Class A West Tennessee Basketball

silverdalefan

How did the single A basketball in West Tennessee compare this year to past years? I saw where Lake County and Middleton were both in the state tournament this year and wondered how they compared to the good Union City teams, Manassas, Humbolt, Westwood, and teams from other years?

The teams from West TN that will be at state this year are no comparison to the Union City team from a few years ago with MJ Brown or with Marquis Weddle. Nor will I compare them to Manassas only because neither team will have a Reggie Buckner. Lake Co. and Middleton are still both good teams though. Lake Co. has been extremely hot as of late and have a new addition to their team that they did not have during the season. If Lake Co. can get past CSAS, I'll give them a legit shot at winning state. The CSAS/Lake Co. game will be an extremely tight game.

The teams from West TN that will be at state this year are no comparison to the Union City team from a few years ago with MJ Brown or with Marquis Weddle. Nor will I compare them to Manassas only because neither team will have a Reggie Buckner. Lake Co. and Middleton are still both good teams though. Lake Co. has been extremely hot as of late and have a new addition to their team that they did not have during the season. If Lake Co. can get past CSAS, I'll give them a legit shot at winning state. The CSAS/Lake Co. game will be an extremely tight game.

I just don't know if Lake County beating Humbolt, Westwood, and Middleton is as impressive as it would have been in years past. Humbolt really hasn't done anything in the state lately, Westwood is really no better than they were last year when Grace beat them. Middleton I don't know anything about them, may have been the matchup in LC's favor. Just not sold on how good a team Lake County is. Maybe they are really good. If they are really good then the west must have been awesome this year.

taydizzle don't worry us poor ole Lake Co. fans just hope we can show that we are good enough to be on the same court as the mighty CSAS Patriots. We don't play very good basketball here in west TN and we will be taking notes to learn us some of that Chattnooga ball. Those 3 state titles that have come out west in the last five years were luck!! ;) Lake Co. is battle tested and will be ready to play Wednesday!!

I just don't know if Lake County beating Humbolt, Westwood, and Middleton is as impressive as it would have been in years past. Humbolt really hasn't done anything in the state lately, Westwood is really no better than they were last year when Grace beat them. Middleton I don't know anything about them, may have been the matchup in LC's favor. Just not sold on how good a team Lake County is. Maybe they are really good. If they are really good then the west must have been awesome this year.

im sure your assumption will change once you see how lake co plays there will be no slow poke ball instead more like fast and furious and high pressure D o yea make sure to check middleton out to while youre there theyre pretty good too

Humboldt is not what they have been over years past this year. No Charles Taylor, No Tevin Crayton, No EJ Epperson... They just don't have that big time player like they used to. Yea, Quan Campbell, but he hasn't done near as much this year as he has done over his first few years at 'boldt. I'm not surprised with Lake Co. beating Humboldt 2 times in the postseason. I was somewhat surprised they beat Westwood. Westwood is a very good Single A team who I thought had a chance to make a run at state. That win right there shows that Lake Co. is going to be tough for anyone to beat. One thing that this Lake Co. team has over the previous few years is discipline. I think Coach Barger has their respect and attention. She's a good coach on top of that.

You may be correct in saying that but then again..at the same time,although no stars,these teams are pretty good teams.If you are going going to talk about the great Union City or Humboldt teams of past,then Lake Co would have to be in the mix then also.Lake Co had Channin Geanes,Brandon Springer and Russell Avery that should have beaten that Union City team all 3 times that year but Sisco must have been wearing his lucky rabbit's foot.Lake Co had a 4 point lead in one of those games with about a minute left and lose after Channin missed a couple free throws.The next game was M.J. hitting that 3 pointer at the buzzer with Lake Co up by two.And Lake Co ebat Humboldt 3 times when they had Epperson,Kelcey Rose and Co..Not any star players now but still are good teams.Ralfhael Tyler,a junior is very good..Devon Jones,a 6'3 sophomore isn't flasy although I have seen some moves on some fast breaks I didn't think he could do.But he is steady..The little guard, Zay Coleman ,a freshman is a wizard at handling the ball.Has taken pressure off of Rafhael.B.J. Gauldin,at 6'7 has gotten better as the year has went along.Has started about the last 5 games for Lake Co.Ricky Boys,a junior, in more of an athlete than anything,just a hard nosed scrappy player. Caleb Bledsoe,about 6'4and a junior comes off the bench after starting most of the yea.And now with Swift,another junior in the lineup now..this team isn't too bad.May not be as good as those teams but are still a young team as everyone will be back next year except for Gauldin.

Edited by mrbigster

You may be correct in saying that but then again..at the same time,although no stars,these teams are pretty good teams.If you are going going to talk about the great Union City or Humboldt teams of past,then Lake Co would have to be in the mix then also.Lake Co had Channin Geanes,Brandon Springer and Russell Avery that should have beaten that Union City team all 3 times that year but Sisco must have been wearing his lucky rabbit's foot.Lake Co had a 4 point lead in one of those games with about a minute left and lose after Channin missed a couple free throws.The next game was M.J. hitting that 3 pointer at the buzzer with Lake Co up by two.And Lake Co ebat Humboldt 3 times when they had Epperson,Kelcey Rose and Co..Not any star players now but still are good teams.Ralfhael Tyler,a junior is very good..Devon Jones,a 6'3 sophomore isn't flasy although I have seen some moves on some fast breaks I didn't think he could do.But he is steady..The little guard, Zay Coleman ,a freshman is a wizard at handling the ball.Has taken pressure off of Rafhael.B.J. Gauldin,at 6'7 has gotten better as the year has went along.Has started about the last 5 games for Lake Co.Ricky Boys,a junior, in more of an athlete than anything,just a hard nosed scrappy player. Caleb Bledsoe,about 6'4and a junior comes off the bench after starting most of the yea.And now with Swift,another junior in the lineup now..this team isn't too bad.May not be as good as those teams but are still a young team as everyone will be back next year except for Gauldin.

Maybe or maybe not as good who knows. But it don't really matter Lake County is representing 14A at the Boro. Good luck to the Falcons and as i see it the Falcons have as good of chance to win it as anyone! Good luck to Middleton as well would luv to see it come down to the Tigers and Falcons! Good luck to the Falcons and the Tigers! Once again great job by Coach Barger! :thumb:

Edited by zebra99

Maybe or maybe not as good who knows. But it don't really matter Lake County is representing 14A at the Boro. Good luck to the Falcons and as i see it the Falcons have as good of chance to win it as anyone! Good luck to Middleton as well would luv to see it come down to the Tigers and Falcons! Good luck to the Falcons and the Tigers! Once again great job by Coach Barger! :thumb:

I believe Pioneer is right somewhat because if you look at maybe Russell Avery,Channin Geanes,and Tony Tyler,if you matched these players we have now individually,then no..the talent level isn't as good.I'm sure the same if you matched up the Viking players now against Taylor,Rose,Epperson and some of those guys.But also a lot of teams that have those type players try to do too much or be the team.Not as team concept minded.Plus,Humboldt and Lake Co both have a lot returniing so maybe next year,both can be considered in the same company as some of the previous teams

Edited by mrbigster

Lake County has a chance to be just as good as MJ Browns Union City team, just win the next three games and in my mind you are just as good. When that Gold Ball is in the showcase, noboby can question who was the best that year. Its everybodys opinion after that, when you start comparing the 2007 champ to the 2010 champ.

It really doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things anyway.

Go Lake County!