AP prep poll Class A

GreenFog

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone thought of the idea that the coacht strength+success ratings are more accurate than the AP biased polls? Just sayin'.

1. Middleton 1.396

2. Humboldt 1.350

3. Chatt. Arts & Sciences 1.321

4. Forrest 1.314

5. Friendship Christian 1.309

6. Cosby 1.298

7. Cloudland 1.285

8. McEwen 1.257

9. Columbia Academy 1.227

10. Clarksville Academy 1.227

11. Hampton 1.208

12. Summertown 1.194

13. Wartburg 1.193

14. Harriman 1.166

15. Huntland 1.147

16. Westwood 1.146

17. Watertown 1.131

18. Van Buren County 1.129

19. Jackson County 1.118

20. Clay County 1.116

i think the reasoning behind how the teams got the ranking they got in this poll makes a lot more sense.

It's not accurate and the way it's set up not going to be.Humboldt is in the number 2 spot.Humboldt has played the same teams that Lake Co has in the district.Both Lake Co and Humboldt has played Westview and Dyersburg outside the district..Humboldt has played Haywood that's 5-7..Northside at 3-10..Milan at 3-13..That's the only 3 teams I see that are different..Lake Co has played Brighton and Perry Co,.I'd put Brighton and Perry Co over any of the 3 teams that Humboldt has played ..Plus all the out of state teams ..about 6 teams from Kentucky and Illinois ..some with around 1200 students that can't be counted on coach T.And the thing is..Some teams can beat a team like Milan..we can lose to a much bigger school like Brighton and lose points.Not saying Humboldt doesn't deserve to be in the number 2 spot.And they should be ranked above Lake Co since they won heads up and also beat Dyersburg .But Lake Co has played a more difficult schedule.May not should be ranked as high on the strength and success but should be at the top or close on the strength of schedule itself if the system was accurate

Edited by mrbigster

Ok, I am here for you Glazed and Bigs-----any poll that has EITHER Forrest or CA ranked ahead of Summertown has no credibility. Summertown beat CA by DOUBLE DIGITS at CA. We also went on the road and beat Forrest at their place. Does Summertown have 7 losses---sure they do but lets take a closer look. 2 losses to AAA Lawrence County and should have won one of those, McGavock at the Beech tournament, Red Bank at the Beech tournament, 2 to Spring Hill and could have won both of those, and by 2 at Perry County in a game that could have gone either way. Note on our win total that we also beat Union City by DOUBLE DIGITS at the Beech tournament. People talk about schedules and districts all the time, but I challenge any team to say they could win 12A---it is what it is and 12A is one of the tougher districts in the state with Wayne County, Summertown, and Perry County. Even Loretto is playing decent ball this season. We also play in one of the tougher regions in the state with CA and Mt Pleasant added in that mix. Forrest has built their record on largely inferior competition that is continually owned by region 6.

As you can see from my signature, I am a broadcaster with WCMT radio in Martin in Northwest Tennessee. I am also one of the voting members in the Associated Press polls. All of us that vote recognize that polls are designed to create interest and recognize the efforts of our young athletes in the state. They are not perfect. I would like to take this venue to explain our process.

The week before the first poll, voters exchange mass e-mails across the state with recommendations of teams worthy of consideration and where they believe the teams should be voted. We use those recommendations along with individual research to determine our vote. After the first week we receive an e-mail each Sunday from the AP titled “How They Fared†which lets us know at a glance how the Top 10 did that week. Voters will e-mail each other occasionally after the first week with recommendations of teams that should be considered to enter the poll.

The question was asked, “Who votes in this poll?†Though it was asked sarcastically I’d like to answer that question. The following 15 newspapers shared information with me prior to last week’s poll.

Tennessean-Nashville

Jackson Sun

Dyersburg State Gazette

Union City Messenger

Johnson City Press

Newport Plain Talk

Greeneville Sun

Cleveland Daily Banner

Oak Ridger

Columbia Daily Herald

Cookeville Herald-Citizen

Marshall Co. Tribune

Knoxville News Sentinel

Commercial Appeal-Memphis

Murfreesboro Daily News Journal

This is a good representation from across the state though it could be better if members in some areas would be more active.

Since this thread deals specifically with Class A boys, I would also like to address a couple of concerns raised by folks here on CoachT. As you can tell from the above list, most of the voters are either from metro areas that have very few Class A teams or are in areas that see a lot more AAA and AA teams. Thus the recommendations and information for Class A was limited compared to the larger classes.

To the folks from Perry County-As far as Lake County being ranked ahead of you, my recommendation e-mail said Lake Co. was NOT Yet a Top 10 team but they were recommended by another voter in the West. The Class A teams recommended for inclusion from your area were Forrest, Columbia Academy, & Cascade. I will certainly consider the Vikings in my next vote.

To the supporters of CSAS-There were No boys teams in Class A recommended from SE Tennessee at all with only one media outlet even responding. I DID vote for Chattanooga School for Arts/Sciences. I know what they have.

To Jackson County folks-The recommendation on the Blue Devils was that they might be a team to be looked at later on.

To those who prefer the CoachT Strength + Success Ratings-I use the ratings as one tool in determining my vote and agree that statistical measurements take out the human bias factor. I wish that results from all games were posted on CoachT so the Ratings would be more accurate. As it is now the ratings are flawed due to incomplete information.

Ratings are always going to leave some people unhappy whether they are media votes or statistical strength rankings. The AP poll will improve as the season winds down and we all agree that the cream will rise to the top in Murfreesboro in March. I am posting my vote from Week One just to show my transparency. I would welcome well-thought, civil feedback from CoachT’ers either on the board or at my e-mail address durallv@charter.net.

1 Clark. Acad

2 Humboldt

3 Middleton

4 CSAS

5 Hampton

6 Forrest

7 Westwood

8 McEwen

9 Col. Acad

10 Cascade