Improvements for state

barbwire

This topic was started to renew discussions from after state last year and offer suggestions as to how to improve this event. Not to re-visit the same old complaints. We would all be doing ourselves a huge favor by realizing that the TSSAA gets this venue for FREE, and unless another place offers the same deal, it will not be moved. Therefore we just have to adapt and improve the given facility and how this event can become what the wrestlers and fans deserve.

Coach Blair and all involved did an incredible job last year, after all it was the first year at a new place and Joe himself said they would work to improve it for year 2. I was simply asking him if he could let us know if there have been any changes in the set up of mats, scoreboards, etc.

The one most repeated complaint heard was about the finals and separation of the mats.

I offer a solution to this that will work for the finals. Set it up on 1 end of the arena, 1 mat raised on a platform like NCAA's and other states do like Ohio and I think GA. You would simply alternate matches on this mat between D1 and D2 at each weight. The atmosphere would be electric with all the fans packed into one end of the arena, spot lights on the mat. Just change the schedule and begin the finals 1 hour earlier and everyone would get out of there the same time as last year.

We have to embrace the fact that this is where state will be for years to come, so let's try to improve it by offering positive ideas.

Edited by barbwire

I agree that the TSSAA is not going to move the tournament any time soon. I also did not like how spread out the mats were toward the end of the tournament. To fix this move the finals mats side by side to one end of the arena and bring in portable bleachers to fill in the opening. This will give it a better setting and more attention to the wrestlers, which they deserve. I don't like having one mat and alternating divisions, but two mats next to each other would work great if the arena was cut down. Also, this leaves room on the other end of the floor for the medal stands to be set up with more spectator space.

This topic was started to renew discussions from after state last year and offer suggestions as to how to improve this event. Not to re-visit the same old complaints. We would all be doing ourselves a huge favor by realizing that the TSSAA gets this venue for FREE, and unless another place offers the same deal, it will not be moved. Therefore we just have to adapt and improve the given facility and how this event can become what the wrestlers and fans deserve.

Coach Blair and all involved did an incredible job last year, after all it was the first year at a new place and Joe himself said they would work to improve it for year 2. I was simply asking him if he could let us know if there have been any changes in the set up of mats, scoreboards, etc.

The one most repeated complaint heard was about the finals and separation of the mats.

I offer a solution to this that will work for the finals. Set it up on 1 end of the arena, 1 mat raised on a platform like NCAA's and other states do like Ohio and I think GA. You would simply alternate matches on this mat between D1 and D2 at each weight. The atmosphere would be electric with all the fans packed into one end of the arena, spot lights on the mat. Just change the schedule and begin the finals 1 hour earlier and everyone would get out of there the same time as last year.

We have to embrace the fact that this is where state will be for years to come, so let's try to improve it by offering positive ideas.

A very excellent idea. Someone in charge please grab this bull by the horns and get ur done!

A very excellent idea. Someone in charge please grab this bull by the horns and get ur done!

how about getting some bleachers to put down closer to the mats. nothing fancy just to shut some of these guys up. personally i like it at the ag center. the chatt. arena was so crammed and stuffy. especially me being a wrestler, i liked being able to walk around the open spaces around the upper levels. just my opinion. i think most of these people are just upset because they have to travel and cant sleep in their own beds the night before the big day!

It was completely possible to have had double elimination in Chattanooga. The new venue is a step down. Period. I don't care where the tournaments are held form a geographic standpoint but the rodeo arena is not a good place. The only plus (besides the bathrooms) is that the TSSAA makes more money. The experience is less for all wrestlers, coaches, and fans I have talked to.

With that said, I agree that double elimination has long been needed and is good for the kids and the sport. BUT PLEASE, put the tournament in a venue that will do it justice to all involved

Now that the State Tournament is double elimination they should place the top 8

Coach Blair,

Can you please give all of us a preview of any changes or improvements that are in the works for the venue set up for state? duals and/or individuals? thank you in advance!! (duals are only 10 days away)

First, let me start by reminding everyone that these are TSSAA's tournaments. We are only the grunts doing the leg work. We set it up the way they tell us. As far as the duals go, probably the main change is the finals in DI AAA, DI A-AA, and DII will all be wrestled at 7:30 on mats 1, 2, and 3 in the east endzone where the majority of the seating will be available. This will allow everyone to have a chance to view all 3 matches at once.

Staging has always been a thought for the finals from day one. However, when you start talking logistics, it becomes a little more challenging. For 2 42'x42' mats with enough staging for a safe boundary, you're looking at a stage at least 50'x100'. That's 5000 sq ft of stage. I've called some companies about it and haven't gotten great feedback. The rental cost is around $10,000. Not sure about you, but I don't have that just laying around, and TSSAA isn't prepared to budget for that just yet.

I have been working on getting an ice cream vendor if that makes everyone feel better.

Coach Blair