Cannon Co vs Elizabethton

HSespn

The only thing that I will predict with confidence is that Elizabethton will have to travel a lot further to get to the 'Boro than Cannon will.

Seriously though, does anyone have any good info/scouting report on Elizabethton other than the fact that they have a great team?

Edited by woodvegas

Elizabethton is a very skilled well coached team. Their little point guard is what makes them go. Fulton's run to get back in the game took place while she was on the bench with foul trouble. All five players on the floor are capable of scoring. Their only loss was to CAK and that was after they beat CAK by 30 earlier. They havent played alot of close games this year, and I dont think teams have tried to press them much as they have good handlers and a very quick skilled point guard. They slice and dice on offense and all their kids can and will shoot the 3. Their weakness would be that they dont go more than 6 or 7 deep, and they are a smallish bunch---nobody that plays is over about 5-9. But they do rebound well. And they defend the half court very well. If they are shooting the 3 ball well, they are going to be tough for any team to beat. If they get McMinn Central in the semis, it will be interesting to see how McMinns press works against Eliz. I dont think many teams have tried to press them. Eliz does have a good press but only use it if they get behind due to the limited use of their bench. Im sure Cannon's coach is getting tape from CAK and Fulton's coaches and Eliz's coach is getting tape as well. Eliz played in the state two years ago so most of the starters have prior experience. This side of the bracket is loaded in my opinion. I think the three teams playing the best ball are Cannon Eliz and McMinn Central. This bracket also has to play three in three days which means conditioning and fatigue will be big come friday and saturday for the team that survives out of the bracket. Now what does Cannon County bring to the table?

The only thing that I will predict with confidence is that Elizabethton will have to travel a lot further to get to the 'Boro than Cannon will.

Seriously though, does anyone have any good info/scouting report on Elizabethton other than the fact that they have a great team?

A good friend of mine has seen Elizabethton play a few times this year. I'll talk to him tomorrow for his assessment. Looking at the resluts of this season, they beat most everyone they played pretty soundly. Their only loss was by 3 points to a solid CAK team.

FYI: According to CoachT, Elizabethton's SOS (Strength of Schedule) is 38th. Cannon's SOS is 34th. So, assuming that CoachT is remotely accurate, both Cannon Co. and Elizabethton played a similar SOS.

Now what does Cannon County bring to the table?

Hmmmm, on the surface at least, the two teams sound similar. Cannon also does not have great height, about the same as Elizabethton it sounds like. Cannon is a well balanced team and anyone can score. There really is no one player you can key on defensively. All starters will shoot the 3 or drive inside. One of Cannon's guards holds the state of TN record for career 3 pointers. They use the full court press selectively depending on how effective it is. I have not seen anyone have much success trying to press them. They prefer to play man-to-man defense but will at times play a zone. They typically play 7 or 8 and start 3 seniors who have a lot of experience. They've played in their fair share of close big games over the last couple of years (for example, they won their region finals game in OT both this year and last year). They are well conditioned and will fast break whenever the opportunity presents itself. 5 of their 7 losses were to 2 teams who were ranked 4th and 5th in the state who they eventually beat in the district and region tourney. This sounds like an interesting matchup.

The good news is that if Lipscomb upsets McMinn Central they probably won't have anything left in the tank when they play the winner of the Cannon-Elizabethton game. I know it's not much but that's the only good news I can think of being in this bracket.

There's no doubt the bottom bracket is the killer. I think Liberty cruises through the top bracket. They are tall and athletic. I am pulling for Mcminn throughout. I met Johnny last year and he's a class guy. He deserves a Gold Ball. I feel like the only thing that gives Liberty a shot at McMinn is that given they win it will be Thur, Fri., and Sat. in a tougher bracket. But it would not suprise me to see Mcminn win convincingly all the way through. We (GC) had our hands full last year with them.

I took Cannon Co. in this game due to strength of schedule. Elizabethton has a great record, but their schedule was somewhat weak. That is no knock to the Cyclones though. They won alot of games reguardless of who they played. Cannon Co.'s schedule was pretty tough with Upperman, Livingston, McMinn Central etc. This should be one of the better 1st round AA games, but I think Cannon comes out on top in a close one. Good luck!

I took Cannon Co. in this game due to strength of schedule. Elizabethton has a great record, but their schedule was somewhat weak. That is no knock to the Cyclones though. They won alot of games reguardless of who they played. Cannon Co.'s schedule was pretty tough with Upperman, Livingston, McMinn Central etc. This should be one of the better 1st round AA games, but I think Cannon comes out on top in a close one. Good luck!

I think Betsy wins in a nail biter. I believe these are 2 of the 4 best teams in the tourney.

Now what does Cannon County bring to the table?

Let me add a couple more things to my previous comments...

It was at the beginning of the season and may have been a fluke but I guess it should be noted that Cannon did defeat McMinn Central giving them their only loss of the season.

Also, Cannon will have more of a homecourt advantage since we live only 20 minutes away from the 'Boro and many of us work there and go there for entertainment, eating out, etc. We won't have the distraction of staying in a hotel.

If you're not familiar with the 'Boro here are a few of my recommendations:

Best hotel:

Embassy Suites (next to The Avenue) http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/MBTESES-Embassy-Suites-Murfreesboro-Hotel-Conference-Center-Tennessee/index.do

Places to kill time:

The Avenue Shopping Complex http://murfreesboro.shoptheavenue.com/

Stones River Mall http://www.stonesrivermall.com/

Carmike Movie Theater http://www.carmike.com/showtimes.aspx?fct=5&tid=50

Best Breakfast=Cracker Barrel (there's 2), IHOP (next to Stones River Mall), Mimi's Cafe (at The Avenue)

Best Burgers=Five Guys and Red Robin

Steak=Longhorn's, Chophouse

Fish=The Bonefish Grill

Italian=Romano's Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, Carrabas

Pizza=Old Chicago

Tex-Mex=Chuys, Chili's

Chinese=Pei Wei

Barbecue=Jim and Nick's

Soul Food=Kleer-Vu, Jeff's Family Restaurant

Best Dinner (just my opinion)=Five Senses

Most Fun/Sport's Bar=Toot's

Something for everyone=Demos' (fast and reasonably priced), Logan's Roadhouse, Outback Steakhouse, Puelo's

Restaurants close to MTSU=Mellow Mushroom (pizza), Slick Pig Barbeque, Applebee's, Limestone Mexican Grill

Edited by woodvegas

Let me add a couple more things to my previous comments...

It was at the beginning of the season and may have been a fluke but I guess it should be noted that Cannon did defeat McMinn Central giving them their only loss of the season.

Also, Cannon will have more of a homecourt advantage since we live only 20 minutes away from the 'Boro and many of us work there and go there for entertainment, eating out, etc. We won't have the distraction of staying in a hotel.

If you're not familiar with the 'Boro here are a few of my recommendations:

Best hotel:

Embassy Suites (next to The Avenue) http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/MBTESES-Embassy-Suites-Murfreesboro-Hotel-Conference-Center-Tennessee/index.do

Places to kill time:

The Avenue Shopping Complex http://murfreesboro.shoptheavenue.com/

Stones River Mall http://www.stonesrivermall.com/

Carmike Movie Theater http://www.carmike.com/showtimes.aspx?fct=5&tid=50

Best Breakfast=Cracker Barrel (there's 2), IHOP (next to Stones River Mall), Mimi's Cafe (at The Avenue)

Best Burgers=Five Guys and Red Robin

Steak=Longhorn's, Chophouse

Fish=The Bonefish Grill

Italian=Romano's Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, Carrabas

Pizza=Old Chicago

Tex-Mex=Chuys, Chili's

Chinese=Pei Wei

Barbecue=Jim and Nick's

Soul Food=Kleer-Vu, Jeff's Family Restaurant

Best Dinner (just my opinion)=Five Senses

Most Fun/Sport's Bar=Toot's

Something for everyone=Demos' (fast and reasonably priced), Logan's Roadhouse, Outback Steakhouse, Puelo's

Restaurants close to MTSU=Mellow Mushroom (pizza), Slick Pig Barbeque, Applebee's, Limestone Mexican Grill

I wouldn't call Cannon Co's victory over McMinn Central in November a fluke at all. Bottom line is that Cannon Co. outplayed (and probably outcoached) McMinn Central in that game. No excuses, Cannon Co. got it done that game.

Been to the 'boro a few times myself, and love the atmosphere of state tournament play. Since you live so close, maybe you'd like to invite people over to your house to eat? :hungry:

Edited by blitzinbuc