greeneville vs alcoa? could it be? who would go? and who would win?

rhetoric

Let me first say, I'm neither an Alcoa or Greeneville fan/supporter. However, both Alcoa and Greeneville had great teams this year. They are both to be congratulated on outstanding seasons. Based mainly on watching the championship games on TV, I would say they had the top 2 teams in the state (yes, even better than Maryville). I would further opine that head-to-head Greeneville would have come out on top of a game that would likely be decided by 7 points or less either way (assuming the game was played at the end of this season). The sad thing is, we will never know! I've heard they are now scheduled to play each other the next 2 years. Regardless of the outcomes of those games, it will not settle this year's debate because both teams will be different next year and the year after. It's hard to fathom the consistent success displayed by Alcoa over the past decade. I would expect no less in the coming years. The same goes for Maryville. Maybe the past 2 years is the beginning of a similar run for Greeneville. Time will tell. As for the national rankings, anyone that follows those things realizes that significant weight is placed on past year's performance. Consequently, I don't think that is an accurate measure of how Greeneville stacked up against Alcoa or Maryville this year. Just my opinion - most of us have them and we're all entitled to them...

Let me first say, I'm neither an Alcoa or Greeneville fan/supporter. However, both Alcoa and Greeneville had great teams this year. They are both to be congratulated on outstanding seasons. Based mainly on watching the championship games on TV, I would say they had the top 2 teams in the state (yes, even better than Maryville). I would further opine that head-to-head Greeneville would have come out on top of a game that would likely be decided by 7 points or less either way (assuming the game was played at the end of this season). The sad thing is, we will never know! I've heard they are now scheduled to play each other the next 2 years. Regardless of the outcomes of those games, it will not settle this year's debate because both teams will be different next year and the year after. It's hard to fathom the consistent success displayed by Alcoa over the past decade. I would expect no less in the coming years. The same goes for Maryville. Maybe the past 2 years is the beginning of a similar run for Greeneville. Time will tell. As for the national rankings, anyone that follows those things realizes that significant weight is placed on past year's performance. Consequently, I don't think that is an accurate measure of how Greeneville stacked up against Alcoa or Maryville this year. Just my opinion - most of us have them and we're all entitled to them...

Darn it , another IGL (Imaginary Game League ) loss for Coach Quarles and the Rebels ! It's such a shame that we always seem to totally lose our focus and get so dominated this time of year ! I believe that makes us 0-10 so far in this League ... that's just not getting it done !! Totally embarrassing ! :roflol:

Darn it , another IGL (Imaginary Game League ) loss for Coach Quarles and the Rebels ! It's such a shame that we always seem to totally lose our focus and get so dominated this time of year ! I believe that makes us 0-10 so far in this League ... that's just not getting it done !! Totally embarrassing ! :roflol:

Time to cut Quarles and find a coach that can win these games. Such a shame because he did so well in the real one.

Maybe the Easter Bunny can handle the imaginary situations.

I posted this in another thread but will repost for "etownsparky" and some others on here? If you think Greeneville is better than Alcoa or Maryville after reading below, than there is no getting through to you guys! It is not even a close comparison. After researching this, I'm not real sure that Greeneville would have been a top 3 seed in the 3A playoffs! Yes, they are really good, but if they are as good as some of you think...is it the Citrus Bowl or the Orange Bowl they are playing in?

Previous post in another thread:

I agree! I am not trying to rain on anybodys parade and once again, Greeneville is a really good team. However, to say that Greeneville is as good as Maryville and then throw in Webb(are you serious???) too, is absurd! Maryville would beat either of these two by about 3 touchdowns on their own field. As stated earlier, I think Greeneville is a legit top 10 and probably top 6 team in the state regardless of class, but there is a gap between Alcoa, Maryville, Smyrna, and probably Blackman before the rest of the best. I have heard several times that "Greeneville is the best in the state regardless of class", "Greeneville can play with Alcoa", "Greeneville can play with Maryville", "Greeneville would score more on Maryville than Smyrna did", and the now message board famous Mr. Fritz's uneducated comment: " However , Greeneville was better than Alcoa this year. Alcoa didn’t have a player like William Carmichael, and everything else was pretty much even."????? Do they actually let this guy post things in the newspaper around the Tri-Cities area? Anyway, lets look a little deaper at the two teams:

Who Greeneville played, with the teams record,and some notes:

1. Jefferson County (6-5) Only 1 win v/s a team with a winning record! Combined records of Jefferson County's opponents in games they won: 22 wins and 40 losses!

2. Sullivan South (6-5) Greeneville won 35-20 - Combined records of Sullivan South's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 36 losses!

3. Elizabethton (9-5) During the regular season, Betsy had 6 wins and only 2 of those came against teams with winning record...the other 4 teams combined record was 5 wins and 35 losses. All together during regular season, the combined record of opponents in Betsy's wins was: 20 wins and 42 losses!

4. South Greene (6-5) South Greene beat 1 team this year with a winning record and the combined records for all teams that South Greene beat was: 15 wins and 46 losses!

5. Tennessee High (6-5) Tennessee High had 1 win v/s a team with a winning record(team was 6-5) this year and combined record of teams that Tennessee High beat this year was: 17 wins and 44 losses!

6. West Greene (7-4) Won 3 games v/s teams with a winning record this year...Claiborne(7-4), South Greene(6-5), and Cloudland(6-5) whom are very own little Greenback High destroyed 30-8 in the 1st round of the 1A playoffs! Combined record of West Greene's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 46 losses!

7. Cumberland Gap (2-8) The two teams they beat were Union Co(1-9) and Cosby(2-8)! Combined record of the two teams Cumberland Gap beat was: 3 wins and 17 losses!

8. Chuckey Doak (7-4) Chuckey Doak had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record and the combined record of Chuckey's opponents that they beat this year was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

9. Grainger County (2-8) Grainger's 2 wins on the year came against Union Co(2-8) and Cumberland Gap(1-9)...Combined record of teams in their two wins: 3 wins and 17 losses!

10. Claiborne (7-4) Claiborne had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record: Chuckey Doak(7-4) and South Greene(6-5). Combined record of opponents in all of Claiborne's wins was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

Combined record of Greeneville opponents: 58 wins and 53 losses

** Of those 58 wins Greenevilles opponents had, the combined record of the teams they beat to get the 58 wins was 180 wins and 388 losses. **

Who Alcoa played, with team's record, and some notes:

1. Middlesboro, Ky. (6-6) Made it to the 2nd round of Kentucky state football playoffs!

2. Maryville (14-1) Tennessee 6A State Champions...7 out of 10 regular season opponents made playoffs in 2010! Beat West 35-6 who missed the 5A state championship by 1 game in a 7-0 loss to Columbia, beat Oak Ridge twice whom also came within 1 game of 6A state championship, beat Bearden and their UT football commitment twice by a combined score of 86-36, and beat nationally ranked Smyrna in 6A state champioship!

3. Loudon (9-3) All 3 of Loudon's losses came to either CAK or Alcoa. Alcoa beat them twice! Loudon also beat Howard whom beat Greeneville's first round playoff opponent East ridge!

4. Fulton (7-5) Alcoa won 49-0...Greeneville also played Fulton and won 35-0!

5. Scott Co. (7-5) Of Scott's 3 losses, 3 of them came to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon! Scott Co made it into the playoffs and lost 45-48 to 11-2 Gibbs High!

6. Howard (8-3) 2 of Howard's 3 losses were to Alcoa and Loudon!

7. Kingston (6-5) 4 of the 5 losses were to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon!

8. Stone Memorial (3-7) All of Stone Memorial's losses except 1 came against teams that made the playoffs in 2010!

9. McMinn Central (0-10) Not a very good football team this year...they made the playoffs last year and believe they finished 8-3, but graduated a lot of players!

10. CAK (11-2) Both losses coming against Alcoa. CAK is arguably a top 10 team in the state regardless of class in 2010!

Combined record of Alcoa's opponents in 2010: 71 wins and 47 losses!

** 8 of Alcoa's regular season opponents made the playoffs in 2010...If you take out the losses to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon to all of Alcoa's opponents, they would have a combined record of 71 wins and 27 losses meaning Alcoa's opponents won 3/4 of the games they played against everyone except the big 3 of 3A football!

Greeneville scored 748 points and gave up 136 points in 2010...average of 49.8 ppg offense and 9.1 ppg defense!

Alcoa scored 699 points and gave up 142 points in 2010...average of 46.6 ppg offense and 9.5 defense!

Maryville scored 551 points and gave up 187 points in 2010...average of 36.7 ppg offense and 12.5 ppg defense!

Alcoa and Greeneville common opponents: Fulton and Elizabethton!

Greeneville - 35 and Fulton - 0

Alcoa - 49 and Fulton - 0

Greeneville - 55 and Elizabethton - 14

Alcoa - 55 and Elizabethton - 20

** I was not at the Greeneville/Elizabethton game so cant tell you on that one, but in the Alcoa/Elizabethton game, Alcoa starters put 49 up with about half of the 2nd qtr remaining and then took a seat. Most of the starters came out of the locker room after half time without their pads on and/or in sweats! **

Again, congradulations to Greeneville on a great season and a really good football team! However, I believe if Greeneville had to play the schedules that Alcoa or Maryville played, they would not be undefeated, nor have a scoring record, and their ppg stats would not be as good as Alcoa's or Maryville's against the same schedules that we both played. I think the above stats, records, and info greatly support that fact!

** I would like to see what Alcoa or Maryville's state scoring record would be against the schedule that Greeneville played...and defense for that matter too! Alcoa and maryville probably would not have given up more than 80 points all year with that schedule.

Once again, I want to state this is not a slam on Greeneville or anyone else for that matter...Greeneville is a very good football team and deserves a lot of credit. They are and always will be the 2010 4A Tennessee state champions! I am just comparing the 3 teams since that is what a lot of Greeneville fans(and that newspaper guy) seem to want to do...however, there is not really a comparison between Alcoa and Maryville(other than all 3 are state champions in 2010) against Greeneville as the above has really showed us!

I posted that in another thread but will repost for "etownsparky" and some others on here? If you think Greeneville is better than Alcoa or Maryville after reading the above, than there is no getting through to you guys! It is not even a close comparison. After researching the above, I'm not real sure that Greeneville would have been a top 3 seed in the 3A playoffs! Yes, they are really good, but if they are as good as some of you think...is it the Citrus Bowl or the Orange Bowl they are playing in?

I posted this in another thread but will repost for "etownsparky" and some others on here? If you think Greeneville is better than Alcoa or Maryville after reading below, than there is no getting through to you guys! It is not even a close comparison. After researching this, I'm not real sure that Greeneville would have been a top 3 seed in the 3A playoffs! Yes, they are really good, but if they are as good as some of you think...is it the Citrus Bowl or the Orange Bowl they are playing in?

I agree! I am not trying to rain on anybodys parade and once again, Greeneville is a really good team. However, to say that Greeneville is as good as Maryville and then throw in Webb(are you serious???) too, is absurd! Maryville would beat either of these two by about 3 touchdowns on their own field. As stated earlier, I think Greeneville is a legit top 10 and probably top 6 team in the state regardless of class, but there is a gap between Alcoa, Maryville, Smyrna, and probably Blackman before the rest of the best. I have heard several times that "Greeneville is the best in the state regardless of class", "Greeneville can play with Alcoa", "Greeneville can play with Maryville", "Greeneville would score more on Maryville than Smyrna did", and the now message board famous Mr. Fritz's uneducated comment: " However , Greeneville was better than Alcoa this year. Alcoa didn’t have a player like William Carmichael, and everything else was pretty much even."????? Do they actually let this guy post things in the newspaper around the Tri-Cities area? Anyway, lets look a little deaper at the two teams:

1. Jefferson County (6-5) Only 1 win v/s a team with a winning record! Combined records of Jefferson County's opponents in games they won: 22 wins and 40 losses!

2. Sullivan South (6-5) Greeneville won 35-20 - Combined records of Sullivan South's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 36 losses!

3. Elizabethton (9-5) During the regular season, Betsy had 6 wins and only 2 of those came against teams with winning record...the other 4 teams combined record was 5 wins and 35 losses. All together during regular season, the combined record of opponents in Betsy's wins was: 20 wins and 42 losses!

4. South Greene (6-5) South Greene beat 1 team this year with a winning record and the combined records for all teams that South Greene beat was: 15 wins and 46 losses!

5. Tennessee High (6-5) Tennessee High had 1 win v/s a team with a winning record(team was 6-5) this year and combined record of teams that Tennessee High beat this year was: 17 wins and 44 losses!

6. West Greene (7-4) Won 3 games v/s teams with a winning record this year...Claiborne(7-4), South Greene(6-5), and Cloudland(6-5) whom are very own little Greenback High destroyed 30-8 in the 1st round of the 1A playoffs! Combined record of West Greene's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 46 losses!

7. Cumberland Gap (2-8) The two teams they beat were Union Co(1-9) and Cosby(2-8)! Combined record of the two teams Cumberland Gap beat was: 3 wins and 17 losses!

8. Chuckey Doak (7-4) Chuckey Doak had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record and the combined record of Chuckey's opponents that they beat this year was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

9. Grainger County (2-8) Grainger's 2 wins on the year came against Union Co(2-8) and Cumberland Gap(1-9)...Combined record of teams in their two wins: 3 wins and 17 losses!

10. Claiborne (7-4) Claiborne had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record: Chuckey Doak(7-4) and South Greene(6-5). Combined record of opponents in all of Claiborne's wins was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

** Of those 58 wins Greenevilles opponents had, the combined record of the teams they beat to get the 58 wins was 180 wins and 388 losses. **

1. Middlesboro, Ky. (6-6) Made it to the 2nd round of Kentucky state football playoffs!

2. Maryville (14-1) Tennessee 6A State Champions...7 out of 10 regular season opponents made playoffs in 2010! Beat West 35-6 who missed the 5A state championship by 1 game in a 7-0 loss to Columbia, beat Oak Ridge twice whom also came within 1 game of 6A state championship, beat Bearden and their UT football commitment twice by a combined score of 86-36, and beat nationally ranked Smyrna in 6A state champioship!

3. Loudon (9-3) All 3 of Loudon's losses came to either CAK or Alcoa. Alcoa beat them twice! Loudon also beat Howard whom beat Greeneville's first round playoff opponent East ridge!

5. Scott Co. (7-5) Of Scott's 3 losses, 3 of them came to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon! Scott Co made it into the playoffs and lost 45-48 to 11-2 Gibbs High!

8. Stone Memorial (3-7) All of Stone Memorial's losses except 1 came against teams that made the playoffs in 2010!

9. McMinn Central (0-10) Not a very good football team this year...they made the playoffs last year and believe they finished 8-3, but graduated a lot of players!

10. CAK (11-2) Both losses coming against Alcoa. CAK is arguably a top 10 team in the state regardless of class in 2010!

** 8 of Alcoa's regular season opponents made the playoffs in 2010...If you take out the losses to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon to all of Alcoa's opponents, they would have a combined record of 71 wins and 27 losses meaning Alcoa's opponents won 3/4 of the games they played against everyone except the big 3 of 3A football!

Greeneville scored 748 points and gave up 136 points in 2010...average of 49.8 ppg offense and 9.1 ppg defense!

Alcoa scored 699 points and gave up 142 points in 2010...average of 46.6 ppg offense and 9.5 defense!

Maryville scored 551 points and gave up 187 points in 2010...average of 36.7 ppg offense and 12.5 ppg defense!

** I was not at the Greeneville/Elizabethton game so cant tell you on that one, but in the Alcoa/Elizabethton game, Alcoa starters put 49 up with about half of the 2nd qtr remaining and then took a seat. Most of the starters came out of the locker room after half time without their pads on and/or in sweats! **

Again, congradulations to Greeneville on a great season and a really good football team! However, I believe if Greeneville had to play the schedules that Alcoa or Maryville played, they would not be undefeated, nor have a scoring record, and their ppg stats would not be as good as Alcoa's or Maryville's against the same schedules that we both played. I think the above stats, records, and info greatly support that fact!

** I would like to see what Alcoa or Maryville's state scoring record would be against the schedule that Greeneville played...and defense for that matter too! Alcoa and maryville probably would not have given up more than 80 points all year with that schedule.

Once again, I want to state this is not a slam on Greeneville or anyone else for that matter...Greeneville is a very good football team and deserves a lot of credit. They are and always will be the 2010 4A Tennessee state champions! I am just comparing the 3 teams since that is what a lot of Greeneville fans(and that newspaper guy) seem to want to do...however, there is not really a comparison between Alcoa and Maryville(other than all 3 are state champions in 2010) against Greeneville as the above has really showed us!

I posted that in another thread but will repost for "etownsparky" and some others on here? If you think Greeneville is better than Alcoa or Maryville after reading the above, than there is no getting through to you guys! It is not even a close comparison. After researching the above, I'm not real sure that Greeneville would have been a top 3 seed in the 3A playoffs! Yes, they are really good, but if they are as good as some of you think...is it the Citrus Bowl or the Orange Bowl they are playing in?

Everyone has their own oppinion on who would win this game this year. Comparing schedules are not going to show either team to be better its like trying to compare apples and oranges. Its like saying Well Greeneville beat Elizabethon by more so they would win or Alcoa saying well we beat Fulton by more so we would win....football doesn't work that way. Its a lot about how you match up with a team. The only teams Alcoa plays during season is Maryville and CAK. Greeneville like Alcoa didn't play their starters in the 2nd half of most games throughout the year. To say its not a close comparison is dumb. Both have explosive offenses and Stingy Defenses so who would know what would have happened. I would say it would be 10 to 7 point game going either way.

You can post all the comparisons that you want and make as many cheap comments about Citrus and Orange Bowls as you deem necessary. I have given both Alcoa and Maryville their due props. They both had great teams this year and have had unprecedented success (as far as I'm aware) over the past 1 to 2 decades. I stated an opinion. To be honest, I doubt Greeneville will be able to sustain that kind of dominance in 4A. But to say they would have been a 3 seed at best in 3A this year is ludicrous. Furthermore, to claim the comparison is not even close is even more ridiculous. For some reason, you Blount Countians can't accept compliments and winning state titles is apparently not enough. You have to be touted as the best ever, unbeatable, no one else is even close! From what I saw, Smyrna, Maryville, Alcoa and Greeneville were the 4 best teams (excluding DII because I didn't see any of them play). I don't need anyone to "get through to me". I've been around for a while and seen many a sporting events. It's still my opinion Greeneville had the best team this year. You can disagree and malign all you want. Personally, I don't see the necessity. BTW, as far as I know neither Alcoa or Maryville are playing in the Citrus or Orange Bowls either...

Great post!

You can post all the comparisons that you want and make as many cheap comments about Citrus and Orange Bowls as you deem necessary. I have given both Alcoa and Maryville their due props. They both had great teams this year and have had unprecedented success (as far as I'm aware) over the past 1 to 2 decades. I stated an opinion. To be honest, I doubt Greeneville will be able to sustain that kind of dominance in 4A. But to say they would have been a 3 seed at best in 3A this year is ludicrous. Furthermore, to claim the comparison is not even close is even more ridiculous. For some reason, you Blount Countians can't accept compliments and winning state titles is apparently not enough. You have to be touted as the best ever, unbeatable, no one else is even close! From what I saw, Smyrna, Maryville, Alcoa and Greeneville were the 4 best teams (excluding DII because I didn't see any of them play). I don't need anyone to "get through to me". I've been around for a while and seen many a sporting events. It's still my opinion Greeneville had the best team this year. You can disagree and malign all you want. Personally, I don't see the necessity. BTW, as far as I know neither Alcoa or Maryville are playing in the Citrus or Orange Bowls either...

No they are not but then again none of us blount citians need nor want your hollow compliments. I will speak for the 6A bunch, Greeneville would not have made it past the second round in 6A AND THAT IS MY OPINION. We listened to the same crap from you guys 4 yrs ago , how great you were and how you were going to spank us and GO TO THE 'BORO instead. We came to your place and , well you know you that turned out. :thumb: Be happy with your victory, congrats!

Edited by Philoneusesawt

No they are not but then again none of us blount citians need nor want your hollow compliments. I will speak for the 6A bunch, Greeneville would not have made it past the second round in 6A AND THAT I

S MY OPINION. We listened to the same crap from you guys 4 yrs ago , how great you were and how you were going to spank us and GO TO THE 'BORO instead. We came to your place and , well you know you that turned out. :thumb: Be happy with your victory, congrats!

Who would go? Who would win? ........... I say who the heck cares we'll find out next year

No they are not but then again none of us blount citians need nor want your hollow compliments. I will speak for the 6A bunch, Greeneville would not have made it past the second round in 6A AND THAT IS MY OPINION. We listened to the same crap from you guys 4 yrs ago , how great you were and how you were going to spank us and GO TO THE 'BORO instead. We came to your place and , well you know you that turned out. :thumb: Be happy with your victory, congrats!

As I indicated in my post, I am not from Greeneville and am not a Greeneville fan. Consequently, you didn't listen to any "crap" from me 4 years ago about anything. I will say that 4 years ago Greeneville didn't have a team even worthy to compare to this year's team. I have seen them play some over the last 20 years and I believe this year is by far the best team they have had. That is my opinion. The great thing about opinions is that we can all have them. It amazes me that Blount Countians can't even accept compliments without being offended. I suppose the only acceptable comments are that Alcoa and Maryville are the greatest and no one else even compares! Anything less is hollow. Furthermore, the only other teams that can garner any smidgen of respect or be mentioned in the same conversation are those fortunate (or unfortunate) to have played the great Alcoa or Maryville. To suggest that any other team could be considered or discussed in the same light is heresy. All hail to the Blount County kingdom from all the peasants near and far!

BTW, congratulations to the state champions in all classifications. I suppose you all will have to be satisfied with your gold ball this year since you weren't included in the BCS...

As I indicated in my post, I am not from Greeneville and am not a Greeneville fan. Consequently, you didn't listen to any "crap" from me 4 years ago about anything. I will say that 4 years ago Greeneville didn't have a team even worthy to compare to this year's team. I have seen them play some over the last 20 years and I believe this year is by far the best team they have had. That is my opinion. The great thing about opinions is that we can all have them. It amazes me that Blount Countians can't even accept compliments without being offended. I suppose the only acceptable comments are that Alcoa and Maryville are the greatest and no one else even compares! Anything less is hollow. Furthermore, the only other teams that can garner any smidgen of respect or be mentioned in the same conversation are those fortunate (or unfortunate) to have played the great Alcoa or Maryville. To suggest that any other team could be considered or discussed in the same light is heresy. All hail to the Blount County kingdom from all the peasants near and far!

BTW, congratulations to the state champions in all classifications. I suppose you all will have to be satisfied with your gold ball this year since you weren't included in the BCS...

blah,blablah,blablah,blablah,blablah,blablah!and the soap opera continues.

etownsparky ... hmmm easy guess .... elizabethton fan ... right ? If not , some other team up that way I'm sure . It's ok for you to state without a doubt Greeneville would beat Maryville and no one else has a right to have another opinion . Your chip on your shoulder towards Maryville and Alcoa is understandable .