greeneville vs alcoa? could it be? who would go? and who would win?

rhetoric

No, I believe he is just pointing out that it seems like beating Alcoa would be more important to the Greeneville faithful, than actually winning a state championship. Will Greeneville beat Alcoa next year? I guess we will see soon. However, I do not believe it will happen next year and definately do not believe it would have happened this year. Alcoa was kind of a big and quick offensive team this year. Next year, we will still have one of the best lines in the state regardless of class and will be fast...I mean FAST!!!!! I agree with above post that Maryville will have one of their better teams in several years and will be a great team. I predict at worse, Alcoa will be 14-1 and 2011 state champions next year. However, we do get Maryville at Goddard Field! Every team in the state has a chance to beat whoever they play...in saying that, I feel if we lose a game next year, it will be to the Rebels and not the Devils!

"Say there is a fall off. Is it still special to Greeneville to think "hey we beat Alcoa" even though its not as talented of an Alcoa team as they have been?"

I believe the implication is the only way Greeneville beats Alcoa is a "down" year...The dude is clearly hedging his bets.

I might answer his question this way. Aside from Maryville,whoever knocks off Alcoa after the run they've had deserves to feel "special"...I'm pretty sure a "down year" for Alcoa will still be pretty stiff competition. Of course the F5 fans will still use it as an excuse...you know "shoulda played us last year". We Devil fans are looking forward to hosting Alcoa at Burley...we have pretty nice digs.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?ID=84257

Best ever in Northeast Tennessee (does Jefferson County '87 qualify as Northeast Tennessee?) and one of the best ever in Tennessee, according to this writer. No doubt Greeneville was great but points scored don't mean everything especially with some of their competition.

I read this article as well, and I laughed my arse off! By this guys rationale, the '97 TC team was the best high school team the state of Tennessee has ever seen, until this year that is. <_<

I agree Barb! He's a moron. :wacko:

Fritz..... what a joke , whatever happened to professional journalism ?

" However , Greeneville was better than Alcoa this year. Alcoa didn’t have a player like William Carmichael, and everything else was pretty much even. "

I can picture this guy wearing a Greeneville cheerleading outfit while he's typing this with one hand because he has his little Devil's pitchfork in the other hand ... absolutely hilarious . Congrats to Greeneville for winning their State Championship .

Congrats to Greeneville, Alcoa, Maryville and Webb for bringing state championships to East Tenn, I have been fortunate enough to see all of them play except Webb, I know this is not going to be popular with some people, but if i was rating the other 3 teams it would be Alcoa, Maryville and Greeneville in that order, that being said i believe these 3 teams are the best in the state regardless of classification, would love to see alcoa and greeneville get together, that would be 1 heck of a game.

1. Alcoa

2. Maryville

3. Smyrna

4. Blackman

5. Greeneville

6. CAK

I believe 5 and 6 could be a good game and might be flip flopped. That should be a pretty good top 6 in the state regardless of classes.

This is a good list but Greenville could play with any of the teams. East TN clearly had the best FB in TN this year. And Webb is not even on this list (or Loudon, Polk, Tyner).

1. Alcoa

2. Maryville

3. Smyrna

4. Blackman

5. Greeneville

6. CAK

I believe 5 and 6 could be a good game and might be flip flopped. That should be a pretty good top 6 in the state regardless of classes.

I don't see it that way.

1. Alcoa (did everything to deserve the #1 spot)

2. Maryville (may not be the best Maryville team ever, yet won a 6A Championship)

3. Greeneville (IMO given the same situation as Smyrna in the championship game, I think they would have outscored maryville in the second half, due to the injury to the QB) Smyrna held Maryville to 2 points in the second half and still lost.

4. Smyrna or Blackman

5. Blackman or Smyrna

6. I think alot of teams could go here, but, I can't see it being CAK alone, South Pitt, Oak Ridge, Columbia just to name a few could be ranked here IMO.

Edited by catback

I believe Greeneville is a really good football team, but playing with and beating are two different things! I think the top 3 for sure, and maybe the top 4, are in a class of their own...then the next 2 or 3. If I had to predict scores from the Maryville and Alcoa vs Greeneville games this year, it would be something like...Maryville 45 Greeneville 21...Alcoa 49 Greeneville 28. This is no disrespect at Greeneville what so ever...like I said, they are really good. Alcoa and Maryville by far have the best defense that Greeneville has seen this year!