All Blount County Team Named

MHS82

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most glaring is J. T. Rankin, All-State OL. Alcoa had 10 if you count player of the year D.Warren.

I have heard from numerous sources that the fish wrap is slowly going under. Any others heard that rumor?

Scots,

Hasn't there been a change of ownership again recently for The Times? For years and years, they were the "only show in town" so they really didn't have to worry. But Blount Today has given them some competition. Still yet ... they still have a solid circulation number, so I'd be surprised if they went under. I share the opinion of many that they don't spend near enough time covering local news, events, sports, etc. I can remember when the Times used to publish huge sections before football and basketball seasons with 2 or 3 pages devoted to each local team. Now they do very little.

As far as the All County team ... I can see their dilemma. The readership of the paper is spread out among all four schools, so you have to keep everybody as happy as possible. At the same time, currently you have lots more talented players at the two city schools. No question, if you're good enough to garner "all state" honors, you deserve to be on the "all county" team. At the same time, you've got to draw the line somewhere on how many you're going to pick.

I'm sure most Maryville and Alcoa fans would say just leave off a few more of the WB and Heritage kids. And you could argue that point. But could you also argue the point that West or Curtis or Johns should have been on there ahead of some other Maryville players that made it? Or that Rankin should have taken the place of some other Alcoa player that was on the team? What if the Times staff had told the coaches, "Ok, you've got 10 spots on the All-County team? Or you have 8 spots? Or 6 spots? Give me your players."? And whoever the coaches turn in, without any input from the newspaper staff, makes the team. Of course then it becomes the Coaches All-County Team ... not the Daily Times All-County team.

Scots,

Hasn't there been a change of ownership again recently for The Times? For years and years, they were the "only show in town" so they really didn't have to worry. But Blount Today has given them some competition. Still yet ... they still have a solid circulation number, so I'd be surprised if they went under. I share the opinion of many that they don't spend near enough time covering local news, events, sports, etc. I can remember when the Times used to publish huge sections before football and basketball seasons with 2 or 3 pages devoted to each local team. Now they do very little.

As far as the All County team ... I can see their dilemma. The readership of the paper is spread out among all four schools, so you have to keep everybody as happy as possible. At the same time, currently you have lots more talented players at the two city schools. No question, if you're good enough to garner "all state" honors, you deserve to be on the "all county" team. At the same time, you've got to draw the line somewhere on how many you're going to pick.

I'm sure most Maryville and Alcoa fans would say just leave off a few more of the WB and Heritage kids. And you could argue that point. But could you also argue the point that West or Curtis or Johns should have been on there ahead of some other Maryville players that made it? Or that Rankin should have taken the place of some other Alcoa player that was on the team? What if the Times staff had told the coaches, "Ok, you've got 10 spots on the All-County team? Or you have 8 spots? Or 6 spots? Give me your players."? And whoever the coaches turn in, without any input from the newspaper staff, makes the team. Of course then it becomes the Coaches All-County Team ... not the Daily Times All-County team.

I think the best way would be for the 4 coaches to vote for players from the opposing county teams. This would be a lot easier if the 4 schools still all played each other....but that is another thread...lol

Govman: I am not sure about ownership. However, I do wonder about circulation. Occassional boths in the mall, tables set up at WalGreens, and constant phone calls looking to sell a subscription (even though you have one) makes one wonder. If they have changed ownership, I certainly hope they salvage what once was a great small town newspaper sports section.

Unfortunately, the DT has become an assembly of AP Wire reports. There is very little true sports reporting; mostly AP wire reports on D1 and pro sports. Like you, I recall the days with nearly an entire page dedicated to each local team; Friendsville, Porter, Lanier, Walland, etc. Today, the All-State Team coverage was found in the small print with the box scores. Hard to believe they have fallen so far.

One can only assume that DT leadership believes the county population of sports readers is not enough to warrant the additional coverage; or will not draw the advertising necessary to offset expenses. All I can say is thank the Lord for Blount Today. I never fail to tell those guys just how much I appreciate their effort.

As for selection of the teams, several years ago a middle school coach told me their All-County teams were based upon a number provided by the DT. That number was based upon by team W/L records. Therefore, it would not suprise me if the DT is operating the same way with the HS All-County teams. It makes sense. With no real sports department and so few reporters, how do they cover all the games well enough to know the players and their accomplishments/abilities? Maybe they read Blount Today, Monday Morning QB, and the KNS like we do! :roflol:

My conclusion.....it's not a true "all county" team if it's done on quotas. The selection process, if done by quotas, is watered down and does not represent. Nothing against the Heritage and WB kids but some of the selections would have had trouble getting on the field if they played at Maryville or Alcoa, let alone making all county.

One additional exclusion.....Jared Miller. It is what it is though and typical fish wrap material.

My conclusion.....it's not a true "all county" team if it's done on quotas. The selection process, if done by quotas, is watered down and does not represent. Nothing against the Heritage and WB kids but some of the selections would have had trouble getting on the field if they played at Maryville or Alcoa, let alone making all county.

One additional exclusion.....Jared Miller. It is what it is though and typical fish wrap material.

I can think of some other exclusions as well. Some that made all-district.

I saw MHS play much more than anyone else in the county this year. IMO, Curtis was a huge part of that defense, and I was surprised not to see him on the all-state team. It was hard to do much of anything (throw or run) on his corner. Maybe a glaring oversight, but more likely the coaches trying to recognize some seniors - and there is really nothing wrong with that either.

I saw MHS play much more than anyone else in the county this year. IMO, Curtis was a huge part of that defense, and I was surprised not to see him on the all-state team. It was hard to do much of anything (throw or run) on his corner. Maybe a glaring oversight, but more likely the coaches trying to recognize some seniors - and there is really nothing wrong with that either.

I totally agree. Especially early in the year, teams would test the "rookie" corner (Brandon Johns-allstate). Dalton was a rock the entire year on his corner. Brandon gets my vote for most improved. MHS should be very strong on both corners next year. IMO, we will have 2 potential All-State corners.