Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

Is it just me or does the phone app border on suck?

Uh, I don't know.  I seemed to have learned a good bit from it.  I guess the level of suckage depends on one's perspective.  Myself :geek: , as a fan who is learning, the app has been pretty good.  I like that it has the rulebook (which can be hard to read, like 11th grade English Lit) and it also has the examples or cases.  The cases really help it sink in, for me.  Maybe from th perspective of a ref or high school fan that is more knowledgable than I, it might suck.

How about this rule. Lewis co player fumbles ball, after a westview player recovers it, there is an inadvertent whistle. Why is the down replayed with Lewis co keeping the ball?

An inadvertent whistle ends the down. Inadvertent whistles are

administered as follows:

a. The down shall be replayed if, during a down or during a down in which the

penalty for a foul is declined, an inadvertent whistle is sounded while a legal

forward pass or snap is in flight, or during a legal kick.

b. The team last in possession may choose to either put the ball in play where

possession was lost or replay the down if, during a down or during a down

in which the penalty for a foul is declined, an inadvertent whistle is sounded

while the ball is loose following a backward pass, fumble, illegal forward

pass or illegal kick.

c. The team in possession may choose to either accept the results of the play

at the dead-ball spot or replay the down if, during a down or during a down

in which the penalty for a foul is declined, an inadvertent whistle is sounded

while the ball is in player possession.

d. The penalty shall be administered as determined by the basic spot and

takes precedence over inadvertent whistle administration if, during a down,

a live-ball foul occurs prior to the inadvertent whistle and the penalty is

accepted.

How about this rule. Lewis co player fumbles ball, after a westview player recovers it, there is an inadvertent whistle. Why is the down replayed with Lewis co keeping the ball?

Thats just dirty refs... if you ask me..or a bad rule...needs to be highlighted and revisited, along with hurdling, which is inconsistantly called...

last night at the TC game TC kicks the ball off, its a medium height kick, angled to the wide side of the field...the ball is kicked approximately 15-20 yards downfield, a TC defender catches the ball in the air as it never hits the ground and gets tackled out of bounds,...the refs flag TC for illegal touching and assess the penalty and rekick

Why was that not legal? and if it was illegal, what if the same event happened down the middle of the field.

Thats just dirty refs... if you ask me..or a bad rule...needs to be highlighted and revisited, along with hurdling, which is inconsistantly called...

last night at the TC game TC kicks the ball off, its a medium height kick, angled to the wide side of the field...the ball is kicked approximately 15-20 yards downfield, a TC defender catches the ball in the air as it never hits the ground and gets tackled out of bounds,...the refs flag TC for illegal touching and assess the penalty and rekick

Why was that not legal? and if it was illegal, what if the same event happened down the middle of the field.

Sounds like kick catch interference to me. K cannot catch the ball on a kickoff that has not hit the ground first. Kick catch interference. They can on a punt if no R player is there to receive the punt but not a kickoff.

this is correct, on a KO, the ball must travel 10 yards and TOUCh the ground, in either order, if not it is kick catch interfearence.

If it hits the ground and K touches it before it goes 10 yards then it is first touching. R has option to put the ball in play at that spot in most cases.

Edited by footballref

On a rugby style punt can roughing the kicker be called?  Also, on a blocked punt can the kicking team advance the ball?

Yes, roughing can be called on a rugby style kick.

Yes, the kicking team can advance a punt as long as they pick it up behind the line of scrimmage (by rule it talks about in or behind the neutral zone) but for talking purposes the line of scrimmage is what people are familiar with.

Thanks. That's what I thought about the blocked punt. My other question about the rugby style punt is how do you determine that the punter is indeed kicking it and it's not a fake? When is it ok to tackle him? Does the receiving team have to wait until he crosses the LOS? I've learned a lot reading this post. I've found you can't use your knowledge of NCAA or NFL rules while watching high school ball.

Thanks. That's what I thought about the blocked punt. My other question about the rugby style punt is how do you determine that the punter is indeed kicking it and it's not a fake? When is it ok to tackle him? Does the receiving team have to wait until he crosses the LOS? I've learned a lot reading this post. I've found you can't use your knowledge of NCAA or NFL rules while watching high school ball.

If he has the ball he can be tackled.