MBA

oblong

The MBA Board of Trust now has the perfect opportunity to clean house and start over with men that place honor & trust at the forefront of their lives. Unfortunatly that will probably not happen and the institution will be back in this very same place in a few short years. What have the young men that are attending the school now learned from this incident? My guess is that they have learned that it's ok to lie, cheat, be decitful, etc... if and when you are caught you should confess to your crimes and you will be slapped on the wrist and nothing serious will happen.

Thank you, justagame1.

As you have read, the TSSAA has not charged MBA with anything because...they self-reported and they fired their coach. It shows they are serious, Childress says. Personally, I think that MBA would have been better off if there had been some sort of reprimand. Being forced to shine a big light on the overall environment of the school would be advantageous in the long-term. There will be a group that will continue to support McGugin because of this verdict and will blame the Board of Trust. However, there simply is more to this story that validates the dismissal of McGugin. Let's just say that there is a pattern of fabrications that are and were disconcerting.

Additionally, it would be helpful if Daniel was forced to examine his behavior and acknowledge it. Trust me, he has teetered on the edge of impropriety time and time again. The TSSAA knows this and feels it necessary that he is gone. Apparently, Daniel's father and father-in-law, both attorneys, are not taking this lying down. But as you know, Daniel has never had to accept consequences and has always had someone interceding. I remember well the boys (Daniel and his twin brother Bill) playing tennis- John McEnroe had nothing on them! It is really quite sad.

You are so right about grown men living vicariously through these boys. I remember as many as sixty fathers at most MBA lower school football practices not too long ago- each and every one licking their chops at the future potential. Many had played for the Big Red and the others wished they had. Their presence was more than supporting their sons. There is parity throughout Division II and MBA struggles with that. Today, losing is not an acceptable option at MBA unless the school can minimize or mock its opponents to validate itself. Indeed, Coach Owen would have been disappointed with the loss of what's important.

Just reminds me of an Ensworth poster on here a couple of years ago who wrote "There's just a mean spirit right now at MBA." As much as it bothered me at the time, I guess it's time to accept that he was right, as evidenced by this sort of writing.

The MBA Board of Trust now has the perfect opportunity to clean house and start over with men that place honor & trust at the forefront of their lives. Unfortunatly that will probably not happen and the institution will be back in this very same place in a few short years. What have the young men that are attending the school now learned from this incident? My guess is that they have learned that it's ok to lie, cheat, be decitful, etc... if and when you are caught you should confess to your crimes and you will be slapped on the wrist and nothing serious will happen.

The last four posts have fortunately taken this mess back to some sense of civility and reflection which is somewhat refreshing. If MBA wants transparancy, accountability and fairness on this transfer of money, I would suggest it should take appropriate action against those involved in the money train-starting at the top with the person that went to the bank and got the cashiers check down the chain to anyone that handled it all the way to those that cashed it.

The last four posts have fortunately taken this mess back to some sense of civility and reflection which is somewhat refreshing. If MBA wants transparancy, accountability and fairness on this transfer of money, I would suggest it should take appropriate action against those involved in the money train-starting at the top with the person that went to the bank and got the cashiers check down the chain to anyone that handled it all the way to those that cashed it.

Here's what a serious leader would do.

-Suspend the football program indefinitely until we get to the bottom of who did what.

-Have some sort of town hall meeting at which everyone closely tied to the program (fans, parents, boosters, etc.) is required to attend. If 20 people show up, then the program will remain suspended.

-Address what happened to everyone.

-Address what the expectations are for parents/boosters as it relates to giving and accepting money.

-Lay out conditions under which the suspension can be lifted.

If people don't take it seriously, and/or something like this happens again, then the program will be permanently disbanded.

I won't hold my breath.

A private school cheating is not so unbelievable. Its been going on for decades. Its sad, but it happens. What is more unbelievable is that they got caught and now all those who regularly stated "prove it"... well, here you go.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. It happens all over with privates.

The sad part is that Bernard wont have the backbone to have TSSAA do anything about this MBA fiasco. He will say they handled it internally and TSSAA is satisfied with that.

There was recently a case involving illegal "tuition forgiveness" involving a BGA athlete that just recently transfered to a public school. It was an effort to get the sthlete to stay and they threatened his eligibility. Benard knows about it, knows they illegally forgave the student's tuition. He did nothing.

There is egg on MBA's face, but that will be the end of it.

There is plenty of "things" going on in the public schools too. They don't turn their fellow publics in because they don't want anyone looking into their programs as well. So to insinuate this is a "private" issue is the pot calling the kettle black.

There is plenty of "things" going on in the public schools too. They don't turn their fellow publics in because they don't want anyone looking into their programs as well. So to insinuate this is a "private" issue is the pot calling the kettle black.

Lets not try to shift the focus, as that is an easily spotted and circumvented ploy of the guilty. The focus is a private school that has been caught cheating. Plain and simple. You being agreeable to that is not required.

Lets not try to shift the focus, as that is an easily spotted and circumvented ploy of the guilty. The focus is a private school that has been caught cheating. Plain and simple. You being agreeable to that is not required.

Not trying to shift the blame at all. I could not care less what happens to MBA. If you paid attention to what I highlighted from a previous post and thus responded to, it was the part about someone not being surprised that private schools cheat and that it goes on in all the private schools. Perhaps I read it wrong, but I felt it was being implied that the privates are the ones cheating and that it was not an issue in the public schools. If you ask most, they will say that is why there is a DII. However, having been involved with both public and private schools myself, I can honestly say that bending if not breaking rules and finding loopholes is equally prevalent in both private and public school settings.

So, if we really don't want to shift the focus as you say, then let's just discuss MBA in this forum and not lump them with all the other private schools. How about that?

Not trying to shift the blame at all. I could not care less what happens to MBA. If you paid attention to what I highlighted from a previous post and thus responded to, it was the part about someone not being surprised that private schools cheat and that it goes on in all the private schools. Perhaps I read it wrong, but I felt it was being implied that the privates are the ones cheating and that it was not an issue in the public schools. If you ask most, they will say that is why there is a DII. However, having been involved with both public and private schools myself, I can honestly say that bending if not breaking rules and finding loopholes is equally prevalent in both private and public school settings.

So, if we really don't want to shift the focus as you say, then let's just discuss MBA in this forum and not lump them with all the other private schools. How about that?

1) It makes no difference if the monies in question were used towards tuition or not. Money is money....if it is given to a family, it frees said families other money up for tuition.

2) MBA cheated....plain and simple. Anytime a coach breaks rules, the school pays for a hire that lacked in integrity.........Unless apparently, you are MBA.

3) Private schools once again show why we have seperate divisions.....

CoachT posters, I have read through this thread and could no longer contain my views on the subject. My name is James Kay. I am a junior at MBA, and have played linebacker for the Big Red since my sophomore year. I rarely visit this website, never have posted or intended to, but I feel the need to inform you on my views on Coach McGugin and the MBA program. Mainly so you all can get a view from a player's perspective.

Coach McGugin has been one of the most influential men to me on campus through out my time on the hill. He is a man of loyalty, integrity, and a brilliant football coach. As a coach, he has pushed me to limits beyond what I imagined my capabilities to be. He is intense on the field, and pushes his players to the limits. He is passionate about the game of football, and has a great love for MBA and the community surrounding it. Off the field he is an even better person and mentor. He has encouraged me to become a better student and has helped me become the man I am today. At MBA, we are generally less talented than the team lining up across from us, but somehow find a way to win. Coach McGugin is one of the main reasons why. I am a good example of what Coach McGugin and our coaching staff have done. I am a 5'10, slow, and an average athlete. If you throw me in a basketball gym I can barely get mid-net, but because I listened to Coach McGugin, along with our coaching staff, I became one of 8 underclassmen to be elected all mid state. He makes us work hard, and coaches us hard. Sadly, a few players whom I will not name, can not distinguish between being coached and a coach being mean. I am furious about the situation that has unfolded, and I can assure you that 98% of the players are too.. As you all have probably assumed, this has been a hot topic at MBA this week, and there has been overwhelming support for our Coach from the entire team.

I have heard negative remarks on Coach McGugin, and none hold any ground. Some of these have come from parents complaining, and I believe it is because of lack of playing time from his/her son. I realize I am not a father yet, but when I am I can only hope I am not blinded by a false reality. He has always played the best players on the field, and some people can not accept this. TruthHurts posted,

"anti teams with their starting lineup filled with players who live 40,50, and 60 miles away from their campus, anti spineless headmasters who have filled the board of trustees with "yes men", anti schools sending vans and buses to Murfreesboro and North Nashville to pick up star athletes each day before school (a privilege that is only offered to the star athletes), anti special tudors who work with star players 4 and 5 days a week just to get them to pass, anti coaches who make their players feel inferior if they play another sport other than theirs"

Coach McGugin has always encouraged us to play other sports. I play three, and he was a main person who pushed me to join the wrestling team my sophomore year. Our starting lineup is consisting primarily of players who attended schools that mainly feed into MBA (Oak Hill, Harding Academy, St. Paul, Overbrook, etc.) If you do not believe me, look at the best players in our most recent graduating class (2010). Football: Fitz Lassing (Oak Hill), Basketball; Holden Mobley (Ensworth), swimming; Pat Killian (Overbrook), baseball; Jackson Roberts (Overbrook), teniss; Roger Briggs (Ensworth). Most of our team lives within 15 minutes of MBA. If a player is in academic trouble, there are no tutors that any student couldn't receive. There are no special privileges I have ever received since being on the football team. If I fail a class, get into trouble, or make bad judgement I along with every other football player has to mend it. This should be no news to anyone. This is expected because MBA is an institution where boys are to be molded into gentlemen and scholars first.

As far as our headmaster goes, I have nothing but tremendous respect for him. He has been placed in an incredibly difficult situation, and has handled it with class. I do not think many of you realize how truly complicated this situation was. I will not comment on any allegation regarding the program because anything I say would leave out critical detail that is private as of now.

MBA alums have been posting the names of board members who allegedly have opposed McGugin, and I ask you to please take their names down. I know three of the men and their families that have been named, and they are examples of extraordinary gentlemen that one day I aspire to be. Any problem that they have should remain PRIVATE and should not be talked about on this board.

In conclusion, I ask you all to leave this topic alone. Coach McGugin will go on to bigger and better things because of the coach and man that he is. I hope to remain friends with him for a long time because he is truly a man to be admired.

-James Kay

Class of 2012

Roll Red

You do yourself and your parents proud.

What's really tragic about all this is the fact that many are using this as an opportunity to take potshots at MBA, McGugin, Goia, family members, private schools and others without knowing the whole story. I don't know the whole story either, and I'm not going to sit here and play prosecutor, judge and jury like many of you are doing. It certainly appears unwise decisions were made, but I frankly find it offensive that many of you would use this opportunity to make speculative comments as if you know more than you do. Those that made mistakes will pay the penalty and life will go on.

Some of you folks love to see others fail; I suppose it gives you some comfort in your current life predicament but I think it's time we quit speculating and trying to sound as though we know more than we do. If you are going to be so negative about everyone, keep it to yourself.

• Upvote 2

What's really tragic about all this is the fact that many are using this as an opportunity to take potshots at MBA, McGugin, Goia, family members, private schools and others without knowing the whole story. I don't know the whole story either, and I'm not going to sit here and play prosecutor, judge and jury like many of you are doing. It certainly appears unwise decisions were made, but I frankly find it offensive that many of you would use this opportunity to make speculative comments as if you know more than you do. Those that made mistakes will pay the penalty and life will go on.

Some of you folks love to see others fail; I suppose it gives you some comfort in your current life predicament but I think it's time we quit speculating and trying to sound as though we know more than we do. If you are going to be so negative about everyone, keep it to yourself.

Speculating? Money illegally routed to a player's family that got a coach canned? Seems pretty open and closed without the need for speculation.

The debate is about is that punishment enough and did MBA get a less harsh punishment than another school caught in a very similar way a couple of years ago.

Lets speculate about why some folks are trying to gloss it over and sweep it under the rug...I'm sure there are some that really don't want to go there. Arrogance has a way of preventing clear thinking. Oooh, I can hear the responses now. The only problem is that they will be coming from supporters of a school that has been caught cheating. That sure takes any sting out of it.

One of the great things the football does it to provide a crucible to develop young men. But one lesson that many of us learned a long time ago is that adverstiy reveals character, not develop it. Lots of posters are revealing much about themselves and the lessons they learned at MBA.

The "Stop talking about MBA" whine sure fits into the nickname that MBA earned a very long time ago. Momma's Boys Academy.

Your school screwed up. Face it as the men you claim the school develops.

Speculating? Money illegally routed to a player's family that got a coach canned? Seems pretty open and closed without the need for speculation.

The debate is about is that punishment enough and did MBA get a less harsh punishment than another school caught in a very similar way a couple of years ago.

Lets speculate about why some folks are trying to gloss it over and sweep it under the rug...I'm sure there are some that really don't want to go there. Arrogance has a way of preventing clear thinking. Oooh, I can hear the responses now. The only problem is that they will be coming from supporters of a school that has been caught cheating. That sure takes any sting out of it.

One of the great things the football does it to provide a crucible to develop young men. But one lesson that many of us learned a long time ago is that adverstiy reveals character, not develop it. Lots of posters are revealing much about themselves and the lessons they learned at MBA.

The "Stop talking about MBA" whine sure fits into the nickname that MBA earned a very long time ago. Momma's Boys Academy.

Your school screwed up. Face it as the men you claim the school develops.

"My school"? I don't live in Nashville, have never had any family members go to MBA, have no allegialbce to the school, and haven't ever given the school a dime.

And thanks for making my point. Where did the money come from? How was it paid? Who at MBA was involved? How was anyone at MBA involved? No one on CoachT knows the answer to these questions, yet you still blast away.

And your comment about arrogance says it all. Sounds as though you belong in the bleachers, criticizing everyone without knowing the story.

Edited by Chattcity