What do you think?

I am going to share with you a scenario. I am not going to name any teams, because I have not actually 100% confirmed all this is true. Share with me your thoughts.

Team X has a successful football program and decides they will start practicing in pads in January. They continue to practice in pads through February. This team's basketball coach gets upset because some of his players are going to football instead of basketball and reports to the TSSAA in late February. The TSSAA investigates concludes that that Team X had practiced for the whole month of January and February in pads.

Anyone want to guess their punishment?

No spring practice. That is it.

Is this a fair punishment?

• 3 weeks later...

:thumb: Well dang...looks like we all start practicing in pads! Go TSSAA. Love the way they throw that dead period in at the worst possible time. Hey, lets workout all offseason and then not let them lift two weeks straight right before the season. Smart move! Rocket scientist.

Agree.

I've never really understood this "dead period" thing. I think it's the TSSAA way of saying: "We want to take vacation around July 4th...we'll just declare a "dead period".

If they really think they need a "dead period" (which I don't) then wouldn't it make more sense to make it the 2 weeks following Spring Fling. That would also conincide closely with graduation, end of school, etc.

Agree.

I've never really understood this "dead period" thing. I think it's the TSSAA way of saying: "We want to take vacation around July 4th...we'll just declare a "dead period".

If they really think they need a "dead period" (which I don't) then wouldn't it make more sense to make it the 2 weeks following Spring Fling. That would also conincide closely with graduation, end of school, etc.

The reasoning I was always was given, which is probably a load of crap, is that most football coaches require players to come to summer workouts, which I think should be required. However, if a player wanted to go on vacation, there are some coaches out there that would hold that player accountable for missing and may even hold a grudge, we all know coaches like that. With the dead period in the middle of the summer, it gives the players a chance to go on a summer vacation with their families without being pressured by their coach to stay or not go. Don't know if that is the real reason, but that was the one I was given.

I am going to share with you a scenario. I am not going to name any teams, because I have not actually 100% confirmed all this is true. Share with me your thoughts.

Team X has a successful football program and decides they will start practicing in pads in January. They continue to practice in pads through February. This team's basketball coach gets upset because some of his players are going to football instead of basketball and reports to the TSSAA in late February. The TSSAA investigates concludes that that Team X had practiced for the whole month of January and February in pads.

So who was it, wouldn't any punishment be determined during a meeting?

The reasoning I was always was given, which is probably a load of crap, is that most football coaches require players to come to summer workouts, which I think should be required. However, if a player wanted to go on vacation, there are some coaches out there that would hold that player accountable for missing and may even hold a grudge, we all know coaches like that. With the dead period in the middle of the summer, it gives the players a chance to go on a summer vacation with their families without being pressured by their coach to stay or not go. Don't know if that is the real reason, but that was the one I was given.

It wasn;t the football coaches. it was the basketball coaches going to camps all summer long, aau teams, traveling teaams in baseball the at the time was usually the high school teams. Now that the TSSAA has restricted the number of days of off season competition and limited the number of players from one high school team that can play on baseball, softball and basketball. It looks to me like they should do away with the dead period.

rules are rules but coach holt(oh i mean coach x)is just mad because the football team is on top and his basketball team doesnt have a Syler Tmith anymore to bring in the crowds like they used to.I talked to coach holt(i mean coach x)the night before the blue cross blue shield bowl and i ask him what time he was leaving and he said"@#*$ you couldnt pay me to go watch the football team."I love coach holt(i mean coach x)but with all the talent that has gone through that school should have had about 5 basketball state titles.Cant we all get along.

Baseball teams playing all summer long? What will they do next?

I wish the dead period was Memorial Day to Labor Day and each sport could apply for a 2 week exemption. Each high school sport gets 2 weeks for camp. The rest of the summer, the guys can play for whichever AAU basketball, Travel baseball or 7 on 7 football team they wanted to and could go to as many camps as they could go to as individuals. June basketball, in particular, doesn't really accomplish all that much. Of course the weight room should be open all summer long to all athletes.

The real problem that exists, especially in the smaller classifications, is the sharing of athletes. Too many coaches and parents try to pigeon hole their kid into concentrating on one sport. One of the ways they are able to accomplish this is through manipulating the athletes summer schedule.

It wasn;t the football coaches. it was the basketball coaches going to camps all summer long, aau teams, traveling teaams in baseball the at the time was usually the high school teams. Now that the TSSAA has restricted the number of days of off season competition and limited the number of players from one high school team that can play on baseball, softball and basketball. It looks to me like they should do away with the dead period.

The restriction on the number of players from one high school does not apply to summer baseball, softball or basketball. It only applies when school is in session.

They could even play during "dead period" as long as their coaches weren't there and they didn't use school facilities.