AAA State Tournament

dirtydawg15

I have an observation that I'm sure a lot of people have made, but wanted to throw it out there and see what people have to say about it.

I know, I know, you can't put stake in the State Top 10, but these are the best teams in the state and it seems like I'm reading the same teams every week, just maybe in a different order. Of the 11 teams listed in the final poll, 6 come from West TN (Melrose, Southwind, White Station, Mem. Central, Craigmont, and Dyer Co.) and if I am correct only 2 of these schools will be able to make the trip to The Boro.

Of the 11 teams listed in the final poll, 4 come from East TN (Bearden, Oak Ridge, Science Hill, and Knox West). Only 2 of these schools will be able to make the trip to the Boro.

Siegel is the lone representative from Middle TN. So my question is, let's say the West TN and East TN schools listed combine for 4 spots and Siegel grabs the 5th spot, where are the other 3 teams going to come from? Who might be overlooked or who might have an easy path to Murfreesboro? I know who I want to be playing in the 1st round.

A few predictions and I'm done:

1) Melrose doesn't make it back to State. The State Tournament basically starts right now in Memphis. Everyone wants to be the one to dethrone the champ.

2) Either there isn't a dominant team in Memphis (Melrose '10, White Station '09) or there are a lot of really good teams in Memphis. This is the best chance a team from East TN has to make a run in the tournament since Maryville in '07. I think that Bearden is the class of East TN and can do something special.

3) White Station wins it all. We will check back in about a month or so and see how these played out.

I have an observation that I'm sure a lot of people have made, but wanted to throw it out there and see what people have to say about it.

I know, I know, you can't put stake in the State Top 10, but these are the best teams in the state and it seems like I'm reading the same teams every week, just maybe in a different order. Of the 11 teams listed in the final poll, 6 come from West TN (Melrose, Southwind, White Station, Mem. Central, Craigmont, and Dyer Co.) and if I am correct only 2 of these schools will be able to make the trip to The Boro.

Of the 11 teams listed in the final poll, 4 come from East TN (Bearden, Oak Ridge, Science Hill, and Knox West). Only 2 of these schools will be able to make the trip to the Boro.

Siegel is the lone representative from Middle TN. So my question is, let's say the West TN and East TN schools listed combine for 4 spots and Siegel grabs the 5th spot, where are the other 3 teams going to come from? Who might be overlooked or who might have an easy path to Murfreesboro? I know who I want to be playing in the 1st round.

1) Melrose doesn't make it back to State. The State Tournament basically starts right now in Memphis. Everyone wants to be the one to dethrone the champ.

2) Either there isn't a dominant team in Memphis (Melrose '10, White Station '09) or there are a lot of really good teams in Memphis. This is the best chance a team from East TN has to make a run in the tournament since Maryville in '07. I think that Bearden is the class of East TN and can do something special.

3) White Station wins it all. We will check back in about a month or so and see how these played out.

WhiteStation is the team to beat out of Memphis. Dyer C0. has to go through a few Memphis teams to get to the Boro. The only chance they have is if they can get the Sub-State game at home. They have got to learn to play their game against these powerful Memphis teams to have a chance at the Gold Ball. They played WhiteStation at the Fedex last month and looked scared and intimidated. They are a better team than what they showed that day. If the real team shows up, Dyer Co. can play with anyone.

I think the case this year is that you have a lot of good teams in Memphis not just one who is above the rest. It will be interesting to see how a fairly new school in Southwind matches up against the traditional powers come tournament time seeing that they don't have a lot of post season success.

Currently living in Murfreesboro I haven't been able to see any of the Memphis teams this year but it looks to be the usual crowd fighting to survive what is by far the best and most competitive basketball in the state period. I invite anyone who doesn't agree to visit the Region 8AAA tournament and then try to argue.

In regards do Dyer County I hear they are very perimiter oriented and will struggle against someone with an inside presence.

I've seen Siegel play and while they certainly have size inside they aren't very strong at gaurd and I am pretty sure they will cruise until they meet a team that has a good point gaurd and ultimately fall just as they did last year when they got an up close and personal look at why Chris Jones was such a highly regarded prospect.

If anyone has any information about a team please feel free to share.

Can't wait to see who will still be standing by Thrusday March 17th.

BEARDEN is that the same team that didnt win there confernce?So does that make west a team 2 do something speacial.i guys your a bulldog fan

I think the case this year is that you have a lot of good teams in Memphis not just one who is above the rest. It will be interesting to see how a fairly new school in Southwind matches up against the traditional powers come tournament time seeing that they don't have a lot of post season success.

Currently living in Murfreesboro I haven't been able to see any of the Memphis teams this year but it looks to be the usual crowd fighting to survive what is by far the best and most competitive basketball in the state period. I invite anyone who doesn't agree to visit the Region 8AAA tournament and then try to argue.

In regards do Dyer County I hear they are very perimiter oriented and will struggle against someone with an inside presence.

I've seen Siegel play and while they certainly have size inside they aren't very strong at gaurd and I am pretty sure they will cruise until they meet a team that has a good point gaurd and ultimately fall just as they did last year when they got an up close and personal look at why Chris Jones was such a highly regarded prospect.

If anyone has any information about a team please feel free to share.

Can't wait to see who will still be standing by Thrusday March 17th.

Southwind is a solid team. I think that they are clearly the second best team in Memphis. Excellent coaching and good players. I think that the post season experience will not factor in much because they played in many challeging games this year. I agree that whoever makes it out of that region, will be extremely tough to beat in the state. Memphis Tn all day...

I think Southwind and White Station will represent West TN in AAA.

Southwind has the best Sophomore in the state in Jonathan "J3" Williams. Kedorian Sullivan and Darious Paige will be key assets if Southwind plans on making a run. They're definately a tough trio to stop. I think they make it to Murfreesboro.

White Station has picked right up from where they left off last year. Andre Hollins is leading the way for WS with the Nino Johnson and Marvin Williams doing the dirty work in the post. They're extremely talented at all 5 spots on the floor and in my opinion will win the AAA state championship this year.

Yes, I am a Bearden fan, but actually Bearden did win their district. They shared the title with West. They split district games and then Bearden beat them in a Christmas tournament. Thus, 2-1 dawgs on the season. They should play Wednesday in the district finals and I don't think that Bearden will lose on a neutral floor. Bearden is also the team that gave Melrose all they wanted in the state semis last year. There are two players on that team, not on this team, but Greene, White and Fair are a year older and a year better. Three really tough guards make this team go.

Yes, I am a Bearden fan, but actually Bearden did win their district. They shared the title with West. They split district games and then Bearden beat them in a Christmas tournament. Thus, 2-1 dawgs on the season. They should play Wednesday in the district finals and I don't think that Bearden will lose on a neutral floor. Bearden is also the team that gave Melrose all they wanted in the state semis last year. There are two players on that team, not on this team, but Greene, White and Fair are a year older and a year better. Three really tough guards make this team go.

They gave Melrose all they wanted, huh....How many points did they lose by? Bearden is good every year but get bounced out of the state when they play somebody from the West. They need to travel to Memphis and play in some Memphis tournaments so they will have an idea what they will face during the state tournament.

Edited by Icy

DirtyDawg15,

Here's my "take" on your predictions:

--------------------------------------------------

1) Agree.

Melrose 2011 is merely a shadow of its 2010 State Championship team. The reason: In a nutshell, they simply have not come close (IMHO) to replacing the productivity of two key players from that Championship team -- PG-Chris Jones and Center Nate Rucker....ESPECIALLY Chris Jones!

Edit: Heck, I almost forgot... add a 3rd & 4th player also: long-range bomber, Holliman, and Mr. "Scrappy"/do-it-all Bobby Parks, Jr.

Melrose lost a TON of productivity!!!!!!

2) There is NO dominant team in Memphis.

In my observation, last year's crop of Memphis teams were head-and-shoulders better than this years batch. Last year, there were at least 3 or 4 other Memphis teams that were fully equipped to make a legitimate run @ the State Title. This year, there MIGHT be 1 or 2 (White Station and Southwind, IMHO).

-- I agree that THIS is the year that a non-Memphis team could emerge as AAA State Champs.

3) I also like White Station's chances.

Despite their earlier losses to Melrose, I remain convinced that WS will be one of two (my projection) teams that emerge from Memphis and into State Tournament.

--------------------------------

NOTE: Ridgeway will be the team to beat in 2012! They will return basically their ENTIRE starting five, plus a host of bench players!

Edited by TraderB