Division II-A Basketball (Small School Division) East/Middle

dgeeman

Who's the best in the Boys Basketball Division II-A East/Middle Division?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you like to win this division for the boys?

• Ezell Harding Christian School
    • Franklin Road Academy
    • Donelson Christian School
    • University School of Nashville
    • The Webb Feet
    • Knox Webb
    • Mount Juliet Christian School
    • Riverside Christian
    • St Andrews Sewanee School
    • Zion Christian
    • Kings Academy
    • Davidson Academy

Ben Winkel (center for MJCA) transferred in from Smyrna. He's actually a great kid, and just wanted a place where he could play a majority of the time. He quit Smyrna's team last year, knowing he could transfer and be eligible in December.

When USN gets Ross Welch eligible, they would be the heavy favorite, however, they are going to have to go pretty deep before he is eligible to play.

Everyone likes to see good kids be successful...at least I do. I would say that Ben W. has found a home there at MJCA...sporting a 19 pt avg for his first 6 games. Yes and you are right...when Ross Welch becomes eligible he is gonna help the USN team a whole lot. I really think a number of teams are in the run for this Division...so it ought to be a lot of fun down the road. I'm afraid Tuesday looks like a snow out for the Ezell/MJCA game.

Everyone likes to see good kids be successful...at least I do. I would say that Ben W. has found a home there at MJCA...sporting a 19 pt avg for his first 6 games. Yes and you are right...when Ross Welch becomes eligible he is gonna help the USN team a whole lot. I really think a number of teams are in the run for this Division...so it ought to be a lot of fun down the road. I'm afraid Tuesday looks like a snow out for the Ezell/MJCA game.

Division is definitely a toss-up. I don't think there are going to be 2 dominant teams like USN and Webb last year. DCA, FRA, Ezell, USN, and Knox Webb can all beat each other on any given night. From what I understand, USN was winning the entire game and up 7 with 2 minutes to go. Ezell shot 44 free throws, USN shot 12. Now, I understand that one team might foul more than another, but a 32 shot discrepancy is ridiculous. Point is it doesn't matter, USN had chances to close the door and didn't.

I do love the fact that MJCA is competitive this year. I really would like to see them upset some people.

Division is definitely a toss-up. I don't think there are going to be 2 dominant teams like USN and Webb last year. DCA, FRA, Ezell, USN, and Knox Webb can all beat each other on any given night. From what I understand, USN was winning the entire game and up 7 with 2 minutes to go. Ezell shot 44 free throws, USN shot 12. Now, I understand that one team might foul more than another, but a 32 shot discrepancy is ridiculous. Point is it doesn't matter, USN had chances to close the door and didn't.

I do love the fact that MJCA is competitive this year. I really would like to see them upset some people.

SmokeStack, I would agree that was a huge difference on the foul line. The game itself was one that Ezell could not script out in another hundred years. 15 of those shots came in the OT once Ezell got their lead of five and it was all USN could do to get back in the game. Another 16 of those shots came in the 4th quarter in which USN enjoyed a 9 pt lead at the 2 minute mark. That is a lot of fouling by a team with a 9 point lead late. Interestingly enough I thought the only questionable fouls may have been two fouls on Nilan Hodge early in the 4th quarter...I am not sure what the ref saw...but I did not see it...had Nilan stayed in the game a couple of more minutes I really doubt Ezell could have made their run. There may have been one from my angle that looked like a clean block...but the ref who called it did not have my same view...but it happens. It is all part of the game...in a couple of our losses...a call here or there would have made a difference as it often does in sports. By the way...I like that Nilan Hodge kid, even in the loss, the questionable calls, etc...he came out as a very good young man.

I'm glad that the Saints have something to cheer about this season...and I'm all for you guys upsetting everybody...except us. :)

Gman

SmokeStack, thanks for the comment about Ben Wankel. You too geeman. MJCA is a great fit for him. When is Welch going to be eligible? He'll definitely add another weapon to USN. Nilan Hodge is a good kid. Got to know him and his dad on an AAU team a couple years ago.

Gymrat gotta 10-4 you on the Hodge's for sure...met Mr. Hodge at Brian Penny's camp when the kids were a few years younger...has always had good things to say about my boy. They are good people! So it is Wankel and not Winkel...that is good to know as well. I had heard the same thing about Ross Welch...I do know that DCA beat us last year to make it to the final four of our division...so all those teams got to play...I guess in a sectional games...so I would think the team has to make it to the State before he can play. Not sure why he left DCA...but USN will benefit from his arrival if it is this year or next.

Below is the AP view point. It appears your poll does not represent USN as the sportswriters see them.

By the way, the WEST DIIa appears to have 3 teams St. George, ECS, and University School of Jackson in the top 10 in the state. Mid and East DIIa seems to be left out in this poll. Any Reason you folks can think of?

DII

Ensworth (13-2)

Father Ryan (12-2)

MBA (8-4)

Briarcrest Christian (11-6)

USN (11-3)

St. George's (9-4)

USJ (10-5)

CBHS (12-4)

ECS (8-4)

McCallie (9-3)

Below is the AP view point. It appears your poll does not represent USN as the sportswriters see them.

By the way, the WEST DIIa appears to have 3 teams St. George, ECS, and University School of Jackson in the top 10 in the state. Mid and East DIIa seems to be left out in this poll. Any Reason you folks can think of?

DII

Ensworth (13-2)

Father Ryan (12-2)

MBA (8-4)

Briarcrest Christian (11-6)

USN (11-3)

St. George's (9-4)

USJ (10-5)

CBHS (12-4)

ECS (8-4)

McCallie (9-3)

UTfan,

Obviously these sportswriters don't know anything about basketball like we parents do of the kids and their teams that we voted for. :) I'm not sure any team should be in the same ranking as the DII Big Schools...not sure any of us can compete. It could be that those West teams may have a harder time scheduling opponents and have to play up a lot. Rankings don't really matter...it is really the end of the season that counts the most.

Our ranking is just a fun kinda thing in hopes to get a little chatter going. It is an opportunity to talk about a few kids (all positive) and enjoy the season.

Anyone know when the makeup game Ezell vs MJCA will be?

Gman

SmokeStack, thanks for the comment about Ben Wankel. You too geeman. MJCA is a great fit for him. When is Welch going to be eligible? He'll definitely add another weapon to USN. Nilan Hodge is a good kid. Got to know him and his dad on an AAU team a couple years ago.

I'm just glad to see MJCA be competitive. Those coaches have put in a ton of time over the years, and I'm glad to see them have some early success. Big Ben has been a great addition to their basketball team, and could really help in the trenches if he plays football. I saw them play this summer and told some coaches, they were going to be a lot better than usual. How good, I don't know, but I think they will give some teams trouble because they have a viable inside presence. I would question their record as far as strength of schedule, but they have beat who is on their schedule. I want to see how they do in league play......

UTfan,

Obviously these sportswriters don't know anything about basketball like we parents do of the kids and their teams that we voted for. :) I'm not sure any team should be in the same ranking as the DII Big Schools...not sure any of us can compete. It could be that those West teams may have a harder time scheduling opponents and have to play up a lot. Rankings don't really matter...it is really the end of the season that counts the most.

Our ranking is just a fun kinda thing in hopes to get a little chatter going. It is an opportunity to talk about a few kids (all positive) and enjoy the season.

Anyone know when the makeup game Ezell vs MJCA will be?

Gman

These polls don't mean anything. The sportswriters are the same people voting on Mr. Basketball. Meiko Lyles was 2nd in the midstate in scoring, and a finalist the year before when USN got to the Final 4. .....USN split with Webb in the season, then thrashed them in the tournament.....and Tarwater got Mr. Basketball over Lyles. They are now 0-2 in their league and ranked #5 in the D-II poll......makes no sense whatsoever.

I voted USN. Ezell is good but wont get past DCA. DCA owns Ezell mentally in every sport.

Hate to say it...but we may be owned by DCA last night...

After last nights game the Eagles have been beaten by DCA at home now for 3 times in a row.

Well another close but no cigar vs DCA. It was a good game vs DCA with a lead most of the game. Subpar night for the Gman but it happens. As coach Mel Brown use to say, "If you thought what you did yesterday was good...you haven't done anything good today."

As senior Bryan Duncan said, "It was a tough loss...but we'll learn from it." There's a lot of basketball left...but DCA is a frontrunner now.

For the Eagles I think we found another bump in the road and there will probably be a few more but put on your seat belts and strap yourselves in because we are all in for the long ride.

Hate to say it...but we may be owned by DCA last night...

After last nights game the Eagles have been beaten by DCA at home now for 3 times in a row.

Well another close but no cigar vs DCA. It was a good game vs DCA with a lead most of the game. Subpar night for the Gman but it happens. As coach Mel Brown use to say, "If you thought what you did yesterday was good...you haven't done anything good today."

As senior Bryan Duncan said, "It was a tough loss...but we'll learn from it." There's a lot of basketball left...but DCA is a frontrunner now.

For the Eagles I think we found another bump in the road and there will probably be a few more but put on your seat belts and strap yourselves in because we are all in for the long ride.

Totally mental. Ezell will get through it. MJCA/Knox Webb today. Hope the Saints can keep it close.