MBA

oblong

"My school"? I don't live in Nashville, have never had any family members go to MBA, have no allegialbce to the school, and haven't ever given the school a dime.

And thanks for making my point. Where did the money come from? How was it paid? Who at MBA was involved? How was anyone at MBA involved? No one on CoachT knows the answer to these questions, yet you still blast away.

And your comment about arrogance says it all. Sounds as though you belong in the bleachers, criticizing everyone without knowing the story.

Oh, so you want people to name names? Even though you dont live in Nashville have no family members at MBA? Right. I smell a rat in our midst.

Why do you need the "who" of this story when you won't know who they are anyway? MBA cheated. It tarnishes the entire school. TSSAA doesnt have the backbone to do anything about it. And since no further deals will ever be confirmed, all that is left is the mistakes of a few smearing a once grand school. They can be that again, I think. But it will take a lot of changes at a lot of levels. I personally dont think those left involved with the school has the integrity to make the tough, right decisions.

Oh, so you want people to name names? Even though you dont live in Nashville have no family members at MBA? Right. I smell a rat in our midst.

Why do you need the "who" of this story when you won't know who they are anyway? MBA cheated. It tarnishes the entire school. TSSAA doesnt have the backbone to do anything about it. And since no further deals will ever be confirmed, all that is left is the mistakes of a few smearing a once grand school. They can be that again, I think. But it will take a lot of changes at a lot of levels. I personally dont think those left involved with the school has the integrity to make the tough, right decisions.

Why does MBA get away with violating a penalty with small, Grace Baptist practically gets the death penalty, May 2010 for basically the same violation. Do you think money has anything to do with it, similar to NCAA and Cam Newton issue.........

Grace Christian Academy’s athletic program has been penalized for using an ineligible football and basketball player who was receiving financial aid for tuition from the pastor at Grace Baptist Church.

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association sent a letter Friday to Grace Christian’s administration in which it said it found the school violated rules by playing senior Eric Williams since the 2007 football season.

Among the TSSAA’s penalties were fines expected to exceed $24,000, a two-year ban from postseason play for the boys basketball and football teams, an immediate one-year ban from postseason play for the entire athletic program and a three-year general probation period.

TSSAA Executive Director Bernard Childress said the $24,000 is the largest sum levied on a school for fines and charges in his 16 years with the association. Grace Academy must pay a $100 fine for each game Williams played because it was not a school-reported violation and repay the TSSAA for all proceeds from postseason tournaments/playoff games in football and basketball since 2007.

“There hasn’t been (that much) in 16 years,†Childress said Monday, “but we haven’t had a situation either where a school had to go back three years to send (to TSSAA) all the money back.â€

The TSSAA’s penalties also state that Grace Academy must vacate any victories in which Williams played during three football seasons (2007-09) and three basketball seasons (2007-10), and any individual or team records and performances achieved during those times must be vacated, stricken or returned to the TSSAA.

Grace Christian Principal Randy Down, who has served as interim athletic director since last year, said the school administration didn’t know it was breaking TSSAA rules.

“Since this was one isolated incident and this action was one of ignorance and not disregarding the rule, we feel strongly about the many student-athletes at GCA who have adhered to TSSAA rules,†Down said. “We feel that the penalties from the TSSAA are unusually harsh. Grace Christian Academy will be appealing the severity and duration of this ruling on behalf of our families and their students.â€

Williams was a freshman at Karns High School in the fall of 2006 when his single mother was killed in an automobile accident, and he went to live with his grandparents.

Down said Ron Stewart, pastor at Grace Baptist Church, saw that Williams was in emotional distress and reached out to help him. And when it became apparent Williams’ grandparents couldn’t afford tuition for Grace Christian in fall of 2007, the pastor and church helped provide for the tuition.

After receiving a letter Feb. 19, regarding possible TSSAA violations, Stewart sent a letter back to the organization stating:

“We would never knowingly do anything to intentionally break a TSSAA rule,†Stewart wrote. “To do that would violate the basic core principles established for GCA and my personal ministry. It was my understanding that as a church we could carry out one of our basic purposes and provide family assistance to orphans and widows. … What I know now that I didn’t know then was that I can help any family in need, but children in that family are not permitted to play high school sports.â€

In his conclusion to the TSSAA, Stewart wrote: “It is my position that if there is a violation of your rules, that it is my fault and I am to blame for not being aware of the rules.â€

Down said Grace Christian will immediately begin the appeal process with the TSSAA. The first part of that process will be for the Grace administration to have a hearing with the three TSSAA board members of this area — Morristown West High School Assistant Principal Mike Reed, Maryville High Assistant Principal Lynn Brown and Sequatchie County High Principal Tommy Layne.

During the meeting, Grace’s administration will be advised as to the next step to be taken, Childress said.

The TSSAA board meets June 15-17 in Murfreesboro, but it will be too late to save the postseason for Grace Christian’s spring sports.

“That’s why I feel bad,†Down said. “The appeal won’t be heard until June, and we can’t salvage the postseason for them (spring sports). Hopefully the fall sports will get a chance (in the postseason).â€

Why does MBA get away with violating a penalty with small, Grace Baptist practically gets the death penalty, May 2010 for basically the same violation. Do you think money has anything to do with it, similar to NCAA and Cam Newton issue.........

Grace Christian Academy’s athletic program has been penalized for using an ineligible football and basketball player who was receiving financial aid for tuition from the pastor at Grace Baptist Church.

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association sent a letter Friday to Grace Christian’s administration in which it said it found the school violated rules by playing senior Eric Williams since the 2007 football season.

Among the TSSAA’s penalties were fines expected to exceed $24,000, a two-year ban from postseason play for the boys basketball and football teams, an immediate one-year ban from postseason play for the entire athletic program and a three-year general probation period.

TSSAA Executive Director Bernard Childress said the $24,000 is the largest sum levied on a school for fines and charges in his 16 years with the association. Grace Academy must pay a $100 fine for each game Williams played because it was not a school-reported violation and repay the TSSAA for all proceeds from postseason tournaments/playoff games in football and basketball since 2007.

“There hasn’t been (that much) in 16 years,†Childress said Monday, “but we haven’t had a situation either where a school had to go back three years to send (to TSSAA) all the money back.â€

The TSSAA’s penalties also state that Grace Academy must vacate any victories in which Williams played during three football seasons (2007-09) and three basketball seasons (2007-10), and any individual or team records and performances achieved during those times must be vacated, stricken or returned to the TSSAA.

Grace Christian Principal Randy Down, who has served as interim athletic director since last year, said the school administration didn’t know it was breaking TSSAA rules.

“Since this was one isolated incident and this action was one of ignorance and not disregarding the rule, we feel strongly about the many student-athletes at GCA who have adhered to TSSAA rules,†Down said. “We feel that the penalties from the TSSAA are unusually harsh. Grace Christian Academy will be appealing the severity and duration of this ruling on behalf of our families and their students.â€

Williams was a freshman at Karns High School in the fall of 2006 when his single mother was killed in an automobile accident, and he went to live with his grandparents.

Down said Ron Stewart, pastor at Grace Baptist Church, saw that Williams was in emotional distress and reached out to help him. And when it became apparent Williams’ grandparents couldn’t afford tuition for Grace Christian in fall of 2007, the pastor and church helped provide for the tuition.

After receiving a letter Feb. 19, regarding possible TSSAA violations, Stewart sent a letter back to the organization stating:

“We would never knowingly do anything to intentionally break a TSSAA rule,†Stewart wrote. “To do that would violate the basic core principles established for GCA and my personal ministry. It was my understanding that as a church we could carry out one of our basic purposes and provide family assistance to orphans and widows. … What I know now that I didn’t know then was that I can help any family in need, but children in that family are not permitted to play high school sports.â€

In his conclusion to the TSSAA, Stewart wrote: “It is my position that if there is a violation of your rules, that it is my fault and I am to blame for not being aware of the rules.â€

Down said Grace Christian will immediately begin the appeal process with the TSSAA. The first part of that process will be for the Grace administration to have a hearing with the three TSSAA board members of this area — Morristown West High School Assistant Principal Mike Reed, Maryville High Assistant Principal Lynn Brown and Sequatchie County High Principal Tommy Layne.

During the meeting, Grace’s administration will be advised as to the next step to be taken, Childress said.

The TSSAA board meets June 15-17 in Murfreesboro, but it will be too late to save the postseason for Grace Christian’s spring sports.

“That’s why I feel bad,†Down said. “The appeal won’t be heard until June, and we can’t salvage the postseason for them (spring sports). Hopefully the fall sports will get a chance (in the postseason).â€

This is what scared me about the MBA situation. I was afraid the boys would be penalized and still afraid of what might happen. This is really sad for Grace Academy. You are penalizing young student athletes that had nothing to do with the problem.

Where does common sense come into play?

Edited by hoosierdad

Chattcity, cbg and retired to the bleachers and all of you that are kindly reading and following this mess, thank you for the nice and interesting comments but sparring here is akin to going to the restroom on a forest fire. MBA must follow the money to get answers. That is always the case. The bag man-who is the former coach- has been washed miles downstream. His first mistake was to not make a copy of the cashiers check put in his faculty mailbox and take it to the headmaster and demand an explanation on September 12,2008. That is the reason stated to the media that he was fired-"lack of leadership in financial aid"- although he has still not been told face to face or by any means other than in the newspaper that he has been fired. He is still teaching. MBA could have bought out his contract for any reason or no reason and said thank you for your time here but it decided to use the pretext of "lack of leadership in financal aid" as a smokescreen or thick fog to appease TSSAA hoping the investigation would end. They guessed or perhaps gambled correctly. The issue now is not whether the coach was pitiful in his job, or whether,as some say, he was a liar, or as others say, he was abusive to players. Alums, donors, parents and the public should seek the truth and demand answers and solutions. That is why disclosure and swift action must be taken against the money man who purchased the cashiers check, all those that handled it and the parents that took it. None of the people should be able to walk away from this for they are some of the spokes of the wheel that came off and went over the cliff.

Chattcity, cbg and retired to the bleachers and all of you that are kindly reading and following this mess, thank you for the nice and interesting comments but sparring here is akin to going to the restroom on a forest fire. MBA must follow the money to get answers. That is always the case. The bag man-who is the former coach- has been washed miles downstream. His first mistake was to not make a copy of the cashiers check put in his faculty mailbox and take it to the headmaster and demand an explanation on September 12,2008. That is the reason stated to the media that he was fired-"lack of leadership in financial aid"- although he has still not been told face to face or by any means other than in the newspaper that he has been fired. He is still teaching. MBA could have bought out his contract for any reason or no reason and said thank you for your time here but it decided to use the pretext of "lack of leadership in financal aid" as a smokescreen or thick fog to appease TSSAA hoping the investigation would end. They guessed or perhaps gambled correctly. The issue now is not whether the coach was pitiful in his job, or whether,as some say, he was a liar, or as others say, he was abusive to players. Alums, donors, parents and the public should seek the truth and demand answers and solutions. That is why disclosure and swift action must be taken against the money man who purchased the cashiers check, all those that handled it and the parents that took it. None of the people should be able to walk away from this for they are some of the spokes of the wheel that came off and went over the cliff.

I agree with you completely, but Bernard has shown that he doesnt have the backbone to do any more with the situation.

MBA cheats. At least that is now publically known. Benard's TSSAA is spineless and it is now publically proven.

I agree with you completely, but Bernard has shown that he doesnt have the backbone to do any more with the situation.

MBA cheats. At least that is now publically known. Benard's TSSAA is spineless and it is now publically proven.

You say that "Benard's TSSAA is spineless" which may or may not be true. Let's not forget that the TSSAA suspended two baseball teams (1 public school and 1 private school) from postseason play due to fighting during a game in Memphis. If the TSSAA Board of Control (which is made up of mostly public school officials) did not like the way that Benard handled the most current MBA situation they could make a change.

Well said. At this point, as an alumnus who donates to MBA, I actually regret that the TSSAA is not sending in people to investigate. Somewhere, someone needs to determine what the facts are, and disclose them with as much transparency as possible. Some things (names of students or their families, for example) should be redacted, but the rest made public to anyone who wants to read it.

At this point, it's impossible to tell what's happened. At one end of the spectrum, it may have just been a collection from altruistic parents, trying to help out one of the MBA family with medical expenses. At the other end, the question arises, Is money routinely passing from nebulous undocumented sources to coaches and from there to player's families? I don't know, and I can't imagine we're likely to find out in the absence of an independent investigation.

It won't be an enjoyable experience. Think colonoscopy while wide awake. But you can't start to fix a problem unless you know what it is.

• Upvote 1

Where does common sense come into play?

Schools that provide financial assistance to students need to realize that when money is raised to cover a distressed student/athlete or donated to a specific student/athlete for emergency reasons, the AD needs to ask, "Is this legal". Common sense should prevail. Check with the TSSAA right then and there and you get your answer. Just don't assume. Maybe it should be the MBA's AD in the unemployment line. "It happened under his watch..sir"!

Did Grace Christian self report itself? or not

Did Grace Christian self report itself? or not

Be realistic....."self reporting" has absolutely nothing to do with it. Schools self report when the top is about to be blown off the entire scandal. If you commit a crime.....and turn yourself in.....are not damages still assessed?

MBA cheated.....their Head Coach cheated......He is a functioning represenative of the institution....MBA SHOULD be punished. MBA IS A CHEATER....THEY HAVE BEEN CAUGHT. IF BERNARD CHILDRESS DOES NOT ADDRESS THIS ISSUE THERE IS A GROWING FIRESTORM TO REMOVE HIM FROM HIS POSITION......