AP prep poll Class A

GreenFog

I agree that if you have a losing record or more than say 6 loses there is no way that you can expect to be ranked in a "beauty contest" such as the AP Poll. My question is about how polls are done. I would think that a poll ( and certainly the first poll of the year) would reflect three or four things- one, what did the team do last year (how did they finish)-two, how many players are back- three, their schedule and success against it-four, how are they are doing right now. Anybody agree? What teams deserve to be ranked if this criteria is used?

I can make a valid argument for Summertown and their 7 losses. Try 6 losses to AA and AAA teams, 4 of which could have gone either way. Add to that 3-0 versus currently ranked Top 10 teams. The only loss to a single A team was 2 points in one of the toughest gyms in the state to play in.

Glazed, when you complain about the officials when you win, you are making excuses for why that win wasnt bigger. You have failed to answer who you have payed that makes your record more impressive than anything Summertown has done. You can not think you would have faired any different versus the same schedule that Summertown has played. Not to mention, I have seen PC play and I have also seen CA and Mt Pleasant play and I think they match up very well with you. Mt Pleasant is LONG and athletic---they can easily pound the rodk in the post on you and hurt you bad--remember--you say that PC and Summertown are very equal (do I need to copy and paste your own words AGAIN) and Mt Pleasant put up 93 on them. CA matches up well also with you. I can bag on CA and Mt Pleasant all I want cuz Summertown has answered the bell against them--until you do, nothing you can say will sway my opinion of PC until you do. Another bet I am willing to make (for entertainment purposes, of course) would be that Summertown beats WC WORSE than PC did at WC.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can make a valid argument for Summertown and their 7 losses. Try 6 losses to AA and AAA teams, 4 of which could have gone either way. Add to that 3-0 versus currently ranked Top 10 teams. The only loss to a single A team was 2 points in one of the toughest gyms in the state to play in.

Glazed, when you complain about the officials when you win, you are making excuses for why that win wasnt bigger. You have failed to answer who you have payed that makes your record more impressive than anything Summertown has done. You can not think you would have faired any different versus the same schedule that Summertown has played. Not to mention, I have seen PC play and I have also seen CA and Mt Pleasant play and I think they match up very well with you. Mt Pleasant is LONG and athletic---they can easily pound the rodk in the post on you and hurt you bad--remember--you say that PC and Summertown are very equal (do I need to copy and paste your own words AGAIN) and Mt Pleasant put up 93 on them. CA matches up well also with you. I can bag on CA and Mt Pleasant all I want cuz Summertown has answered the bell against them--until you do, nothing you can say will sway my opinion of PC until you do. Another bet I am willing to make (for entertainment purposes, of course) would be that Summertown beats WC WORSE than PC did at WC.

Stown probably will beat WC worse than PC did. But until Stown beats us, then it won't sway my vote of Stown. It doesn't matter how many Top 10 teams Stown has beat. They didn't beat us, and they will be lucky to Friday night.

I think CSAS should definitely be top 10 and possibly top 5 for several reasons:

1) They return all 5 starters and all key reserves from a team that lost in the Final 4 last year by 9 after leading at the half to eventual state champion Clarksville.

2) Beat McCallie who has some very highly rated players in their respective classes and is one of the top DII teams in the state.

3) Their 3 losses were in overtime to AA Tyner, overtime to AA Hixson (without starting their starting PG, Stallion, to injury), and on the road at A East Literature with 2 of CSAS's starters coming off of injuries (including Alex Stallion, their best player).

4) Their average margin of victory is 33 against Single A teams and 26 against all competition.

5) Their district this year is slightly down but Coach Dragoo did a good job of scheduling out of district games to prepare them to make another run at the state.

Stown probably will beat WC worse than PC did. But until Stown beats us, then it won't sway my vote of Stown. It doesn't matter how many Top 10 teams Stown has beat. They didn't beat us, and they will be lucky to Friday night.

And when we do you will make excuses for the loss. I can hear them already. Tucker didnt play well. We couldnt hit our shots. The refs were horrible. We beat you by 2 at our place and you beat us by double digits at your place but we are still better and the best team in the state. Dude, we already proved we could run with you, and played you to a 2 point game at your house with our best player having an off game. You may want to start rehearsing those lines on Word that way it will be easy for you to type them on this board. I know your MO quite well from the 12A board.

And when we do you will make excuses for the loss. I can hear them already. Tucker didnt play well. We couldnt hit our shots. The refs were horrible. We beat you by 2 at our place and you beat us by double digits at your place but we are still better and the best team in the state. Dude, we already proved we could run with you, and played you to a 2 point game at your house with our best player having an off game. You may want to start rehearsing those lines on Word that way it will be easy for you to type them on this board. I know your MO quite well from the 12A board.

Well practice your why we lost at our home lines.

Well practice your why we lost at our home lines.

I dont have to practice them--I dont make excuses. If you look at the 12A boards, you will not find me making an excuse for why we lost at PC--i said it sounded like a good game and that we had our chances. No excuse offered. If you beat us, you beat us--but most people think we hold serve at home--even you have said you think we might beat you there.

In the boys' contest, the Bulldogs brought their #5 Associated Press ranking, but

they were no match for the Eagles. Prior to the game, CA had only 2 losses, but

one of those was to the Eagles. Now, you can make that 3 losses, with 2 being to

the Eagles. In a classic example of a win-loss record not meaning much, CA has

only played 2 teams that have winning records - Summertown and Culleoka. Rankings

mean nothing - as was shown Saturday night.

Summertown's Eli Mathews snatched-away the opening tip, drove to the basket and

scored a lay-up with only 5 seconds off the clock. CA would never lead, or even

tie, the score the remainder of the contest. The Eagles would then get back to

back to back 3-pointers by Neylan Franks, Bubba Cllifton and Jordan Chard, gaining a

comfortable 11-3 lead. Summertown would lead 18-10 by the end of the first period.

The Eagles would really pour it on in the second period, outscoring the visitors

16-7 in the period - capped by a buzzer-beating trey by Chard, setting the halftime

score at 34-17.

CA would make a small surge in the opening minutes of the third period and had a

scoring advantage of 12-8 in the third period, but it would be too little, too late.

The Eagles led 42-29 going into the final period. The teams would play to an

even 18-18 in the final period as the Eagles took the win by a final score of 60-47.

The Eagles were led by Bubba Clifton with 22 points (2 treys), Eli Matthews with 10

(1 trey), Jordan Chard and Neylan Franks with 8 each (and 2 treys each), Sam Curtis

with 6 and Blake Gray with 2. CA was led by Spencer Richardson with 23 points

and Kade Morgan with 17 (4treys).

S'Town Hands CA First Loss Of Year

Posted on December 21, 2010

From the Daily Herald

Bubba Clifton and Jordan Chard combined for 35 second half points, sparking Summertown’s win over previously undefeated Columbia Academy 68-57 Monday night

A half-court shot by Joseph Patterson enabled the Bulldogs to extend their lead to 31-24 at intermission. Craig Allen’s 13 firsthalf points kept the Eagles within striking distance.

Clifton hit five straight buckets for 10 points and Chard added nine points in the third period as the Eagles stepped up their intensity, taking a 47-41 lead.

Chard and Allen added 16 and 15 points, repectively. Allen led in rebounds with five. Eli Matthews had three steals and three assists for Summertown

Again refer to my earlier post Lake County does NOT have a losing record. The record listed is wrong in the AP poll. They are currently 11-8 with wins over Halls(2), Union City, Middle College, New Madrid,MO, Bradford, Fulton City,KY, Perry County, Greenfield, South Fulton and Trenton-Peabody. The Falcons only have 4 losses to teams from the state of TN which are UC and Dyersburg(In Graves Co., KY christmas tourney) and Perry Co along with Humboldt. They lost by 3 @ Humboldt after leading by 8 at half and also beat Perry Co. at home. THey have avenged the loss to UC as well. Bottomline is the polls are fun to argue but really mean little as it will all get decided on the court.

I dont have to practice them--I dont make excuses. If you look at the 12A boards, you will not find me making an excuse for why we lost at PC--i said it sounded like a good game and that we had our chances. No excuse offered. If you beat us, you beat us--but most people think we hold serve at home--even you have said you think we might beat you there.

I never make excuses for losses if all players are playing. You have seen me put one excuse on here about us lossing to the home school team? I think not. Players not being dressed out is not an excuse, it is a key factor in a win or loss. That would be like Stown lossing to Colombia Academy without Bubba there.

McEwen took another hard loss in the district last Friday night to WHH... That puts them with three losses in the district this year... and only one loss out of district in the last two years... They might continue to stay in the polls throughout the rest of this year, but the easy non-district opponents I feel will hurt them come one and done time...

As far polling goes, in 1A especially, losses should not be the determining factor on where teams are ranked at... The voters definetely need to take into account the schedule of each team along with the losses... There are several 1A teams that have 5+ losses already that I would take over teams with 2-3 losses...

McEwen took another hard loss in the district last Friday night to WHH... That puts them with three losses in the district this year... and only one loss out of district in the last two years... They might continue to stay in the polls throughout the rest of this year, but the easy non-district opponents I feel will hurt them come one and done time...

As far polling goes, in 1A especially, losses should not be the determining factor on where teams are ranked at... The voters definetely need to take into account the schedule of each team along with the losses... There are several 1A teams that have 5+ losses already that I would take over teams with 2-3 losses...

I can promise you that..Lake Co is one ..Not saying they will win the State but have a good team.Just not much height.Union City has a lot of losses but still would put them against a lot of the true Single A teams