greeneville vs alcoa? could it be? who would go? and who would win?

rhetoric

I don't see it that way.

1. Alcoa (did everything to deserve the #1 spot)

2. Maryville (may not be the best Maryville team ever, yet won a 6A Championship)

3. Greeneville (IMO given the same situation as Smyrna in the championship game, I think they would have outscored maryville in the second half, due to the injury to the QB) Smyrna held Maryville to 2 points in the second half and still lost.

4. Smyrna or Blackman

5. Blackman or Smyrna

6. I think alot of teams could go here, but, I can't see it being CAK alone, South Pitt, Oak Ridge, Columbia just to name a few could be ranked here IMO.

I understand that you stated this is your opinion and everyone has to respect that. But, like I said earlier, people dont understand how good Alcoa and Maryville's defenses are! Greeneville might not have scored as many as Smyrna did on Maryville for the whole game. Maryville played a sub-par game(still won) and Smyrna is nationally ranked with a tailback that is committed to D-1 Pittsburgh. In my opinion and by looking at the schedules played and watching the teams play...Greeneville is at best 4th and probably at best 5th on this list. As far as #6 goes, CAK would beat South Pitt, Oak Ridge, and Columbia even on their field this year. I dont see South Pitt or Oak Ridge being in the state top 10 even! Both are good teams, just not as far as all classes go!

Looks like you are "hypothetically" covering your butt....

Covering my butt for what? I put a hypothetical situation for BOTH teams (I made it bigger so you can read it). Last year Alcoa destroyed Maryville but Maryville went on to lose the 6A championship. As a fan, it didnt feel that great because even though Maryville played for a title it wasnt one of the storied State Championship teams. Looking back to this year, Maryville ran through 6A after being beaten by Alcoa. It feels more special because as the 3A state champions you can say, "hey we beat the best team in the biggest classification". I could take pot shots and say Greeneville doesnt know anything about thats because A)They never play anyone and B)They've only won 1 championship to compare a magical season to, but Im not going to go there. Ive got nothing to hide. Ill openly say that this year or next Alcoa would beat Greeneville by 3 scores and Ill back it up until proven wrong...however I dont think I will be. And dont worry about "ending" any streak Alcoa is on. If any team beats them it will be Maryville and thats 3/4 weeks before Greeneville even gets their shot.

I'd definitely go watch these 2 teams play. I think both were outstanding football teams and well deserving of their championships in 2010. After watching both play this year I believe Alcoa would have prevailed. That is simply consistant with my belief that Alcoa was the best team in all classifications THIS YEAR. I don't think Alcoa would have destroyed the Devils, but I do believe they would have won the game. As for next year, who knows with all the graduating players from both teams. Should be a good game. At this point I believe Maryville will be the best team in all classifications next year based on the number of returning players and the young talent coming into the program and of course under the control of GQ.

On all points...agreed :thumb:

Covering my butt for what? I put a hypothetical situation for BOTH teams (I made it bigger so you can read it). Last year Alcoa destroyed Maryville but Maryville went on to lose the 6A championship. As a fan, it didnt feel that great because even though Maryville played for a title it wasnt one of the storied State Championship teams. Looking back to this year, Maryville ran through 6A after being beaten by Alcoa. It feels more special because as the 3A state champions you can say, "hey we beat the best team in the biggest classification". I could take pot shots and say Greeneville doesnt know anything about thats because A)They never play anyone and B)They've only won 1 championship to compare a magical season to, but Im not going to go there. Ive got nothing to hide. Ill openly say that this year or next Alcoa would beat Greeneville by 3 scores and Ill back it up until proven wrong...however I dont think I will be. And dont worry about "ending" any streak Alcoa is on. If any team beats them it will be Maryville and thats 3/4 weeks before Greeneville even gets their shot.

barb, goddard is a equal opportunity poster who does not cut the F5 any slack. So I don't beleive that his post was to cover his butt-hypothetically or otherwise :flower:

barb, goddard is a equal opportunity poster who does not cut the F5 any slack. So I don't beleive that his post was to cover his butt-hypothetically or otherwise :flower:

Thank you sir. While I might be sitting at work right now wearing an Alcoa shirt using an Alcoa themed screen name, Im not one to "toot the horn" so to speak. Even if I do get flack from some of my fellow Alcoa posters. I always feel there is a need for improvement in any of my favorite teams for all sports. Even if we are 12 Time State Champions on a 40+ game winning streak.

I understand that you stated this is your opinion and everyone has to respect that. But, like I said earlier, people dont understand how good Alcoa and Maryville's defenses are! Greeneville might not have scored as many as Smyrna did on Maryville for the whole game. Maryville played a sub-par game(still won) and Smyrna is nationally ranked with a tailback that is committed to D-1 Pittsburgh. In my opinion and by looking at the schedules played and watching the teams play...Greeneville is at best 4th and probably at best 5th on this list. As far as #6 goes, CAK would beat South Pitt, Oak Ridge, and Columbia even on their field this year. I dont see South Pitt or Oak Ridge being in the state top 10 even! Both are good teams, just not as far as all classes go!

We're not going to agree and that's OK, but. I did see Maryville play three times, and Alcoa three times, CAK twice and Greenevile once. Alcoa and Maryville had a good defense, but it was the offense of both teams that made them special. I am not ALL KNOWING when it comes to football, but, I do know a little, and have been told so, by players and parents. With that said, I don't agree, Greeneville had a very talented offense, I don't care who was on their schedule,and I don't think you can penalize their talent on offense because of their schedule, and they did set a new state record for points scored in a season to boot. Not only that, but, they had pretty good overall team speed on the defensive side of the ball too! And after seeing CAK play twice and looking at their schedule, I think you have them rated too high, I think there is a handfull of 5-A and 6-A teams across the state who would beat them.

Thank you sir. While I might be sitting at work right now wearing an Alcoa shirt using an Alcoa themed screen name, Im not one to "toot the horn" so to speak. Even if I do get flack from some of my fellow Alcoa posters. I always feel there is a need for improvement in any of my favorite teams for all sports. Even if we are 12 Time State Champions on a 40+ game winning streak.

As some would say "fair and balanced" :thumb:

I have watched the Greeneville champ game several times. The Devils lose some BIG TIME players. Losing Carmichael, Spradlin, and Story......will have a big impact on the offensive balance and running game. It appears that most of the WR's return...but again it was the run game that made the offense click. No way will it be close to this season.

I already know how Coach Nix will shut down the Greeneville passing game! :thumb:

I have watched the Greeneville champ game several times. The Devils lose some BIG TIME players. Losing Carmichael, Spradlin, and Story......will have a big impact on the offensive balance and running game. It appears that most of the WR's return...but again it was the run game that made the offense click. No way will it be close to this season.

I already know how Coach Nix will shut down the Greeneville passing game! :thumb:

Greeneville will pass a lot more next year but Stewart and schufler can pound that rock schufler can score from any where and ogle will be there to kick field goals. The defense only loses 3 players also this game will be interesting but don't over look them.

Greeneville will pass a lot more next year but Stewart and schufler can pound that rock schufler can score from any where and ogle will be there to kick field goals. The defense only loses 3 players also this game will be interesting but don't over look them.

I think we will see Walker Troy carrying the ball as well...And we might be losing 3 on defense but returning a whole bunch...Rell, Mel and Rambo and adding another Rollins. Plus they have all seen significant playing time. The o-line will be stout, although Cope will be tough to replace at center.

• Upvote 1

Again, just like college, this is why we need a playoff system! LMAO.

Coulda woulda shoulda.....as they lame announcers always say "that's why they tee it up every week". Ask every #1 team in college this year about weaker opponents!

This year has ended...next year will be with different players and different schemes and the better team will come out on top....but we can all throw a tailgate party at the State Championships next year.

Again, just like college, this is why we need a playoff system! LMAO.

Coulda woulda shoulda.....as they lame announcers always say "that's why they tee it up every week". Ask every #1 team in college this year about weaker opponents!

This year has ended...next year will be with different players and different schemes and the better team will come out on top....but we can all throw a tailgate party at the State Championships next year.

While I do agree the BCS system seems like a joke. A playoff system in college football wouldnt work either unless it consists of ONLY conference Champions. Thats another debate though. Greeneville claim anything they want but simply put Alcoa and Maryville are ranked in the Nation and they will get the nod as being the two best teams, doesnt matter if anyone likes it or not. 3-Jesus is all opinion, if you want to put Greeneville 3rd or 129th than thats up to you.