing the wrong arguement. You don't need a multiplier on open zone schools because it just would not work for too many reasons. Now lobbying the TSSAA to reduce the multiplier would be something that I would back you on. Even do away with it, would be fine with me, but then "2A school guy" would have a problem with that.

Look, just because your favorite sport cannot get over the hump against a particular school, does that justify a witch hunt against said school.

Apparently the only sport that gets it right is bowling which has D1 and D2...thats it. And only one open zone school made it to the state tournament (Greeneville)I

I can only imagine all the private school hate that would happen if CAK landed in 2A...I can also think of the run we would have had to this point :flower:

I can only imagine all the private school hate that would happen if CAK landed in 2A...I can also think of the run we may have had to this point :flower:

Ron...I mean Abijah, you are out of order.... :flower:

But I did take the time to phix your post.

More on the numbers game...

Roster size from this weekend.

Smyna 84

Evil Empire 96

Greeneville 70

Trezvant 35

Alcoa 81

Goodpasture 68

Signal Mtn 60

Trinity Chr 32

Hendersonville actually out number Columbia 68-59.

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge

Excuse my 'out of turn' post APB, but BD1 and I have both asked you to be specific in which of Milans policy numbers and item numbers you see as 'open zone'. Since today is 'your' day...please respond.

And for those still asking why most people are focusing on Alcoa, please refer to post #2 when APB started calling out specific programs.

And the others asking why we aren't focusing on other sports...well 'cause this is the FOOTBALL thread.

And what school do you think is dominating all of those sports?

UNNAMED SCHOOL "C" STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Golf, Boys -- 2010, 2009

Golf, Girls -- 2001

Soccer, Boys -- 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005,2004, 2003, 2000

Soccer, Girls -- 2009, 2008, 2006

Tennis, Boys -- 2010, 2001

Look, just because your favorite sport cannot get over the hump against a particular school, does that justify a witch hunt

This sums it up!

Edited by BCsportsfan

Excuse my 'out of turn' post APB, but BD1 and I have both asked you to be specific in which of Milans policy numbers and item numbers you see as 'open zone'. Since today is 'your' day...please respond.

And for those still asking why most people are focusing on Alcoa, please refer to post #2 when APB started calling out specific programs.

And the others asking why we aren't focusing on other sports...well 'cause this is the FOOTBALL thread.

Here you go sweetheart...

milanssd.png

For further review...Milan OOZ poicy.