MBA

oblong

I've got a feeling you're about to get scolded is why they are asking.

If you do have ties to MBA, you should be supportive and not say anything negative about beloved MBA. If you do not have ties, you a jealous, or petty, or some other negative comment.

Sorry to disappoint you

Whether hoosierdad has ties or not, it is clear he is a jerk. A loser who gets his kicks by ripping people on a chat room. Proud of ya!

Bigredguard13, how am I a jerk? I have done nothing wrong here. I only pointed out what happened on the Hill. I take it by your post that you must support the actions of a few. I do not. Now who is the jerk? Open mouth and insert foot. Those on the hill that were involved in shady dealings are the jerks. They are the ones who have placed this pall on the MBA name. Not me. Who is the loser here? Not me comrade. The losers are the young men who had faith and trust that everything was being done right. Well, sorry to disappoint, it was not. For if it was, we would not be in this mess we are in.

Next time you want to try and throw a lob, think first and turn your computer off.

My ties go back a few years. I also have every right to ask for this mess to be cleaned up. You; however, sound like you want it swept under the rug. Life does not work like that. I am supportive of MBA when it is warranted. However, in this case, a good cleansing is needed.

P.S. You have made my day telling me that you are proud of me. I will sleep much better tonight.

Edited by hoosierdad

Bigredguard13, how am I a jerk? I have done nothing wrong here. I only pointed out what happened on the Hill. I take it by your post that you must support the actions of a few. I do not. Now who is the jerk? Open mouth and insert foot. Those on the hill that were involved in shady dealings are the jerks. They are the ones who have placed this pall on the MBA name. Not me. Who is the loser here? Not me comrade. The losers are the young men who had faith and trust that everything was being done right. Well, sorry to disappoint, it was not. For if it was, we would not be in this mess we are in.

Next time you want to try and throw a lob, think first and turn your computer off.

My ties go back a few years. I also have every right to ask for this mess to be cleaned up. You; however, sound like you want it swept under the rug. Life does not work like that. I am supportive of MBA when it is warranted. However, in this case, a good cleansing is needed.

P.S. You have made my day telling me that you are proud of me. I will sleep much better tonight.

I haven't always agreed with your posts, and I have no idea what your ties to MBA are. For what it's worth, though, I think you've been pretty much dead-on as this topic has gone. I also recall (not in great detail, sadly) some rather prescient comments you posted at the time McGugin was hired. If you have any thoughts on Saturday's lottery numbers, please share them with me privately.

Is this what I remember to be true? During Jeff Rutledge's tenure at MBA, McGugin was an assistant. He was known to support the coach in public, but among the assistants, he dissed Rutledge at every turn. He then left for FRA. While FRA has little nice to say about McGugin, he left on his own accord for another opportunity at MBA after one year. Gioia informed Rutledge that he was rehiring McGugin at which point Rutledge made it clear that he did not want McGugin back on his staff. It was during this time that Gioia and McGugin were spotted, huddled in the corner of a coffee shop close by to MBA. They met there several times during the middle of the day. My eyes saw them. Maybe it meant nothing, but it was odd. It was shortly thereafter that Rutledge was fired. Rutledge saw the handwriting on the wall. He understood that if the Anointed One, McGugin was coming back, his job was in jeopardy. He began to ask around for other possible job opportunities-one of which was BA where his children attended school. That's all it took for Gioia to fire him. How dare he talk to Brentwood Academy. Every MBA alum that we spoke with relayed the same scenario- he talked with BA! Of course he was fired! MBA then said that they were doing a large search for a new head coach and within a month, they named McGugin. Just saying....

There is so much more to this story. The Board of Trust and Gioia know the full truth, but to have it exposed will ruin MBA's reputation. What has happened at MBA should prevent them from even having a football program. McGugin is both "immoral and unethical" as is the school for not giving the TSSAA the full history

of McGugin's antics. This is MBA's style it seems under Gioia. I am embarrassed to say that the school is not interested in truth, honor and integrity. It's about protecting its ####. And why did this whole thing take so long? Ask the Board.

What are the chances of the Scene investigating this-follow the money!! But it too has the MBA ties and is probably fearful to offend. Shame-

I believe that it is time to move on from this topic. The family involved has not posted and refuses to share their side on this site or with the media. Their son had extremely good reasons for quitting the football program after this season was over. He had been lied to and harassed by the coach over and over again. The coach was constantly emailing and texting him at all times of the day. The coach was unethical and dishonest to the young man. He could no longer take it and decided to quit the team. It had nothing to do with him thinking that the coach was working him too hard as this young man loves football and never complained about the tough practices. In fact, he loved the hard workouts in preparation for games. MBA would not leave it alone and kept asking him over and over again why he wasn't going to play football and he remained silent. It is not in his character to speak poorly or unkindly about others and especially an elder. The family was approached several times by the school administration about coming in and talking about why their son had quit the team and they declined to speak about the situation. Finally, the headmaster convinced them to come and speak to him about their son's decision and they went forward to see him with a letter. The letter was written because they wanted to have all their facts in order and not get emotional. The family loves MBA and doesn't want anymore bad light shed upon the school. They thought everything that was said that day to the headmaster was in confidence and had no idea that all of this was going to end up in the media.

Please for the sake of MBA, this family, and the McGugin family, let's move on from these hurtful comments.

I believe that it is time to move on from this topic. The family involved has not posted and refuses to share their side on this site or with the media. Their son had extremely good reasons for quitting the football program after this season was over. He had been lied to and harassed by the coach over and over again. The coach was constantly emailing and texting him at all times of the day. The coach was unethical and dishonest to the young man. He could no longer take it and decided to quit the team. It had nothing to do with him thinking that the coach was working him too hard as this young man loves football and never complained about the tough practices. In fact, he loved the hard workouts in preparation for games. MBA would not leave it alone and kept asking him over and over again why he wasn't going to play football and he remained silent. It is not in his character to speak poorly or unkindly about others and especially an elder. The family was approached several times by the school administration about coming in and talking about why their son had quit the team and they declined to speak about the situation. Finally, the headmaster convinced them to come and speak to him about their son's decision and they went forward to see him with a letter. The letter was written because they wanted to have all their facts in order and not get emotional. The family loves MBA and doesn't want anymore bad light shed upon the school. They thought everything that was said that day to the headmaster was in confidence and had no idea that all of this was going to end up in the media.

Please for the sake of MBA, this family, and the McGugin family, let's move on from these hurtful comments.

I am not speaking about the young man and his family. I feel badly for them after the thrashing they have taken on this thread. I can well imagine the harassment that this 17 year old endured because his quitting the team was a rejection of McGugin himself and MBA and Gioia as a whole. As I've said before, winning at all costs is important to these players and I mean in everything- not just in the game of football. Crossing McGugin has always been hazardous-he only knows retribution. Sad, but true. I speak of OTHER instances that the Board and the Headmaster know about that are more disturbing than this particular story. Again, who supplied the money? The answer is an important part of this story. Additionally, these patterns of impropriety have impacted some middle school athletes as well to ensure they stay at MBA. The TSSAA has no jurisdiction over Middle school matters and that's great for MBA-unfortunate in every other way. If MBA refuses to be forthcoming with all the details, a vacuum will be created and people will continue to attempt to fill that vacuum with rumor and maybe facts which is human nature. The discussions will not end until MBA is totally truthful because something is awry here.

There have been a few good posts on here lately that have struck at the heart of the matter regarding the dismisal of the football coach. His pattern of manipulation, dishonesty and vindictiveness towards the kids and families had reached a point where the evidence of a pay for play scenario was just the tipping-point incident that was needed to take the appropriate action that has been taken. The family at the center of the controversy is a good, solid family who did receive ill gotten gains by accepting the money - and their son is indeed a hard working, tough-minded young man. Unfortunately, there are a string of similar and real examples under the former coach's reign where the kids & families had been through unenjoyable experiences with the coach and had exercised their right to vote with their feet and not subject themselves to further tirades. There is a deafening silence that has been present over the past couple of weeks as the void of mass support by the former players coming to the support of the former coach was palpable. Except for the articulate message from the young Mr. Kay there hasn't been a real visible showing of support from many of the boys that toiled for him during his short stay at MBA. He just simply had not developed the kind of rapport with the boys that warranted the support. The MBA inside family knew of these examples and you can bet they weighed heavily in the politically charged decision to oust the coach. Kudos to the leadership for reaching the right decision. However, the timing and the communications process chosen by the leadership and the former coach have left a lot to be desired - they just simply could not control the message like they wanted to and it got real awkward on The Hill over the past 10+ days or so.

In the end, after the lawyers postured & positioned themselves for both parties the right outcome was reached for the benefit of the kids and the school. A distasteful outcome in this whole mess seems to be the state of denial that the former coach and his MBA board member daddy & his cronies - seem to be in by insisting that it be publicly communicated that "he is a person of high integrity and morals". Give us a break....manipulation and dishonesty towards the boys, vindictiveness and control of anyone that disagreed with him, a sense of entitlement, the bag man for a pay for play soap-opera and other character flaws don't really add up to a person who claims to act with integrity and a True North moral compass. As for winning high school football games, with the depth of talent that MBA has every year - they don't have a ton of great players but they do have a lot more good players than most other teams - there are a lot of people who could take these kids and win 40+ games. It's time to move on, select the new coach who hopefully will do a better job of keeping the proper things in perspective for young people and remember that this is high school football we're talking about here.

Rutledge saw the handwriting on the wall. He understood that if the Anointed One, McGugin was coming back, his job was in jeopardy. He began to ask around for other possible job opportunities-one of which was BA where his children attended school. That's all it took for Gioia to fire him. How dare he talk to Brentwood Academy. Every MBA alum that we spoke with relayed the same scenario- he talked with BA! Of course he was fired!

Do you really think that's what happened? It would be hard to take anything else you are writing seriously if so.

There have been a few good posts on here lately that have struck at the heart of the matter regarding the dismisal of the football coach. His pattern of manipulation, dishonesty and vindictiveness towards the kids and families had reached a point where the evidence of a pay for play scenario was just the tipping-point incident that was needed to take the appropriate action that has been taken. The family at the center of the controversy is a good, solid family who did receive ill gotten gains by accepting the money - and their son is indeed a hard working, tough-minded young man. Unfortunately, there are a string of similar and real examples under the former coach's reign where the kids & families had been through unenjoyable experiences with the coach and had exercised their right to vote with their feet and not subject themselves to further tirades. There is a deafening silence that has been present over the past couple of weeks as the void of mass support by the former players coming to the support of the former coach was palpable. Except for the articulate message from the young Mr. Kay there hasn't been a real visible showing of support from many of the boys that toiled for him during his short stay at MBA. He just simply had not developed the kind of rapport with the boys that warranted the support. The MBA inside family knew of these examples and you can bet they weighed heavily in the politically charged decision to oust the coach. Kudos to the leadership for reaching the right decision. However, the timing and the communications process chosen by the leadership and the former coach have left a lot to be desired - they just simply could not control the message like they wanted to and it got real awkward on The Hill over the past 10+ days or so.

In the end, after the lawyers postured & positioned themselves for both parties the right outcome was reached for the benefit of the kids and the school. A distasteful outcome in this whole mess seems to be the state of denial that the former coach and his MBA board member daddy & his cronies - seem to be in by insisting that it be publicly communicated that "he is a person of high integrity and morals". Give us a break....manipulation and dishonesty towards the boys, vindictiveness and control of anyone that disagreed with him, a sense of entitlement, the bag man for a pay for play soap-opera and other character flaws don't really add up to a person who claims to act with integrity and a True North moral compass. As for winning high school football games, with the depth of talent that MBA has every year - they don't have a ton of great players but they do have a lot more good players than most other teams - there are a lot of people who could take these kids and win 40+ games. It's time to move on, select the new coach who hopefully will do a better job of keeping the proper things in perspective for young people and remember that this is high school football we're talking about here.

you clearly are an angry man and probably the dad of one of the 3 players that quit this team. If the deafening silence you refer to is the lack of posts on a message board frequented by only a few then you are exactly right, thats not how we express ourselves. Because I doubt you are refering to the thousands ofmessages, calls, loud shouts of support for Coach Mcg during this time. Since your son probably quit the team he wouldn't be able to report back to you that our teammates loved Coach and are devastated he is not here. We do have great coaches, and we are lucky we still lucky to work with Coach Brock, Rod, Sanders, Barclay, etc.

keep taking your shots though, I am sure it is good entertainment for you and your buddies to read what each other wrote