Baseball Fields

middletontigerfan

Can anyone explain to me how Scotts Hill is even eligible to host home games when there are no lights on their field and they do not have adequate bathroom facilities? They have been at that field long enough to have taken care of these things. It is ridiculous to play ball where the game must end before it gets dark and to have to stand in line to use a "port-a-potty"!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain to me how Scotts Hill is even eligible to host home games when there are no lights on their field and they do not have adequate bathroom facilities? They have been at that field long enough to have taken care of these things. It is ridiculous to play ball where the game must end before it gets dark and to have to stand in line to use a "port-a-potty"!

Agree :popcorneater:

Columbia Central has no lights on their baseball field and uses a port-a-potty for their restroom facilities.

Tullahoma's Grider Stadium used to be one of the best if not the best places to play at until the last few years. Now because of politics and the city taking it over its not kept up and looks like a DUMP.Already this year the teams have got there to play and the city did not have the field reay to play. I have also heard that players have been injured because the facility is no being kept up properly.

To say that a field should not be used because it does not have lights and/or restrooms is ignorant. Start earlier in the afternoon and go before you leave for the game.

Goodpasture and Lipscomb are two of the top programs in the state with MULTIPLE State Championships and neither has lights on their field OR public restrooms. Doesn't stop them from winning A LOT. FRA has won several state championships---no lights. CPA no lights. Ezell Harding didn't put them in until two years ago when someone donated the money for them. At $10,000 or so per pole, not everyone can afford them. And these are just private school examples where supposedly money runs freely. There are many public schools without lights as well simply because the budget will not pay for them.

In district 10AA, there are nine teams. Lipscomb, CPA, Stratford, Whites Creek and Pearl Cohn have their own fields. None have lights. East Lit, MLK, Hume Fogg and Maplewood have to share the two Metro fields (Shelby park and 7 Oaks) to play on along with Cane Ridge and Glencliff high schools and a host of Nashville Area middle schools. Belmont also plays at Shelby. We had to wait for Belmont to finish practicing yesterday before we could warm up for our game. 4:30 game time and we got the field at 3:50. Try that sometime.

Also, FYI. Cumberland University, the defending NAIA National Champs do not have lights. Neither does Trevecca Nazarene University.

To say that a field should not be used because it does not have lights and/or restrooms is ignorant. Start earlier in the afternoon and go before you leave for the game.

Goodpasture and Lipscomb are two of the top programs in the state with MULTIPLE State Championships and neither has lights on their field OR public restrooms. Doesn't stop them from winning A LOT. FRA has won several state championships---no lights. CPA no lights. Ezell Harding didn't put them in until two years ago when someone donated the money for them. At $10,000 or so per pole, not everyone can afford them. And these are just private school examples where supposedly money runs freely. There are many public schools without lights as well simply because the budget will not pay for them.

In district 10AA, there are nine teams. Lipscomb, CPA, Stratford, Whites Creek and Pearl Cohn have their own fields. None have lights. East Lit, MLK, Hume Fogg and Maplewood have to share the two Metro fields (Shelby park and 7 Oaks) to play on along with Cane Ridge and Glencliff high schools and a host of Nashville Area middle schools. Belmont also plays at Shelby. We had to wait for Belmont to finish practicing yesterday before we could warm up for our game. 4:30 game time and we got the field at 3:50. Try that sometime.

Also, FYI. Cumberland University, the defending NAIA National Champs do not have lights. Neither does Trevecca Nazarene University.

Now, who is being ignorant? Use the bathroom before you go to the game and start earlier...if you start earlier, the team would have to leave school before lunch time and I apologize if I need to use the restroom over a 4 hour time span. This is just my opinion...

Columbia Central has no lights on their baseball field and uses a port-a-potty for their restroom facilities.

Columbia has a great field. I don't believe that it is very old so I can understand that there might not be funds available yet to light it. Just an assumption. I was at a softball game at Shelbyville and noticed that the baseball field has a new metal outfield fence. It looks really nice as does the playing surface. If only they had saved enough money to put a door-knob on the men's restroom. LOL

Edited by tigertim2

Columbia has a great field. I don't believe that it is very old so I can understand that there might not be funds available yet to light it. Just an assumption. I was at a softball game at Shelbyville and noticed that the baseball field has a new metal outfield fence. It looks really nice as does the playing surface. If only they had saved enough money to put a door-knob on the men's restroom. LOL

Not complaining just stating that you don't need lights to have a quality facility.

Now, who is being ignorant? Use the bathroom before you go to the game and start earlier...if you start earlier, the team would have to leave school before lunch time and I apologize if I need to use the restroom over a 4 hour time span. This is just my opinion...

It is an inconvenience for sure but a lot of the smaller schools simply can't afford the lights, not sure why they couldn't at least put in bathrooms but we have at least one of each situation in our district and they've been doing it for years and always get the games in. There are even a few Jr. Colleges that don't have lights as well. I guess you just have to find you a tree to go by...lol.

To my knowledge the only high school in Davidson County (Nashville) that has lights is John Overton & this includes all of the private schools. McGavock and some of the other schools play at public parks that have lights but they do not have lights on their home fields. Many of the neighborhood associations will not give their approval for lights to be installed.

Edited by cbg

To my knowledge the only high school in Davidson County (Nashville) that has lights is John Overton & this includes all of the private schools. McGavock and some of the other schools play at public parks that have lights but they do not have lights on their home fields. Many of the neighborhood associations will not give their approval for lights to be installed.

Not only does Overton have lights, I think it is the best venue for H.S. baseball in Davidson County. However, McGavock does have lights on its own field and I'm pretty sure Ezell Harding now has lights.

Per your last comment, Ravenwood had to install the "eyelids" on their lights to comply. This keeps light from going upward, into the sky. If you get a high fly ball, it goes above the lights and becomes VERY difficult to track on the way down.

If you're not installing eye lids on your lights anyway you're just paying a pretty big portion of your utility bill for the bugs. I've seen the engineering on it and you can use fewer lights to get the same candlepower on the playing surface. It's the only way to go no matter the neighborhood.

Lipscomb not having a lights is a distinct home field advantage for them as right and center field also have to battle the afternoon sun. One of the worst places to play in middle Tennessee from that standpoint considering parking and the amount of money poured into that program. Got to be the reason why they don't fix the problem.