South Pitt and Signal Mountain scared of Alcoa

ckyfan

Alcoa as far as I know has played McCallie, Maryville, and Fulton just to name a few of their non-district opponents in recent years. In 2007 & 2008 I know that they had to come to the midstate and play White House then in 2009 & 2010 they had to play teams from the state of Kentucky just to complete their 10 game schedule. Why won't William Blount or Heritage play a county rival? The gate for either one of those games would be a large amount.

If anyone thinks that Alcoa playing any school from Rutherford or Williamson County or any midstate private school would make a major difference then they are sadly mistaken.

Maryville spanked Riverdale in '09.

Maryville beat Smyrna in '10.

Alcoa spanked Maryville in '09.

Alcoa beat Maryville in '10.

I'd love to see Alcoa square off against Riverdale, Smyrna, Blackman, Franklin, Brentwood, Brentwood Academy, MBA, or Ensworth. I would have loved to see them play MUS the 2 years that Brunetti was the QB there and they won back-to-back state titles.

I know this to be my honest opinion regarding Alcoa's main challengers in 3A:

CAK would have won the state championship in 1A, 2A, and 4A last year. They would have also won it all in 3A had it not been for Alcoa's being in that class.

Goodpasture and/or Milan would have won the state championship in 1A and 2A. They would have beaten anyone in 3A outside of Alcoa and/or CAK. In 4A they would have beaten anyone besides Greeneville and/or Maplewood. Outside of Alcoa they could have been competitive enough to win 4-5 out of 10 games against any one of those other 3 teams on that list.

South Pitt and Signal's situations are totally different on avoiding this matchup. SP didn't want to play a non-region game roughly 3 hours away. A probable loss would still likely not affect their playoff standing, if so no more than one spot in their bracket. Signal is changing their entire playoff schedule to avoid a team they weren't guaranteed of playing anyway. If SP moved to Class 2A playoffs to avoid someone (just an example, Union City), that would be a good comparison. It almost appears they threw SP into the article to make Signal not look so bad.

The reason it's funny to me is how you had some on here saying the reason was they'd be moving up eventually anyway, why not go ahead and do it. If that was the case, they should have moved up to Class AA regular season anyway as it was clear it would be a quick destination-and should have been clear that would be an accurate classification before the period ended.

Very insightful post. Charlie totally agrees. Probably a wise decision on Signal's part,, in 3A everyone knows it is almost impossible to win a state title over Alcoa, heck it has been impossible. But also in the southeast, as howdoitknow pointed out, you have to deal with the playoff quad that includes CAK, POLK, LOUDON, TYNER,,,,, Funniest part is how all the fan's defended the move, saying it wasn't really because of ALCOA, then Price puts it on the front page that YEAH, IT REALLY WAS..

Very insightful post. Charlie totally agrees. Probably a wise decision on Signal's part,, in 3A everyone knows it is almost impossible to win a state title over Alcoa, heck it has been impossible. But also in the southeast, as howdoitknow pointed out, you have to deal with the playoff quad that includes CAK, POLK, LOUDON, TYNER,,,,, Funniest part is how all the fan's defended the move, saying it wasn't really because of ALCOA, then Price puts it on the front page that YEAH, IT REALLY WAS..[/size]

:thumb: +10

Very insightful post. Charlie totally agrees. Probably a wise decision on Signal's part,, in 3A everyone knows it is almost impossible to win a state title over Alcoa, heck it has been impossible. But also in the southeast, as howdoitknow pointed out, you have to deal with the playoff quad that includes CAK, POLK, LOUDON, TYNER,,,,, Funniest part is how all the fan's defended the move, saying it wasn't really because of ALCOA, then Price puts it on the front page that YEAH, IT REALLY WAS..

that reporter is a communist and a fruitfly.if you don't believe me,just read his articles.

Alcoa as far as I know has played McCallie, Maryville, and Fulton just to name a few of their non-district opponents in recent years. In 2007 & 2008 I know that they had to come to the midstate and play White House then in 2009 & 2010 they had to play teams from the state of Kentucky just to complete their 10 game schedule. Why won't William Blount or Heritage play a county rival? The gate for either one of those games would be a large amount.

If anyone thinks that Alcoa playing any school from Rutherford or Williamson County or any midstate private school would make a major difference then they are sadly mistaken.

Maryville spanked Riverdale in '09.

Maryville beat Smyrna in '10.

Alcoa spanked Maryville in '09.

Alcoa beat Maryville in '10.

I'd love to see Alcoa square off against Riverdale, Smyrna, Blackman, Franklin, Brentwood, Brentwood Academy, MBA, or Ensworth. I would have loved to see them play MUS the 2 years that Brunetti was the QB there and they won back-to-back state titles.

I know this to be my honest opinion regarding Alcoa's main challengers in 3A:

CAK would have won the state championship in 1A, 2A, and 4A last year. They would have also won it all in 3A had it not been for Alcoa's being in that class.

Goodpasture and/or Milan would have won the state championship in 1A and 2A. They would have beaten anyone in 3A outside of Alcoa and/or CAK. In 4A they would have beaten anyone besides Greeneville and/or Maplewood. Outside of Alcoa they could have been competitive enough to win 4-5 out of 10 games against any one of those other 3 teams on that list.

With Milan and Goodpasture's enrollment, they should be able to win in 1a or 2a but I wouldn't count on walking by T.C., SP or Sissy Mtn last year. C.A.K was the only team that could stay on the field with Alcoa last year but Polk County wasn't far behind CAK. There is a reason that AA (3a + 4a) schools are AA schools.

Edited by rlh

• 2 weeks later...

Was the game between SP and Alcoa supposed to be a regular season game? Someone at the Dixie Freeze said that it supposed to be a scrimmage game.

Roy, have you been listening to wepg? The same guy said that they announced on swap and shop that they won't carry SP football this year. Will you be ok or will Daddy buy you a ticket to go?

Edited by HomeFieldAdvantage

You might have some teams that could matchup with them for a quarter then I guess it would snowball down hill from there. If we were close to there enrollment I would say sure give it a shot but they have 100 players that can play some real ball folk's. I'd say if you want to play even halfway close to them you need to have 44 players that know the game and can play it. I'm sorry but Alcoa is on another page when it come's to HS Football. Scared to play them? No I think it's smarter not to play them!!!By the way they are the best team in TN and that includes all the colleges in my book!!!

UT's practice squad would kill Alcoa. MTSU's practice squad would kill Alcoa. Alcoa would beat Vandy. :roflol: Just kidding. Alcoa has dominated high school football now for a lot of years. I remember watching them kill everyone, and only lose to Maryville. Now they beat everyone including Maryville. Sportsman is right though SP and Alcoa should not be mentioned in the same sentence. The difference in the number of kids is substantial when it comes to SP, and who they schedule. Signal on the other hand will have to play them sooner or later. They are just trying to win as many games and look as good as possible right now. Who can blame them? When they think they are ready they will be playing Alcoa. The only question is will they be? I doubt it.

UT's practice squad would kill Alcoa. MTSU's practice squad would kill Alcoa. Alcoa would beat Vandy. :roflol: Just kidding. Alcoa has dominated high school football now for a lot of years. I remember watching them kill everyone, and only lose to Maryville. Now they beat everyone including Maryville. Sportsman is right though SP and Alcoa should not be mentioned in the same sentence. The difference in the number of kids is substantial when it comes to SP, and who they schedule. Signal on the other hand will have to play them sooner or later. They are just trying to win as many games and look as good as possible right now. Who can blame them? When they think they are ready they will be playing Alcoa. The only question is will they be? I doubt it.

Why will Signal have to play Alcoa?